HW35 lockdown project

Smokersmith

Gents,

I’ve some work to do! Pictured below is what I think is a 40+ year old HW35. My father had it at his work (sprayshop!) for most of these years.

Any advice for doing it up? I’ve done stocks before so the woodwork should be no problem, and I can reblue the ironwork also. 

Mechanically, what should I look out for?

It put a slug where I fired it this morning, so hopefully not too much, but any advice appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/a0m2pzu3d463csh/AACEqTWdKAI0pnBXeQrvVY7xa

Wow, that’s going to be an enjoyable work over. Clean the insides and degrease then just buy a drop in kit for the power plant, they rarely go over 12 ft lbs but obviously it is important to check it over a chrono.

One of my favourite guns to own and mess with even if the accuracy is often over stated. 

Edited by Hamster

44 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

To oldypidgeonpopper

Guys like you are a credit to other shooter's and thanks for all the advice you gave to me a great help👍

hello, i am no expert but have years of knowledge, and seeing the posts of PW members or information from other forums there is always help on what ever a person asks, like my van post ???

I got a old 35 project a few months back but all it needed was a few drops of oil on the piston washer and it has been doing mid 500 fps ever since and shoots perfectly so not much of a project! Had plans for a synthetic washer upgrade and all sorts but it just did not need it. I cannot get on with the droopy barrel though so it will end up being sold at some point. 

46 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

I got a old 35 project a few months back but all it needed was a few drops of oil on the piston washer and it has been doing mid 500 fps ever since and shoots perfectly so not much of a project! Had plans for a synthetic washer upgrade and all sorts but it just did not need it. I cannot get on with the droopy barrel though so it will end up being sold at some point. 

hello, why do you say droopy barrel, you can buy a new barrel catch spring

16 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, why do you say droopy barrel, you can buy a new barrel catch spring

Some of the older ones have a barrel that droops right from the breech, it's not the lockup as its tight and good, it's fine if using open sights but once you stick a scope on it it's quite apparent. I will try and get a picture later on.

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

Thanks for the replies gents ...

I can relate to the droopy barrel thing ... I’ve dated mine to ‘76 and it certainly looks a degree or two off the horizontal. It’ll be used with open sights so no worries.

Now posting in the DIY section ...

hello, maybe it was the hot summer???  its not changed much since 1951, keep us posted

If you decide to buy the original type of spring that's in now, you'll find that it has 27 full coils.  You will have to cut 5 coils off otherwise the gun will have a terrible kick to it....and might take it over 12FPE.   Lovely guns...but rather heavy for lugging around a field for a few hours!  Enjoy the rebuild.