Pigeon and crow decoying kit

Hi guys so due to covid-19 I have been unable to get enough footage of shooting to make put a video together, I have plenty of ideas of future episodes but for now the lockdown has put all of those on hold! Instead I decided to make a walkthrough video of the kit that I use to go decoying with brief description/instruction on each. Ill admit I cant wait to be able to invest in better/proper recording equipment so apologies for the poorer quality particularly wind noise but might still be of use for any new shooters on here wondering how to get started. If it helps anyone or gives you something to watch for a minute or two then its worthwhile I figure! Again excuse the quality oh and the funny looking fella whining on and on 😅 will get to shut up and shoot soon I promise!

Stay safe and good shooting!

6 hours ago, Centrepin said:

A piece of constructive criticism, take off your hat and talk to the camera. All I see is the top of your head.

Good idea to make a series of basic instructional vids. I think they'll be well received. 

Appreciate the comment as ever thanks and I will take note- and as soon as I can get the lockdown hair back to the barbers and under control I shall indeed lose the hat for when I talk to the camera 🙈😂 thanks for watching and taking the time to comment 🙂

3 hours ago, KillStone said:

Appreciate the comment as ever thanks and I will take note- and as soon as I can get the lockdown hair back to the barbers and under control I shall indeed lose the hat for when I talk to the camera 🙈😂 thanks for watching and taking the time to comment 🙂

Just glad you didn't take the comment wrong.

Interesting to see other peoples kit. Nice to know I'm not the only one using age old kit and painting old pigeon half shells black as crow decoys. I also put out a few crows off to one side for decoying pigeons. It seems to work.

I'm experimenting with just two magpies off to one side as well, so far it's been keeping them away🤪

Good luck with the vids👍

On 06/05/2020 at 20:23, KillStone said:

Hi guys so due to covid-19 I have been unable to get enough footage of shooting to make put a video together, I have plenty of ideas of future episodes but for now the lockdown has put all of those on hold! Instead I decided to make a walkthrough video of the kit that I use to go decoying with brief description/instruction on each. Ill admit I cant wait to be able to invest in better/proper recording equipment so apologies for the poorer quality particularly wind noise but might still be of use for any new shooters on here wondering how to get started. If it helps anyone or gives you something to watch for a minute or two then its worthwhile I figure! Again excuse the quality oh and the funny looking fella whining on and on 😅 will get to shut up and shoot soon I promise!

Stay safe and good shooting!

Good video,the Nitehawk cradles,well made as you said but do you not find the 'props' for the birds heads to be too long/high?,the ones on mine were 135mm long & at that length the birds were literally hanging from them so i cut them down to 80mm & put a sharp point on them,personally i find that to be much better.

Cradles-1.jpg

Cradles-2.jpg

9 hours ago, 51/50 said:

Good video,the Nitehawk cradles,well made as you said but do you not find the 'props' for the birds heads to be too long/high?,the ones on mine were 135mm long & at that length the birds were literally hanging from them so i cut them down to 80mm & put a sharp point on them,personally i find that to be much better.

Cradles-1.jpg

Cradles-2.jpg

I did think the same actually! not by much for an adult pigeon as I found they still sat on the body of the cradle but just had the neck extended a bit like they would when you see them reaching for aah buds so not necessarily unnatural but not what we would  expect to see on a field. However, I haven’t yet cut them down purely because I thought the way they display the neck may show the white flash around the neck of the bird a little more prominently and that this may be the thought behind the design? I also thought about putting a point on them the reason I didn’t is that when pushing the birds onto it I know I’m going to end up being heavy handed on a busy day in a rush and push too hard and end up skewering my hand on it- or at least that’s all I could think of when I was going to do it so I left it! Would be easier for sure and the reduction in height that you’ve done may well be something I do to at least a percentage of the cradles as that would look more like how we see a pigeon on a field for sure (will keep some at full height for the bigger crows). I do like your idea for storing them though! I will get myself a suitable bit of tune for sure👍🏼 

I personally find that corvids & pigeons sit fine in the cradles with the head mounting bars at 80mm long but i'd suggest you experiment to find what you're happy with,cutting them down a bit at a time,when i mount the birds heads onto the bars i grip the head between my thumb & forefinger & with the bars being pointed it doesn't take a great deal of force to secure them,there's little chance of you spiking yourself,the storage/transportation idea was just a quick solution i came up with,there's probably better ones out there,it's just a 295mm length of 25mm diameter pvc pipe with a slot cut out to prevent the bottom 2 cradles from spinning around then i just secure all the cradles together with a couple of small bungee cords,works fine,i can just bung them in the kit trolley & not worry about them getting tangled up with everything else.

20200511-141228.jpg

I can't remember where the small bungee cords came from,had them lying in the shed for years knowing they'd come in handy for something.