Sign in to follow this  
sandspider

Replacing recessed shower hose?

Morning all

Bit of an odd question, but as usual, I imagine someone on PW will know!

We've got a fairly ancient jacuzzi bath with a shower hose that's recessed into the body of the bath (see pic below). Shower hose has sprung a leak near the head, and needs to be fixed. I could cut off the end of the hose and try and refit the head, but the rubber tubing within the hose seems to be permanently sealed to the washer thing inside, so not sure I'd be able to refit it without leaks once it's cut off.

Other option is to replace the whole shower hose, and I can't figure out how to do that! I can't get under the bath to see how it fits, it's all sealed. Surely I don't have to remove the bath to replace the shower hose? I can't pull any sort of connector out of the bath, it just stops. There are spanner flats on the metal doobery where the shower hose goes into the bath, but if I undo this I fear breaking seals or drain hose (if there is one), pulling out bits of bath that will never go back in etc.

I've looked at the installation instructions and the shower hose doesn't seem to be mentinoed at all. Surely there's a simple way to do this?

Cheers.

IMG_20200506_185507.jpg

32 minutes ago, discobob said:

put up a picture of the complete bath buddy

Thanks DB, here you go:

IMG_20200507_150844.jpg

27 minutes ago, The Heron said:

I suggest that you disconnect the other end of the hose and buy a replacement 

That's the trouble, I can't get to the ******! It's right down at the bottom of the recess (I think - anyway, I can't find it).

Posted (edited)

That looks a *** of a job to change, the only way in, i can see is, bath panel off and in from the side, you may have to move the beech cabinet you can see on the right. it amazes me why the taps are put in locations like that, when you have serviceable items. 

you might be lucky and the end of the flexible hose is on some sort of diverter valve near the filler(so closer to the edge)

Edited by seph234

This may be extreme,but have done it in past,, if up against a stud wall cut square off room opposite go in through back as such....I know,,sounds daft,, but if it means taking tiled in fittings panels etc off or just bit of plaster board and lick of paint,,,may be easier than tiles you cannot get if they  break chip etc...

8 minutes ago, millrace said:

This may be extreme,but have done it in past,, if up against a stud wall cut square off room opposite go in through back as such....I know,,sounds daft,, but if it means taking tiled in fittings panels etc off or just bit of plaster board and lick of paint,,,may be easier than tiles you cannot get if they  break chip etc...

Yup, that's how I sorted out our bath. I left it as a painted plywood access panel in case I needed to get to the back of the bath again.

The people who  manufacture these things have no thought or conception about future repairs and replacement.  Nightmare .

Blackpowder

like has been said once you get the bath panel off it might not be as much of a nightmare.................................... though i doubt it.

time to look for a vertically challenged plumber.

******. It's on two external walls so can't go in round the back, as it were. Getting the panel off is a pain, we had to do it a year or so ago, bloody shower wasn't leaking then though!

Is there not a way to get the shower out from the top? If not it looks like hacksaw and sealant time!

Even with the bath side off, there's no access to that shower from the front of the bath. Not unless I can find a plumber who's also a gynecologist!

4 hours ago, ph5172 said:

Will the plastic moulding not pop off

My thoughts also. If the mixer head comes off that might be the route to finding a threaded nut locking the whole assembly to the bath.  That is pure guess work by the way.

Blackpowder

Flipping bath has just started to leak through the downstairs ceiling again, so won't be spending time on the shower hose just yet!

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Flipping bath has just started to leak through the downstairs ceiling again, so won't be spending time on the shower hose just yet!

That could be your route into the under side of the bath if the ceiling is now damaged 😀

Sorry on the late response

too me, this looks like they did think out future maintenance - it looks like where the showerhead is is removable - see below - this may need sealant or something removing but looks like it should be able to be removed - I have marked the bit in red that I am on about @sandspider

image.png

Yes you might be lucky the mixer tap will probably be on a flexible hose is that a seam I can see and if so could you disconnect the hose and waste pipe and lift it up on my bath the waste pipe is pulled into the bath with a long screw. 

I hope this helps but it's very difficult when you're not there to see it for yourself. 

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Got a plumber coming out to look at the leak anyway, so will see if he's got any ideas. Better someone else than me levering plastic trim off things!

Basically, he didn't know, but thought the side would have to come off. Looks like it'll be new bath time anyway, this one's getting too old and expensive to keep going.

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Basically, he didn't know, but thought the side would have to come off. Looks like it'll be new bath time anyway, this one's getting too old and expensive to keep going.

Its not just the new bath though is it - it is everything else that comes with it - tiling, plastering, plumbing, flooring.

can you take a close up of the area that I marked in Red - also - it is a whirlpooly type bath - does it have the make and model on it as I am sure that it must be serviceable without having to rip out the whole bath for a leaking shower hose 

Well, we've already spent some money on this bath, and it keeps costing more! Probably better in the long run to replace the whole thing and do it properly. You're right though, everything else will need to be done too. Oh well, it does function, mostly, at the moment anyway.

The plastic cover around the taps & shower hose isn't moulded into the bath, it is separate. I slightly fear taking it off though, given that the bath & shower do both work (enough) at the moment. Bath is made by Jacuzzi, model JP 12F-DIS I believe. I have got the installation instructions for it, and it doesn't refer to the shower hose at all...

Many thanks for taking the time 👍

Think the bath is a Celtia.

https://eurodomsaloni.rs/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Celtia.pdf

This is about the only thing that I can find (that our filters will allow me to connect to) and it definitely shows it is removable and that the tap is on flexe leads - but if it is giving loads of other issues I would go with replacement though

Our bath is a sottini shower bath - the side panel was getting a bit tattered (and yellow) - contacted them and they don't do replacements!! Some fiberglass and a coat of plasticoat and it looked as good as new :)

Thanks for that, will investigate further. Or get father in law on the case once lockdown is eased...