Advice for new shooter

Good Morning all, 

Some advice needed, I have been shooting clays on & off for a years however I would say i'm an average shot but recently a friend of mine has had a lesson & loved it, needless to say he applied for his SGC which has now arrived. On his lesson he shot off his left shoulder as he had a motorcycle accident and struggled to shoot off his right even though he is right handed. He is now looking for his first gun, I have limited advice on o/u as I always shoot a Semi & I think my advice would be biased. His budget is £600-800 & will probably shoot sporting twice a month (once lock down is over) to start with. Any Advice on a o/u will be greatly received,......

ps.I've told him to join this site

Surely only advice is the gun that fits him best and is in his budget? Anyone could say a beretta xxx or a browning xxxx but who knows what will fit your friend. Shop around at gun shops who’ll hopefully help him find a nice used one that’ll fit him properly. That’d be my advice. 

My advice to a new shooter? Buy something that is Superior Steel Proof and don't waste your money on joining BASC but join an organisation like the CPSA that covers you with insurance for live quarry shooting as well as clay shooting and didn't sign up to the lead shot nonsense that BASC and others did.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally purchased a gun within budge, a Beretta 686s 28' fixed choked at a 1/4 & 1/4 which I though was unusual but I thought it was reasonably priced at £700....Whilst it'a r/h gun it fits my friend very well who will be shooting it l/h.

Does anyone have experience of these guns & does anyone still shoot one ?

1 hour ago, Raymondinio said:

Finally purchased a gun within budge, a Beretta 686s 28' fixed choked at a 1/4 & 1/4 which I though was unusual but I thought it was reasonably priced at £700....Whilst it'a r/h gun it fits my friend very well who will be shooting it l/h.

Does anyone have experience of these guns & does anyone still shoot one ?

I have had a Beretta 686s from 1986, and have used it on clays, game and everything else. Had many thousands of cartridges through it and only had one problem last year when firing pin went. Mine is choked 1/4 and 1/2 and is 28" barrelled. Have tried other guns but would not sell it and swop because it really is like an old friend.