What is this bone off?

39TDS

Could any of you knowledgeable folk identify this bone for me. It's in a terrible state having just come out of some peat I was digging in. 

It is a shoulder blade off something but would just be interested to know what. 

IMG_20200506_143442.jpg

IMG_20200506_143452.jpg

26 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

A larger mammal but nothing as big as a cow or a horse. Deer probably. Or maybe there's been a murder ☠️👻

Thank you for the reply, my thought was probably deer but I wouldn't know the difference between deer or cow or even boar for that matter.

Digging a new pond out and it was in a layer of peat that was covered by sand and clay and soil layers. You can find twigs, tree trunks, intact hazel nuts and things in there but first time I have seen a bone of any sort. 

There must have been a lot of water flowing to have covered the peat with 3-4' of sand so I think most likely melting ice from last ice age. I have farmed the land for nearly 50 years and seen some flooding in that time but the amount of water needed to wash that much sand would be incredible. Can only be melt water imo.

Just fascinating to think how many thousands of years old the bone would be.

Edited by 39TDS

1 hour ago, vmaxphil said:

Get in touch with the local archeological society they might be interested also you might get your pond dug for free 😉

Good idea. A bit like the bank robber who phoned his elderly dad from prison in the springtime to tell him he'd buried all his ill gotten gains in his veg patch, having listened to the recording from prison the police went and duly dug over the veg patch just in time for spring planting 😉

@39TDS Maybe it's a dinosaur 🦕 a little one 😂

I don't own the field any more so not my place to call the archaeologists. I am all for preserving history but in this case it is just nature stuff rather than ancient people stuff.

Having said that, two fields away I found a collection of worked flints. Maybe 15-20 flints as if someone had sat there all day knapping flints.

The plough had brought them up so nowhere near as deep as this bone. I did tell the archaeologists about the flints but they couldn't have been any less interested

5 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

Good idea. A bit like the bank robber who phoned his elderly dad from prison in the springtime to tell him he'd buried all his ill gotten gains in his veg patch, having listened to the recording from prison the police went and duly dug over the veg patch just in time for spring planting 😉

@39TDS Maybe it's a dinosaur 🦕 a little one 😂

That's actually true. It happened in the village where I live maybe thirty or more years ago.

Great interesting find! Same with flints. Hard to tell from pics, if you are going to keep it be careful drying it. Air dry slow. It may decay rapidly now exposed as looks in poor condition. Coat of PVA will seal and protect it once dried out. If you take it anywhere for ID get a receipt if leaving it. Boffins "lost" some of my finds in past.       NB