Massive scary spider

fatchap

I reckon HMR17 at 150yrds should do the job 😂. On a serious note they really don’t bother me at all which is good as I come across them a lot in my job as a sparky and when I’m out fishing and shooting. Now wasps are a different prospect I hate them since I got stung twice whilst helping out on the shoot a couple of seasons ago. They also never bothered me before that 🤨

Fatchap, get a tin of Vapona or raid, stab it with a compass point or other sharp small spike and Chuck it in shed, close door and leave for an hour. It should clear all creepy crawlies.  ICI used to make a fly spray that killed spiders in a few seconds, fly's took much longer.

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Fatchap, get a tin of Vapona or raid, stab it with a compass point or other sharp small spike and Chuck it in shed, close door and leave for an hour. It should clear all creepy crawlies.  ICI used to make a fly spray that killed spiders in a few seconds, fly's took much longer.

That sounds like a plan, Got Raid I think under the sink sure I've seen a can under there, Did about an hour in the shed this morning, no sign of incy but that dosn't mean he's found better accommodation, probably sleeping off a large meal of some poor smaller spider, which isn't a bad thing. I'll do the Raid thing I think,  and hopefully terminate his ***. Do spiders have an ***?

Edited by fatchap

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I think it’s about time we had a picture of the monster 

it could be a new species 🤔

It'll be out of focus unless his wife takes it though!

When we find a "big one" in the garage we like to drop things nearby,  its always great watching some big spider shoot out of a tiny hole and drag something away. 

On 08/05/2020 at 17:07, fatchap said:

I was in my workshop/shed today working on a couple of knives when movement caught my eye by the vice. On closer inspection and I cannot reiterate enough I only made eye contact briefly before running out of the shed with my arms flaying in the air, screaming like a 5 year old. There was this spider-no! Mutant alien spider, Huge great thing. I eventually convinced the wife to go and evict the offending arachnid, while I waited in the safety of the kitchen, after a very brief search she claimed there was nothing there. Now my wife has been known to be rather economical with the truth when it comes to removing spiders on my behalf so I was hesitant to return to the shed, I eventually plucked up the courage and cautiously walked in. I didn’t want to stay too long as it was probably waiting in ambush somewhere on the workbench. I have to get these two knives done and really do not want to share my shed with not so incy wincy. So my question is Mutant Alien Spider the size of a fist, .177 or .22?

Call me a tart, girls blouse whatever you want, I do not like spiders of any size and I have no intention of entering into a working relationship with one that you could put a saddle on and enter in the Grand National. And spiders are not scared of conkers, who ever came up with that pile of **** wants hanging up by his gonads.

Jeezus H christ on a bike!,this just had me in fits! 🤣🤣🤣,funniest thing i've seen in a long time,thanks fella,brilliant! 🤣

3 hours ago, gmm243 said:

Years ago I found this in my shed,actually heard it inside a box.                                     Sorry about the quality,was taken with my old Nokia phone.

spider.jpg

Thats him only 10 times as big.

Not too clear Mr N but is that a black widow about to devour that little snake ?     If your iffy about spiders then those and brown recluse are small but not pleasant bed fellows.  The big black mud dauber wasps(the size of our hornets) out in Texas used to freek out the ladies and some of the blokes but we never killed them because apparently they feasted on black widows.

Had a friend out there who failed to knock out his boots one morning and 24hrs later had a nasty hole start to appear in the sole of his foot.  Quick visit to the Doctors surgery confirmed a brown recluse bite and it took a few weeks before it was contained and healed. 

8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Not too clear Mr N but is that a black widow about to devour that little snake ?     If your iffy about spiders then those and brown recluse are small but not pleasant bed fellows.  The big black mud dauber wasps(the size of our hornets) out in Texas used to freek out the ladies and some of the blokes but we never killed them because apparently they feasted on black widows.

Had a friend out there who failed to knock out his boots one morning and 24hrs later had a nasty hole start to appear in the sole of his foot.  Quick visit to the Doctors surgery confirmed a brown recluse bite and it took a few weeks before it was contained and healed. 

Not too sure. Impressively strong web though isn't it?

Spiders scare the life out of me. 

I can confirm from experience the gas torch is the only solution. 

Im not sure why spiders get me, nobody else at home growing up was scared of them and my parents just leave them be. 

Edited by Wb123

On 08/05/2020 at 20:56, DoolinDalton said:

Probably a Tegenaria duellicor T. domestica.  If you want BIG spiders (which obviously you don't!) then google Nephila pilipes.  I had one on my groin....whilst searching for spiders on a jungle trail in Thailand!   

Or the Tegenaria parietina https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegenaria_parietina sometimes known as the cardinal spider. Britains largest native spider. I've seen a few in my time in our barn. Thankfully they are rare. 

