Working dog/pet

1 minute ago, 12gauge82 said:

Dogs are not robots and just like people, will come with all sorts of issues, the point is, you can have a well trained dog who is also a pet.

My dogs are very well behaved, although I'm no oracle, my mate I mentioned earlier is exceptional and his dogs have won many competitions, they are also family pets.

What makes them a family pet? You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about whether people's dogs are family pets or not ... I could never throw a retrive for my dog in its life time ... does that mean it's not a family pet? 

I'm not sure why you keep going on about them being pets or not ... I bet your mate who's dogs are pets don't let just anyone take his dog for a walk or do things that will mess up the training he does with them ... 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

What makes them a family pet? You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about whether people's dogs are family pets or not ... I could never throw a retrive for my dog in its life time ... does that mean it's not a family pet? 

I'm not sure why you keep going on about them being pets or not ... I bet your mate who's dogs are pets don't let just anyone take his dog for a walk or do things that will mess up the training he does with them ... 

No bee in my bonnet, just makes me laugh when I see rubbish like jdog being posted like it's fact.

I bet he doesn't get many guest round for lunch anymore.

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

A trial dog is just a well trained shooting dog, with a bit of added polish ... a trial WINNING dog, is the same but with a lot of luck! 

Luck and good connections 😉

Most of the men and women I know who trial seriously do not use their trialling dogs for anything other than trialling and training for trials. They have their other dogs for that. Once they have been made up to FTCh (or failed to) and retired then they work them like normal. I do not have the time, space or effort for that! 

Well for what its worth Jdog and Lloyd are right, my dog is very well trained and no one is allowed to play fetch or anything like that. He is however also a house dog that my Mrs spoils silly. It's a pleasure not a chore working him as other's have said look at the amount of so called good dog's on a shoot most of them are nothing more than a nuisance and can at time's spoil your own shooting as they run about doing what they want. 

As a case point my niece had her first dog a lovely little Springer and the agreement with her family was to stick to certain rules, the dog was coming along nicely when we started having a few issues but could not understand why. It turned out to be when she was at work the family just let the dog do what it wanted, kicking balls letting it chase thing's and all the time thinking how much fun the dog was having. 

She has now a pet Springer that's sometime is ok but at time's does what it wants although she loves the dog she is disappointed that we cannot take it shooting .

Edited by B725

17 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Luck and good connections 😉

Most of the men and women I know who trial seriously do not use their trialling dogs for anything other than trialling and training for trials. They have their other dogs for that. Once they have been made up to FTCh (or failed to) and retired then they work them like normal. I do not have the time, space or effort for that! 

I can see why thought ... when your top trial prospect is coming back with a rettieve only to be mugged by someone else's poorly trained dog grabbing a retrieve off it and making it then reluctant to come back, or hard mouthed or even make a noise, what a nuisance! 

The trial lads that I know either go rough shooting on their own, or with other trial lads... proper spaniel work, dogs being hunted hard, shot over and picking their own birds, or a bunch of them have made their own little syndicate and therefore mostly all the dogs on the shoot are all trained to a high standard, so they don't have to worry about it.

As 12gauge82 said... dogs are not robots and will always go wrong at times, it's when someone else's dog is going wrong and it impacts on other people, other people's dogs, and the shoot that I think it gets ridiculous. 

Yes we have veered off the original thread and I may be partly responsible for which I apologise.

Just in case 12gauge82 thinks that I am a tyrant with my dogs I attach a photo which might allay his fears. A few months ago when I returned from hospital my wife went out and Barney took the opportunity to comfort me whilst I was in bed.

(from a fellow LUFC supporter).

957F3CC9-5F6F-4958-9CB0-7D55DBAC6328.jpeg

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Yes we have veered off the original thread and I may be partly responsible for which I apologise.

Just in case 12gauge82 thinks that I am a tyrant with my dogs I attach a photo which might allay his fears. A few months ago when I returned from hospital my wife went out and Barney took the opportunity to comfort me whilst I was in bed.

(from a fellow LUFC supporter).

957F3CC9-5F6F-4958-9CB0-7D55DBAC6328.jpeg

Brilliant 🤣

Ted has taken to waiting until Amy is up and about then bouncing upstairs and jumping up and down on me as I snooze!! 

I don't think its veered away from the OP asking the question,it has highlighted the fact it may not be straight forward for him training a cocker pup  with hound children unless they set out rule's from day one and eveyone must stick to them otherwise he will probably end up disappointed with the dog. Yes it can be done as has been explained.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/05/2020 at 12:53, Old farrier said:

We seem to have got away from the op original question 

hopefully some of the responses won’t put him off of confuse him too much 

a few ground rules and then a lot of hard work and it’s a pleasure 

the best advice in the thread was give big bird a call 👍

I forgot to ask you what you use that Golden Retriever for and how you find them?

Amy has liked them for a while... although for different reasons to me (she's says they're fluffy :lol:) ... perhaps we will have one of them one day. She wants a show one, they're apparently fluffier :hmm: ... I'm sure if I got a working one and brushed it's hair upwards it could look fluffy. 

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I forgot to ask you what you use that Golden Retriever for and how you find them?

Amy has liked them for a while... although for different reasons to me (she's says they're fluffy :lol:) ... perhaps we will have one of them one day. She wants a show one, they're apparently fluffier :hmm: ... I'm sure if I got a working one and brushed it's hair upwards it could look fluffy. 

Picking up peg dog and constant companion 

E4D32275-CE83-4674-B49C-0694E6D21B0E.jpeg

558C73CF-7866-4BB9-BC99-B2A7BB7F30BA.png