Help Required

dead-eye-dick

After years of banging away with the shot gun, I've been asked to help a local farmer who is "infested" :rolleyes: with rabbits.

After looking at the area, I definatly think it's air rifle/rimmy ground. I have a brand new - never used .177 AAs410 12ftlb Silenced, scoped etc. (looked good in magazine but never had chance to use it)

I was thinking of setting up a 'hide' with my back to a woodpile, facing a 200yard hedge row, which is to be fair riddled with bunnies :blink: :D

My question is, 1. how far should I look to be shooting

2. whats the best way to zero the scope

3. what pellets are recommended - I've got H&K F/T. is a pellet not a pellet ?

4. How usefull will a bi-pod be - if so which one - how do they attach - how heavy ??

I think thats a PCP ? If so a bipod is okay, they are a no go for springers though as you'll struggle to get a decent pattern.

40metres is probably the max for 12ft/lbs, having said that I stick to about 30 but thats only because my standing shots aren't good enough to go further.

Best way to zero is place target at intended range, and fire two (to make sure you're starting position is ok) then adjust firing a pellet each time (can't remember the exact clicks for 1/4 inch (think it may be just 1 at 30 yards), till you are hitting the sweet spot.

Rumour has it if you place out a furry toy which is brown and somewhat rabbit like, place it 10-15 yards out from the hedge and it'll make them come out faster. In addition remember once you shoot the first one thats the furthest out the rest will come, so take your time with your first shot... finally, they are probably stupid as they haven't been shot for a while so don't run up to get the rabbit, leave it where it lies if a good distance out and another one will soon follow.

Good luck let us know how u get on.

Dead...

Answers to your Questions.

1. With a .177 I would try not to exceed 30m range as generally I dont find that particular calibre effective at greater ranges. Take a head shot and dont be tepmted to aim for the body or bunny will just jump about 3 feet in the air and then bolt.

2. If you have a work bench or similar like a B&D they make a good rest, but do not be tempted to clamp the gun in it. Cushion it with a towel or something similar so you can let off the trigger with the minimum of shake.

Remove the turret caps from the scope and centralize the cross hairs this is done by counting the number of clicks completely from left to right or up & down and then dividing by two. If say it is 50 clicks from right to left then central would be 25 clicks. Measure accurately with a tape your range. I suggest you zero in at 30m. so from end of muzzel to your target = 30m dont measure from shooting position to target as you will be adding another metre or so ( The length of the Gun) This distance could be critical at 30 m! Set up a paper or card target at range with a thin black cross on it 6" x 6". The bigger the target the better, I use a large cardboard box or a piece of white painted hardboard which shows up the pellet hits.

Let off a couple of shots aiming for centre of cross and see where pellet hits. If your target is large enough it will be easy to see through the scope . Adjust the crosshairs accordingly until you have zeroed the scope. Move the target back or forward at 5 m intervals and let off further shots at the centre spot. The distance measured between the pellet and centre at these additional distances will be the amount of hold over or under at that range.

3. I have used all the major manufactured pellets but have found the crossman accupel or powapel or Bisley pest control range to be superior. pellets vary enormously in their quality and consistancy. I would reccomend you hand pick your pellets from the tin, never shake the tin because being soft the lead skirts are easily damaged, reject any pellets that you find to be nicked or damaged or dented. Remember to always use the same pellet that you zeroed the gun with. I would be tempted to find a pellet with the most weight in .177 calibre.

4. A bipod is very useful as it allows you to consistantly release the trigger and get the shot away with the minimum of shake. If you are using a telescopic at 30 m say on 4 or 6 times mag you will have, with out doubt, difficulty in holding steady on aim. A bipod is the best tool to counteract this. there are various types which fit either to barrel or stock. the more expensive stock type fit to the sling swivel. The clip on type which fix to the barrel are quite effective for occassional use.

When in your hide make sure if you can that you keep as quiet as possible. Bunnnys eye sight is pretty good but his hearing is even better. if you are going to use a bipod and will be shooting in the prone position make yourself as comfortable as possible. Once I took a old air bed with me to shoot in similar circumstances. using a .22 Superten, Harris tripod & 4-9 x 50 scope took 18 bunnies in a 6 hour session. I only left the hide to dispatch 4 which were not cleanly killed but i suspect that you will need to do this a little more often with the .177 .

Happy Hunting.

FM.

air arms s410 r the best air rifles in the world mate u have definatley got a good gun on ur hands. the pellets i would reccomend field and target trophey as they have a bit of weight behind them. 200 yards is way to far mate. try and get about 40m away from them or 30m ideally. look for the best cover available ie a fallen down log, hole in a hedge etc something where u can just poke your head ond rifle round without spooking the bunnies. for this a would reccoment a bi pod as it will make your shoting more comfatble. they do not make your rifle much heavier. what ever you do dont et 1 of them clip on bi pods they r pile of cap. get a harris they go for about 70 quid but GMK or bisley have started to make 1 very simelar which is only 40 odd.