Ultimate bread maker bread

Mungler

Alrighty, one benefit of the lockdown is that I have perfected bread maker machine bread. It is based on the Tesco recipe.

350ml luke warm water

1 tablespoon of milk powder (marvel)

500g strong white bread flour
1 ½ tsp fine salt
1 tsp caster sugar
7g fast action yeast

All you do is sling it in your bread maker, select any old fast bake setting and hit start. After the initial 15 to 20 minute needing cycle, turn the machine off and walk away for a couple of hours and let it prove.

When you come back - hit fast bake (most are a 1 hour 55 minute cycle) and just let it do it’s thing.

The thing about day to day practical bread making is you have to be able to automate the process - I found a teaspoon that holds exactly 7g of yeast and a large coffee cup two scoops of which delivers 500g of flour.

I can throw a loaf on in under 60 seconds and without error.

38 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Alrighty, one benefit of the lockdown is that I have perfected bread maker machine bread. It is based on the Tesco recipe.

350ml luke warm water

1 tablespoon of milk powder (marvel)

500g strong white bread flour
1 ½ tsp fine salt
1 tsp caster sugar
7g fast action yeast

All you do is sling it in your bread maker, select any old fast bake setting and hit start. After the initial 15 to 20 minute needing cycle, turn the machine off and walk away for a couple of hours and let it prove.

When you come back - hit fast bake (most are a 1 hour 55 minute cycle) and just let it do it’s thing.

The thing about day to day practical bread making is you have to be able to automate the process - I found a teaspoon that holds exactly 7g of yeast and a large coffee cup two scoops of which delivers 500g of flour.

I can throw a loaf on in under 60 seconds and without error.

hello, that sound delicious, any photos, i can still remember the smell of our old village baker

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, that sound delicious, any photos, i can still remember the smell of our old village baker

Had BO did he? 😂

Quite right nothing like the smell of fresh home baked bread. Cut the crust off and spread with lashings of butter. Yum yum.

My advice is, ditch the machine and get your hands in.

Also, if you ever do go the hand made route, buy some percentage scales and use the percentage method of baking. Much more accurate and dead easy to vary size of loaf without a degree in mathematics. 👍

I always make my bread overnight, using the machine's delay function. That way I wake up to the smell of fresh bread.

The scarcity of bread flour during the lockdown has meant that I have made rye bread (found that in my local Eastern European corner shop) and plenty of spelt bread. Same recipe. Both turned out well.

2 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Had BO did he? 😂

Quite right nothing like the smell of fresh home baked bread. Cut the crust off and spread with lashings of butter. Yum yum.

My advice is, ditch the machine and get your hands in.

Also, if you ever do go the hand made route, buy some percentage scales and use the percentage method of baking. Much more accurate and dead easy to vary size of loaf without a degree in mathematics. 👍

hello, well if he did i never noticed with the smell of his baking, made the best Lardy cake ever,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I’ve got 3 teenagers in the house - we do a loaf a day and so automation is key.

I fell back into this with the lock down and when the bag of flour I ordered off amazon turned out to be 16 kilos - in fairness we’re over half way through it (running at 1/2 kg a day).

2 hours ago, Mungler said:

I’ve got 3 teenagers in the house - we do a loaf a day and so automation is key.

I fell back into this with the lock down and when the bag of flour I ordered off amazon turned out to be 16 kilos - in fairness we’re over half way through it (running at 1/2 kg a day).

hello, thats a lot of sandwiches from what i remember when my 2 boys were teenagers, best wishes to you all

4 hours ago, amateur said:

I always make my bread overnight, using the machine's delay function. That way I wake up to the smell of fresh bread.

The scarcity of bread flour during the lockdown has meant that I have made rye bread (found that in my local Eastern European corner shop) and plenty of spelt bread. Same recipe. Both turned out well.

We got a load of Hungarian flour out of the corner shop - Coarser than a drunk navvy, but makes lovely dumplings and flatbreads

4 hours ago, Mungler said:

Same boat mate, just slightly younger kids.  We used to occasionally make a loaf in the bread maker, but as lockdown kicked in we picked up a sack of flour from our local bakery and set the kids the job of keeping us in bread- it’s been brilliant, they’re making a loaf a day and mixing the types of bread too, it fills another chunk of their day .... I hope we keep it up,when we come out of this.

4 hours ago, Mungler said:

I have just had 16kg delivered and for me, it is the quantity I will continue to buy. Having a good supply of flour and yeast on hand encourages me to bake. We make pizza, bread or tea cakes most days of the week. The only complaint is from the bathroom scales ☹️

Not sure why you leave it for a couple of hours after the first mixing cycle? - my Panasonic bakes a huge loaf in just under 2 hours total and if it was to rise any higher it would hit the lid? Flour improver is worth adding and learning when your machine has finished mixing is wise - you can then gently push the dough to one side and remove the paddle, saves having that big gash on the bottom of the loaf. If you ever see any WESSEX MILL french bread flour give it a try - bread seems to stay fresh much longer.

21 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, well if he did i never noticed with the smell of his baking, made the best Lardy cake ever,

I love a good lardy cake, but the ones today are nothing like the ones I remember as a youngster, anyone got a good recipe?

6 minutes ago, old'un said:

I love a good lardy cake, but the ones today are nothing like the ones I remember as a youngster, anyone got a good recipe?

hello, a new bakers took over when the old one packed up, its a farm type shop, their lardy cake is nothing like the ones Mr Jacques  made, he was born at the old bakery in 1916, and interesting the new bakery still use the original oven a 1939 Collins Tridex

My number 1 positive from the lockdown has been finding and using the panasonic bread maker (an unused wedding present from many years back)

I cannot believe how quick, easy and mess free the whole process is. The bread is delicious, and made me realise how i have become accustomed to eating mass produced, tasteless bread from the supermarket because of a perceived convenience.