Volvo XC60

B725

I have Volvos as company cars, over the last year I have had 4 XC60 B5s, currently have a V90 cross country and a new cross country is coming next week. 

I took my XC60s off road, not proper off road but muddy Lincolnshire clay rutted tracks, and fields sometimes with snow and sludge - with huge great 22” wheels and a smear of Pirelli rubber I was initially concerned that they would struggle, but they did brilliantly and went everywhere a Disco 4 and all the pickups did. The 4 wheel drive system is very good. 

I will probably revert back to an XC60 for the game season as the air suspension gives a lot more ground clearance than the V90CC. 

Almost 250bhp with the mild hybrid system giving power before the 2 turbos the B5 power train is really nice too. 

Edited by oscarsdad

1 minute ago, Smokersmith said:

Ta!

The T6 has 348bhp I think!

Plus I’d not burn any fuel on the way to work and back ... beginning to look like a good option. I think the air suspension is standard?

T6 petrol is 300bhp (T8 PHEV is the most powerful) I think has air suspension, it’s only available on trims with “pro” on the end - I prefer inscription pro trim to R design pro as the massage seats are great. The pilot assist is great once you trust it and it’ll do motorway driving for you. 

T8 PHEV is a calculation you need to do...pure EV range is only about 30 miles, then that supercharged and turbocharged petrol engine is dragging around 400kg ish of battery pack and getting about 22mpg. Also the 4x4 system relies on the EV system driving the rear wheels, so if you run out of battery charge, you don’t have 4 wheel drive anymore. 

T6 3.0 petrol obviously thirstier than the diesels I run but in normal times I do 84 miles a day commute so didn’t want to T6 economy. If I had a short commute I would have a T6. 

11 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

How are you getting on with it? Off road at all?

I see they’re now doing a hybrid which is quicker than anyone needs and very economic to run. 

I have been pleased with it so far its very comfortable and better on diesel than the Freelander. It has gone into the field's and up a steep slippy slope with no problems. It will never be able to go where the landrover went but it will do everything I need of it. 

On 02/04/2021 at 21:42, oscarsdad said:

T8 PHEV is a calculation you need to do...pure EV range is only about 30 miles, then that supercharged and turbocharged petrol engine is dragging around 400kg ish of battery pack and getting about 22mpg.

I really wish you had posted this nouget of real world info about a month ago. We took delivery of a T6 phev recharge model, only shows 25m range on a full charge (in "pure" mode and 21 in "hybrid") already questioned this with volvo dealers and UK head office to be told "don't expect anything more", and getting around 39mpg actual fuel used on a decent run 150miles. Far from the 120mpg claimed by Volvo, the trip is showing 65mpg so not sure why this is so vastly out??.

Having been on a bit of a rant, the car is superb the comfort, handling and finish are all great, and more than happy, but feel let down again by the false claims of the manufacturers.

13 minutes ago, shootthepigeon said:

I really wish you had posted this nouget of real world info about a month ago. We took delivery of a T6 phev recharge model, only shows 25m range on a full charge (in "pure" mode and 21 in "hybrid") already questioned this with volvo dealers and UK head office to be told "don't expect anything more", and getting around 39mpg actual fuel used on a decent run 150miles. Far from the 120mpg claimed by Volvo, the trip is showing 65mpg so not sure why this is so vastly out??.

Having been on a bit of a rant, the car is superb the comfort, handling and finish are all great, and more than happy, but feel let down again by the false claims of the manufacturers.

Sorry! All the B5 diesels I have had get about 46mpg average when I’m on dual carriageways / motorways and about 35mpg around the villages. I don’t drive in town so don’t know urban mpg. 

Just now, oscarsdad said:

Sorry! All the B5 diesels I have had get about 46mpg average when I’m on dual carriageways / motorways and about 35mpg around the villages. I don’t drive in town so don’t know urban mpg. 

Sorry wasn't having a dig, just the best description of a phev I've read, just wished I'd seen it before taking delivery. Just had a quick look online and the lawyers are onto BMW  and Volvo again, for exaggerated economy figures. 

The car will mainly be running on electric around here so not overly concerned, just need a longer extention lead:hmm:

16 minutes ago, shootthepigeon said:

Sorry wasn't having a dig, just the best description of a phev I've read, just wished I'd seen it before taking delivery. Just had a quick look online and the lawyers are onto BMW  and Volvo again, for exaggerated economy figures. 

The car will mainly be running on electric around here so not overly concerned, just need a longer extention lead:hmm:

Wasn’t taken as one. They are lovely inside and so comfortable, I drove all the way to Cornwall last year (just over 5 hours) without needing to stop and wasn’t tired at all when we arrived. 

I’m sticking with V90 cross country for now, the boot is quite a bit larger than the XC60 which I’m finding useful. 

Edited by oscarsdad

2 minutes ago, oscarsdad said:

Wasn’t taken as one. They are lovely inside and so comfortable, I drove all the way to Cornwall last year (just over 5 hours) without needing to stop and wasn’t tired at all when we arrived. 

I’m sticking with V90 cross country for now, the boot is quite a bit larger than the XC60 which I’m finding useful. 

Completely agree they are a stunning vehicle, glad I've still got the trusty shogun and turns out not far off the mpg on a run, and will carry or tow anything 😀

Good feedback folks.

I'm going ahead with a quote on the T6 recharge with air suspension.

Most of my journeys will allow me to just 'go electric' and on longer runs it'll be loads better than my Nissan Patrol!

Having said that, keeping the big 4x4 and getting something cheaper and also electric is also looking appealing.