Cartridge choice for pigeons

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nickbar 

if you decoying and place your decoys between 18 & 30 steps from your hide, then a 28g no7.5 cartridge will do a fine job.

Choke your gun at 1/2 & 3/4 and you will have a good choke / cartridge combination for the job.

I have been using LA Joker, Trust & Prima which are usually the cheapest and I have shot hundreds with this combination.

Hitman 

11 hours ago, the hitman said:

Nickbar 

if you decoying and place your decoys between 18 & 30 steps from your hide, then a 28g no7.5 cartridge will do a fine job.

Choke your gun at 1/2 & 3/4 and you will have a good choke / cartridge combination for the job.

I have been using LA Joker, Trust & Prima which are usually the cheapest and I have shot hundreds with this combination.

Hitman 

Sorry my post might have been a bit misleading, i wasnt after advice (iv'e been shooting now for over 35 years) and quite good at it 😁 i was just being nosey, thanks anyway👍

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Depends totally on the gun im shooting .

Which gun are you shooting ? 

Beretta 692 1/2 and 1/2 with eley pigeon select

27 minutes ago, nickbar said:

Sorry my post might have been a bit misleading, i wasnt after advice (iv'e been shooting now for over 35 years) and quite good at it 😁 i was just being nosey, thanks anyway👍

Beretta 692 1/2 and 1/2 with eley pigeon select

No worries 

Always good to know what others are using.

Hitman 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i do not shoot much these day but i find the clay cartridges 28g 7.5s ok, and tend to use more choke

Im tending to sit about 1/2 or slightly tighter for the birds at range although the RC are a not a true 6 but a 51/2 wjeathrr that make any major difference or not 

1 hour ago, Salmo said:

Im tending to sit about 1/2 or slightly tighter for the birds at range although the RC are a not a true 6 but a 51/2 wjeathrr that make any major difference or not 

hello, i would not worry myself, just get shooting, i should mention using 7.5s i use 3/4 and full chokes

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

18 hours ago, Scully said:

My choice would be Clear Pigeon 32g 6’s, but the landowner sometimes pays us in cartridges, so whatever he supplies sometimes. 
The Clear Pigeon are also superb for bolting bunnies through half and quarter, even going away. 

I found them a bit rubbish on pigeons using 1/4 in my semi auto ... lot of pricked birds (these were the slightly older dark grey cases). 

I did however find them very effective through my SxS choked 1/2 and full ... especially the full ... with the combo I dropped some 50+ yards pigeons (measured out) and some serious range pheasants including going away birds. 

47 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i would not worry myself, just get shooting, i should mention using 7.5s i use 3/4 and full chokes

I have an occasional companion who uses 7 1/2 through half and three quarter chokes to some effect. I have suggested that he swaps the half for full.

14 minutes ago, JDog said:

I have an occasional companion who uses 7 1/2 through half and three quarter chokes to some effect. I have suggested that he swaps the half for full.

hello, thanks to reply, i have tried all  6 screw chokes in my O/U starting with improved/1/4 / 1/4 half/ half/3/4/ 3/4 full with 7.5s,  3/4 and full tend to do best if i shoot straight, i do tend to buy the cheapest going when JC has a bin end sale

Edited by oldypigeonpopper