Volvo XC60

B725

At some point I am thinking of selling my trusty Freelander 2 after 10 reliable year's and concidererating a Volvo XC60 AWD as this appears to tick all the boxes for what I want has anyone got one and let me know what its like. 

Over the 10 years I've had it the only thing's I've had to replace is the auto gear knob,tailgate micro switch and the throttle body so less than £300 in repairs. It's very nice to drive and I still like driving it. It is the only car I've kept for so long. It's very quick for a 4×4 ,it will do 40mpg on the motorway overall its a good car, I just fancy a change as I am planning to retire some point this year.

1 minute ago, B725 said:

Over the 10 years I've had it the only thing's I've had to replace is the auto gear knob,tailgate micro switch and the throttle body so less than £300 in repairs. It's very nice to drive and I still like driving it. It is the only car I've kept for so long. It's very quick for a 4×4 ,it will do 40mpg on the motorway overall its a good car, I just fancy a change as I am planning to retire some point this year.

Very good, thanks for the info. Congrats on the retirement.

It has the hill descent and I had to use it on a ice and snow covered hill near Layborn a few year's ago, in a normal car you would not have gone down it without killing yourself, but I just pressed the button and let the car do the rest it went down at 5mph perfectly with no grabbing of the brakes its very strange the first time you use it and trusting the car. 

19 minutes ago, B725 said:

let me know what its like. 

Yes, I`ve got a late 2016 model with the latest 2.0 lt diesel engine. Mines the 2 wheel drive, not AWD. Owned it for 15 months and after the 2011 RAV 4 it replaced the comfort, ride, handling and noise levels are a vast improvement. The boot takes 2 Springers with room left over. Overall it returns about 52 to 53 mpg and would do better if I controlled my right foot more. More whistles & bells on it than I will ever use and the leather seats are very comfortable and easy to wipe over. Spent all my life with a `proper` handbrake; so the push/pull button handbrake took a bit of getting used to. Compared with the rather noisy RAV 4 with its somewhat hard seats the Volvo is an absolute pleasure to drive.

I have an XC70, new in 2016. Can't fault it.

I looked at XC60 & XC90 at the time and didn't find them big enough inside or the boot space adequate. Interior is excellent and like sitting in a comfortable leather armchair. One of the biggest things for me was getting in and out I kept banging my head on the A post.

They have a slightly higher ground clearance than the XC70 but share the same AWD system. The AWD is as good as you'll get without a low ratio gearbox and the hill descent and traction control faultless and excellent. Being a little higher than the XC70 they suffer a little body roll on hard corners but this shouldn't present a problem if not driven hard.

Towing is easy, although given the choice go for the higher BHP and torque version if possible. Mine is the D5 6 speed auto and makes 220 BHP and 440 torque.

I believe all models have a 300mm wading depth, more than adequate. Ground clearance on mine is 210mm (195 with towbar) XC60/90 should be more.

I never measure MPG as its what it is and varies vastly given useage and driving style. It hardly alters when towing unless you're really heavily laden. Tank is 70 litres and I think I get about 475 to 500 miles to a tank.

Having electric everything they can be battery heavy, as in I occasionally get the low battery warning light on if I'm only doing local stop/start motoring. 10 mins run at 40mph soon re charges it though.

Mine is a few miles short of 21000 from new and all I've needed so far is a "module" that controls the drivers window, replaced under warranty and discs and pads all round.

I replaced all 4 tyres this year just before lockdown as they were under 3mm. Legal but as I was having brakes I thought why not tyres and tracking too.

As stated mine is XC70, so very similar, if I missed anything or you need to know owt else, shout up.

Edited by Centrepin

Be careful with the newer ones - my company does courtesy vehicles of sickly Volvos and the two variations we regularly see with major electrical failures are the new style XC60&90. It is 'computer says no' - blank screen no action. Love driving them but would go Audi or BMW. Sometimes there are bizarre happenings like boot lid opening when car being driven and they refusing to close but again it is the software.

Traded our Freelander 2 recently for a Disco Sport. I only have good things to say about the Freelander, ran it for 90K and only spent money on consumables and servicing. A brilliant car really and it easily kept up with Defenders and Range Rovers off road when we were shooting. Disco Sport is OK but the electrical technology scares me a bit as it gets older. I've driven a few XC60's and they're a good car, not much off road capability but maybe enough. Go for an SE model if you want one. Avoid the R-Design - the ride will shake your fillings loose.

Its the 2.4 auto SE LUX that's floating my boat as it uses the same haldex as the Freelander it will go where I want it to go, but until I can test drive one I won't know. Oh and it has the hill decent ideal for the icey and snowey hill's we have at time's.

• 3 weeks later...

Just don't put 3 adults in the back. Most uncomfortable ride I've ever had - no, wrong - painful is better. Too small for you, but I have the Yeti. Only mention this because it has the Haldex system. It might just pay to listen to a very experienced hydraulic engineer - albeit retired - who knows full well what is the biggest single cause of hydraulic failures. I have no axe to grind or association, but as the Haldex works and works well, never mind what you see, read or  hear elsewhere, if you want to keep it performing as it was designed to do then change the oil and the filter on a frequency basis.

13 hours ago, archi said:

I can do you a nice Audi SQ5 in white if interested

EC556AA5-0C44-4AC8-A118-0E0C3E0BCA73.jpeg

My Brother in law bought a 63 plate one, auto, for shooting and frequent trips to Scotland, replaced a Honda CRV. He swears by it. In the past he's had Landys, Shoguns,  and some other non descriptive things. More space than the XC60 but more expensive too. He's a shocking, terrible driver but this car smoothes out his appalling driving. 

Still no match for my XC70, on or off road😉🤣

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just started to look at these or another disco sport (my wife has one) as my shooting / tow truck. Ground clearance is the concern with either.

We took the wifes disco sport to the Land Rover proving ground and drove places I would not dare to drive with my hilux.