Flag identification?

Ricko

In the absence of any Union Jack's in the house, I dug out this old flag to show my son. I found it in my grandfather's, brothers possessions. He served with the Royal Artillery in the Eighth Army; North Africa, Italy etc.

Any ideas of what unit/division it may belong to, or even who's side it came from! Any pointers/information gratefully recieved.

Stay safe

Screenshot_20200508-101325_Gallery.jpg

36 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

It has a sort of Egyptian look about it , I could be total wrong .

I've never noticed that. A bit like the Egyptian cat god Bastet.

My grandfather's brother was an interesting bloke, he enlisted just before war broke out, went off as a young man and came back as an old man, saw the great desert battles and the push up through Italy; Monte Cassino etc, never married spent a lot of time alone.

As well as the flag, there was a Beretta 6.35mm under the bed (it got handed on in '83 when he died)!

48 minutes ago, Ricko said:

In the absence of any Union Jack's in the house, I dug out this old flag to show my son. I found it in my grandfather's, brothers possessions. He served with the Royal Artillery in the Eighth Army; North Africa, Italy etc.

Any ideas of what unit/division it may belong to, or even who's side it came from! Any pointers/information gratefully recieved.

Stay safe

Screenshot_20200508-101325_Gallery.jpg

Sorry can’t help with the flag. My dad was also in the Eighth Army and fought through North Africa, Sicily and Italy. He was in the Royal Corp of Signals. 

4 hours ago, washerboy said:

17th India and the gurka both have cats on, not sure if that's it with Google 

My ancient memory of having read "Quartered Safe Out Here" A recollection of the war in Burma by George MacDonald Fraser refers to the Badge of the 17th Division (India) and the Cat on their badge.

17th Infantry Division (India) - Wikipedia

Just an idea but perhaps your Great Uncle bought it in Egypt, at a market or it was given to him as a good luck charm, as it might be a depiction of one of the many Ancient Egyptian cat deities.  This one could possibly depict Mafdet.

From Wiki.  

Mafdet was the first known cat-headed deity in ancient Egypt. During the First Dynasty 2920–2770 BC, she was regarded as protector of the Pharaoh's chambers against snakes, scorpions and evil. She was often also depicted with a head of a leopard (Panthera pardus).[8][9] She was particularly prominent during the reign of Den.[10]

It seems that cats (of various species) were held in high regard by the Ancient Egyptians.