Shield

Jonty

I had one of those brilliant ‘just passing’ chats with a neighbour as I walked past his place on my daily outing yesterday.  He was sharpening a small Japanese sword in his garden - this immediately got my 10 year old son’s attention.  Long story short, we ended up heading home with a replica Viking shield boss 😀

I’m cheating As i only have ply in the shed, but I’ll accept that in order for us to have a project to work on together.  I only had 5mm and it was too flimsy so we started by sandwiching a couple of sheets together.  I’d Like to keep it as ‘authentic’ as possible so I’m rummaging around to see what nails etc I’ve got that I could fashion into rivets  - it’ll not be 100% but I’m enjoying spending time with the boy, this is our DT and history lessons covered 👍

C3DC3022-68B5-4552-8CF5-0F9BAC282FA8.jpeg

CD3B5D34-6781-4D3C-A3A9-110C5A86A5D2.jpeg

Not enough clamps! So bricks used

71E6CE38-D9F9-4C0B-A1D3-6340B9BD0A43.jpeg

0379003D-DE20-4FB2-B1D8-0EB9A7BAFD3D.jpeg

Just trying the boss out for size.  Next job is to cover the shield with cotton fabric - apparently they did this for additional strength, we also need to get some raw hide to put around the edge of the shield, from what I’ve read the best source of this is an extra large dog chew soaked in water...... every day is a school day 😀

34EDCEE7-A62E-41E4-B4DE-76E5D28440A9.jpeg

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

Great project - really need an axe to go with that. :)

He’s already asked !

Started covering the shield with fabric - sacrificial dustsheet from the house decorating box.  We also made the handle out of some timber from a window frame I replaced last week.  With my woodworking skills it’s not hard to make it look rustic and hand hewn!  A passing neighbour stopped for a chat the other day and has offered me a load of old hand made nails he pulled out of his house during the refurb - hopefully I can use them as rivets for the boss.

I'm really enjoying spending time with the lad and showing him some woodworking tips.

0119ED11-40DA-4537-ADA0-0D6352251058.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Wow, I’d love to be able to turn my hand to something like that - looks fantastic!

I’m sure you’re capable of doing it 

just a bit of thought and maybe a bit of instruction 

when this is over bring your lad for a day in the forge if he fancies learning a bit 

as long as I survive it 🤭

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

I’m sure you’re capable of doing it 

just a bit of thought and maybe a bit of instruction 

when this is over bring your lad for a day in the forge if he fancies learning a bit 

as long as I survive it 🤭

Thank you - very kind offer!I have a small real ale brewery - I could return the favour in beer.....

Genuinely impressive and not the run of the mill stuff. Nice to involve your lad.

My youngest son was to help build our Honda CR500 AF - on a separate thread, but the lockdown has reduced his input to recovering the seat and sticking on the graphics - jobs he can collect from my drive (when passing) and do at home.

I was hoping to do a project with my grandson, but the same restrictions have put the kibosh on that.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit busy lately so I’ve only just got around to doing some more this evening.  Apparently Viking shields had protective edge of rawhide around the rim.  So we drilled holes at 1.5cm centres and bought two of the most mahoosive rawhide chews in the pet shop.  Waited till the wife was out, soaked them in the bath til soft, and then cut them into strips to go around the edge.  They are slightly different colours and the stitching is rough, but I like that - hopefully it makes it look more authentic.

just the handle and the boss to add now, my boy had to go to bed so hopefully we can do that tomorrow 

FFC25894-F929-40DD-81BB-9D7D72E7186A.jpeg

46AE29D5-CE8F-456B-8D45-AA774B7805E4.jpeg

259A362E-3D74-4592-A7CB-1E08B4D3A508.jpeg

Yep, you and your lad are doing a grand job on the shield, nice doing things like this with your lad, you do realise that when the other kids see it you may have to setup a Viking village workshop producing shields and all things Viking. :)