On 08/05/2020 at 20:56, DoolinDalton said:

If you want BIG spiders (which obviously you don't!) then google Nephila pilipes.  I had one on my groin....whilst searching for spiders on a jungle trail in Thailand!   

nephila_pilipes._ubud._15_october_2011_1

Whilst not scared of spiders I couldn't do this!

Edited by Danger-Mouse

Only became intolerant of spiders when started work after leaving school. 

Working in warm undercrofts and very old roof spaces. Had some big horrible fat ones across my face and in my hair.  Silverfish down my clothes. It puts you off them then films like arachnophobia puts the top on it. Yuk flatten them big ones. I leave the little ones.

Years ago we were on holiday on a tropical island off the coast of Malaysia. The wife and I were in one room with my two eldest children in the room next door. As we were getting ready for bed I heard a scream from next door and rushed in. On the wall was a massive spider, about the size of a dinner plate, very furry and with biceps. The kids wouldn't sleep in there unless I got rid of it so, while they were in the next room, I threw a shoe at it. It caught it, took a bite out of it and threw it back (that is actually an exageration in reality it ran off behind a cupboard). Knowing the children wouldn't sleep if it was in there, I opened the door and pretended to throw it out. Reassured that they were safe they returned to bed. I felt quite guilty about it and was convinced the next morning I was going to find them cocooned in a spiders web.   

Well been in the shed most of the day and I think I can safely say the can of raid seems to have done the job, no sign of incy wincy or any other small multi legged heavily armored creepy crawlies either. Bloke next door showed me a picture of something that emerged from under his decking when he was ripping it up. How he stood there and took a picture while this monster which looked like it had a pair of bolt croppers sticking out of its face squared up to him I don't know. I personally would have screamed like a 3 year old, before taking off at a pace Hussain Bolt can only dream of achieving. It wasn't a stag beetle they are black this was a redish colour never seen anything like it and hopefully never will in person. 

But at least my shed is clean of massive alien mutant spiders...for a while.

Am I the only one who lifted their feet off the floor and put them on the coffee table whilst reading this thread? Haha. 

I used to be a surveyor for Rentokil and spent many a time being covered in the beasties in lofts, worst one was a loft of a 1700’s built Manor House with a loft space that hadn’t been entered in MANY years with horse hair etc up there. This spider went down my collar and it tickled so I flicked my hand and this spider the side of my hand crawled off into the horse hair insulation in front of me, where I had to go. 

The other time, I was under the floor of the old Picturehouse in Braintree which is now a Weatherspoons - it has a void about 3 foot high that runs the whole way under the pub and goes further down into old underground rooms with old machinery for theatres in there, quite amazing actually! Well, there was a serious rat problem under there and we used to use UV powder so that I could go under with a UV torch and follow the footsteps. I got a bit spooked as I couldn’t remember which way was out and it’s pitch dark under there so I took out my normal torch and turned on and where my torch was low down, it illuminated a HUGE spider that was so big that the shadow was like something from a horror film - never seen me crawl as fast!!

On 10/05/2020 at 20:31, Mr_Nobody said:

nephila_pilipes._ubud._15_october_2011_1

Whilst not scared of spiders I couldn't do this!

Believe it or not...but the male of this species (female in pic) is only approx 5mm legspan, if my memory serves me well!  How it mates, I don't know!  When I said that I'd found one of these (female) on my groin, I didn't mention how it got there!  I walked off the path to look in the trees for signs of spider activity.  I actually walked straight into the giant web that this species constructs....approx 1 metre width!  So, covered in spider silk, I immediately wondered where the spider was....and found it on my groin!  I really must try to find the pic and upload it here!   

3 minutes ago, DoolinDalton said:

Believe it or not...but the male of this species (female in pic) is only approx 5mm legspan, if my memory serves me well!  How it mates, I don't know!  When I said that I'd found one of these (female) on my groin, I didn't mention how it got there!  I walked off the path to look in the trees for signs of spider activity.  I actually walked straight into the giant web that this species constructs....approx 1 metre width!  So, covered in spider silk, I immediately wondered where the spider was....and found it on my groin!  I really must try to find the pic and upload it here!   

Finding it there I wouldn't recommend the blow torch method!

I've had plenty of spider bites over the years (UK spiders), most are hardly even noticeable , but I've had two that turned quite nasty , one was on the back of my neck , and it was like half of a cricket ball stuck to my neck , and one was towards the end of last summer , I was just picking up some oak saplings when a small ,dark brown , spider gave me a nip on the middle finger of my left hand,  it felt a bit like a nettle sting , I thought no more about it until I was driving the car home , when I noticed a lump as big as a golf ball hanging onto my finger 😢, it was painless but didn't look great . The swelling was much less by the next day , but keeps popping back up , most days it's almost normal now , but for a few months my finger was a different colour every day, sometimes pink , sometimes purple , sometimes brown , and sometimes it would just itch like mad . One really odd thing was I got nettle stings on my right leg , and within seconds , the spider bite was itching so badly that I could have removed my own finger with a blunt knife😠.