Disappearing Corvids

Last week we were requested via a text to shoot a small five acre field  of barley as it was being ravaged by pigeons and corvids. The instructions requested that the corvids be left on the field to deter others. We left the field with approx fifty corvids scattered and processed the pigeons.

The farmer phoned on Tuesday and asked us why we did not leave the corvids on the field as it was devoid of any birds and feathers??

We shot it again on Sunday and this time left seventy birds on the field, had a call today not a bird on the field ??

I can understand a fox or badgers removing a few but not all.

Im just concerned that a local cat or dog has presented there owner with one hundred and twenty " presents" at  there back door!!

Any Ideas.

I actually find foxes will rarely take corvids and if they did there'd likely still be a fair bit of evidence in my experience. round my area there are so many red kites and buzzards (I am talking 100+ circling the mower when they silage) and they seem to love the crows they will eat enough where it is until they can pick it up then take the rest off to favourite trees where they eventually let the wings fall to the floor once they've demolished them and they will clear up 50/70 crows in no time at all! so if you have many of them your way could well be those.

Interesting. I would have said foxes and or badgers. We’ve never been asked to leave them on the field, but are often asked to leave a few hanging upside down on the barbed wire fence or hedge.....corvids do not like this at all and will shy away. 

9 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

No totally clean field, that's why I reported it , normally some trace of the birds left??

DB did suggest the local Currie house, bad lad!!

hello, ok so in just a few day 50 dead corvids disappear leaving no trace,  raptors ? badger ? fox ?   very intriguing

17 hours ago, KillStone said:

I actually find foxes will rarely take corvids and if they did there'd likely still be a fair bit of evidence in my experience. round my area there are so many red kites and buzzards (I am talking 100+ circling the mower when they silage) and they seem to love the crows they will eat enough where it is until they can pick it up then take the rest off to favourite trees where they eventually let the wings fall to the floor once they've demolished them and they will clear up 50/70 crows in no time at all! so if you have many of them your way could well be those.

I always leave corvids in a hedge bottom and find they never get touched by foxes , always just rot down naturally. 

Is it an age thing? Are you sure you went back to the same field?😀

Seriously though, that is a large quantity of birds to just disappear. Even if fox etc had taken them I am sure there would be some trace, feathers in hedge or under a fence that the animal had passed through. My guess would be human interference of some sort.

24 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Is it an age thing? Are you sure you went back to the same field?😀

Seriously though, that is a large quantity of birds to just disappear. Even if fox etc had taken them I am sure there would be some trace, feathers in hedge or under a fence that the animal had passed through. My guess would be human interference of some sort.

We did think it could be a local , but for what purpose.

17 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

We did think it could be a local , but for what purpose.

Just a random thought is there a chance some local do gooder saw a load of dead birds in a field and collected them for some kind of investigation into how they died? That huge flocks of starlings found dead recently might have buoyed someone to investigate having not realised cause of death was deliberate human activity?

10 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

No totally clean field, that's why I reported it , normally some trace of the birds left??

DB did suggest the local Currie house, bad lad!!

THAT may just not be as batty as it sounds though   ??

5 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

Just a random thought is there a chance some local do gooder saw a load of dead birds in a field and collected them for some kind of investigation into how they died? That huge flocks of starlings found dead recently might have buoyed someone to investigate having not realised cause of death was deliberate human activity?

Perhaps they are making a new Harry Potter film and needed extras  ?