Are these scams?

Mickeydredd

Been looking at some Defenders on ebay that appear very reasonably priced (reflected as a Classified Ad). e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Land-Rover-Defender-90-TD5/324146470478?_trkparms=aid%3D888008%26algo%3DDISC.CARDS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225114%26meid%3D33da5b96f06c4d0ab9b746debfac59fe%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D114204333946%26itm%3D324146470478%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDiscV1&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Interestingly they appear to have a similar footnote :  

For any enquiries please message or call. I wont be checking eBay so for more details please contact my number thank you!

Does this note signify a scam?

phone the number and ask a few questions,  If there is any suggestion of strange free delivery and or "selling for an offshore mate or partner" usually requesting you pay a deposit that "ebay will hold for you until you have received delivery of it" walk away its a scam. and an old one at that.

The other thing to bear in mind is would you be happy to go to a previously unknown meeting place with 5k in your pocket??

and then finding no bargain landrover but a group of dubious looking lowlifes to roll you for your cash and worse.

years ago I heard of a scam often used at appleby fair, whereby a bloke would offer you 500 quid to take him home to a dying relative, and would pay upfront, the unsuspecting victim often being somewhat driven by greed and stupidity would take the cash and off they would go, 3 miles up the road and the guy requests you pull into the next lay by as he needs a ****, and guess what , ? his mates are waiting , you lose the 500 quid, any cash you may have on you, your watch,phone, vehicle, and often given a good kicking as well.

by the time you get to report it to a largely uninterested police [your the 5th in the last two days.] the car is long gone and your cash is likely in the pocket of the next poor mug driving some stranger home to bury his poor old mum.

Edited by REDINGTON

7 hours ago, flyeruk said:

Looks too good to be true.Seller has no feedbacks.

Proceed with caution 

quite often the little used ebay accounts are hacked, one clue is in the entire history the seller has sold and bought a few small insignificant items,, suddenly they have for sale 3/4 of a million quids worth of luxury vehicles and all at bargain prices.

another is the instruction to contact by a mobile number, therefore removing any dialog from ebay messages. and any protections it might offer.

they have been on ebay since 2016

good feedback

only i item for sale on ebay just now the defender

tdci bonnet 

expensive grill and light surround

6 seats 

rock sliders

private plate ??

62 thousand  ,miles tallies with mot

reg number on dvla matches description and is taxed ,mot matches date given

my opinion ,,,far far to cheap  that year  they  average around the 10 thou mark if nothing drastic wrong with it,,, last change in log book 2018 only last two years of mots listed on dvla  would be very WARY on this one just sounds and looks to good to be TRUE, but i could be wrong  it could be a steal at that price

Saying that just found another same year for 4 1/2 thousand on ebay but  a lot of fails over the years .never seen so many advisories on a motor

Edited by AULD YIN
add on info

A reverse image search shows this for sale on news now classified ads in March 2019. The images on eBay are identical in every way. There is also a couple more defender ads that are the same. Also on some Discovery’s on gumtree. 

On 07/05/2020 at 12:18, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, interesting buster jacks take on the Romanians, !!!!!

I believe the reference was aimed squarely at the scammers in particular,  and not all romanians or eastern europeans.  

how do you interpret the wording.? 

3 minutes ago, REDINGTON said:

I believe the reference was aimed squarely at the scammers in particular,  and not all romanians or eastern europeans.  

how do you interpret the wording.? 

hello, the word take was quoted at what buster jack had stated , an old fashioned word for he/she view on a subject, i just go by facts eg proved to be true

There appears to be a growing number of people who, whenever a criminal is identified to be of a certain origin, or colour,  start to accuse anyone stating this, no matter how factual,of "racism" or "xenophobic".

I find it quite odd, for instance if a thief were described as "tall" or thin, or short, fat, fair or dark haired,  nobody would comment.

It goes without saying not all fitting the above category are of a criminal  persuasion.

as you rightly state facts are exactly that,, but many just won't accept it.

Edited by REDINGTON

I also Reported this 3 days ago after contacting the seller  but they don’t care and it’s still on there. They never even contacted me to ask reasons why. The seller is trying the normal  I will arrange to have a company deliver it etc etc. 

Reported a similar one yesterday for a mini digger listed on there. Had a few messages back and fore with seller saying things like "I will deliver for no extra cost as there's no travelling allowed", "we would have to use an escrow service" or "you would have 5 days to decide if you like it or PayPal won't release your money" and loads of other obvious scam lines. 

Sent me a pic of their passport too.

Even a Google of the name of the seller shows it's a regular scammer.

EBay don't care.

Edd