This is one hot piece!

7daysinaweek

Today the weather being lovely I eventually got round to setting up our new pizza oven, we bought it last year and it had sat in the box since then.

What a beauty, took 5 minutes for the assembly, the chimney clips on, the fuel box at the back just slots in and it comes with a pizza stone and a paddle. It is fuelled with wood pellets through the small hopper at the rear. It reached a fierce heat within 15 minutes of lighting from the first load of pellets then required a couple of good handfuls into the hopper for us to cook 4 pizza. The instructions  advise putting the front cover on when cooking each pizza and when up to heat it will cook a pizza in about 1 minute

We had a pizza dough mix from a box which was a short prove for 20 minutes, we each made our pizza and then time to cook. A light sprinkling of semolina flour onto the paddle which helps puts the pizza onto the stone.

My daughter put hers in first and left in for two minutes with the front on, Voila, it was cremated (pic below). The instructions says it reaches a temp up to 500oc .Mine went in second for 1 minute, perfect, lovely crispy thin crust and cooked all across the base, sons went in next while my daughter made another and then mrs 7days pizza went in. We cooked the four pizza in under 10 minutes. It never lost any heat in between cooking and it took a good couple of hours for it to cool. I cleaned it this morning and just needed a wipe down with some kitchen roll, dismantled and back into its box in 5 minutes.

My son says it like something off Robot Wars and that it may come alive, he called it "Pizza monster" :lol:

It was very nice being washed down with a cool glass of Aperol.

IMG-20200509-WA0010_opt.jpg

20200508_185039_opt.jpg

20200508_125123_opt.jpg

20200508_192752.jpg

IMG-20200509-WA0013_opt.jpg

20200508_190237_opt.jpg

20200508_190423_opt (1).jpg

20200508_190428_opt.jpg

54 minutes ago, kennett said:

What is the pizza oven called? Looks a handy bit of kit

41 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

Looks like an Ooni Pro

Sorry, my mistake, it's an Ooni 3, I believe

Yes you are correct moondoggy

Here is a link.

https://uk.ooni.com/products/ooni-3

It cooks 🍕 staggeringly quick and the base was evenly cooked. The base of the 🍕 was made from passata and tomato paste with oregano in,  the topping , mozzarella, pepparami and mature cheese. It tasted like a traditional wood fired 🍕

1 hour ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Yes you are correct moondoggy

Here is a link.

https://uk.ooni.com/products/ooni-3

It cooks 🍕 staggeringly quick and the base was evenly cooked. The base of the 🍕 was made from passata and tomato paste with oregano in,  the topping , mozzarella, pepparami and mature cheese. It tasted like a traditional wood fired 🍕

Thanks for that. Added to the Christmas list. Although worryingly facebook knew before you told me...Screenshot_20200512-201412_Facebook.jpg.cee58d1ba64e2f5e7297c48106186cac.jpg

can you tell us more about the wood pellets please ? cost, size of bag, how many 'fires' do you get per scoop or hopper full - can you remove the hopper with unburnt pellets in it when you have finished cooking to use again i.e. sort of turning the oven off ?

4 hours ago, Gameking said:

can you tell us more about the wood pellets please ? cost, size of bag, how many 'fires' do you get per scoop or hopper full - can you remove the hopper with unburnt pellets in it when you have finished cooking to use again i.e. sort of turning the oven off ?

Hi Gameking

I have done some quick calculations from estimates and weighed calculations of the pellets this morning.

The current price of the beech food grade pellets are £20 for a 10kg bag which is what we bought. The scoop in the picture hold 3.5 ounces, 10 kg = 352.74 ounces= 100 scoops per bag. I estimate I used around 10-12 scoops when loaded up the hopper in total for the cooking of the 4 pizza. That said, I had not used it before and it still burnt reducing right down for another 5-7 minutes after the pizza were all cooked so I assume we could  of cooked another 3 pizza. From the estimates of a 10 kg would give you  with all variables of sipping a beer in between among others things that a bag would give you around  50 dinner plate sized 🍕. I give no guarantees these are based upon my own observations and calculations.

The instructions say add pellets into the hopper and load up an inch below the top of the hopper. I loaded up  a couple of times once going about 2 inches below as wanted to see how things would go. If you foresee that you will be cooking for an extended time you keep the hopper topped up at regular intervals. I assume this would be for cooking meat joints in a pan which you can also cook in it. Ideally you need to have all your 🍕 ready for cooking so you do not lose any cooking time. I put the front on after each pizza  was taken out and it appeared to be back to heat by the time I was putting the very next one around a minute later after getting the next one onto the semolina dusted paddle.

You can remove the burn tray which the hopper feeds into when finished cooking however this would result in the un-burnt pellets in the upper hopper falling into the burn tray chamber which would be easily tipped out when cooled. Everything comes apart very easy and quick to clean once cooled.

One thing we never had any natural firelighters which it says are the best for lighting. It was a proper faff getting it lit with a very small wood kindling fire. We have now purchased a box of 50 for £5 of amazon.

Pics below.

Hope this helps

7diaw

20200513_104838_opt.jpg

20200513_104850_opt (1).jpg

20200513_105038_opt.jpg

Edited by 7daysinaweek

Thank you for taking the time with a very comprehensive answer (with maths thrown in 😁)

The reason I asked was that I thought that, in addition to Pizza which it's designed for, then if I got one then i would want to cook other things i.e. meat and use it akin to a BBQ .

So I was keen to look at the fuelling of it for cooking longer than the few minutes it takes for a pizza - granted that it is very high temp. 

Have you thought about cooking a large piece of meat ( ie. Venison Haunch) which I normally do on the BBQ (charcoal not gas)

Have you tried steaks, chicken breasts, lamb kebabs or burgers yet or just sticking to pizza or perhaps baking your own bread . ??

They do look a serious bit of kit though and I like the ability to stow away easily after use.

1 hour ago, Gameking said:

Thank you for taking the time with a very comprehensive answer (with maths thrown in 😁)

The reason I asked was that I thought that, in addition to Pizza which it's designed for, then if I got one then i would want to cook other things i.e. meat and use it akin to a BBQ .

So I was keen to look at the fuelling of it for cooking longer than the few minutes it takes for a pizza - granted that it is very high temp. 

Have you thought about cooking a large piece of meat ( ie. Venison Haunch) which I normally do on the BBQ (charcoal not gas)

Have you tried steaks, chicken breasts, lamb kebabs or burgers yet or just sticking to pizza or perhaps baking your own bread . ??

They do look a serious bit of kit though and I like the ability to stow away easily after use.

In the instructions it says you can cook meat joints, cutlets etc but not directly on the pizza stone as this is for pizza and breads only. I would think that would be more economical to oven a large joint then finish in the pizza oven in a tin. We only took it out of the box last week and has only been used once for the pizza.

I will try cooking my own bread in it and will just stick with cooking bread related products and pizza at present.

Mrs 7days says that the website sells a cover for it so it can be left out in the better months.

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

That's brilliant, I think I know what I want for my birthday now.

Next door have a 'proper' outdoors pizza oven, this produces the best pizza I've ever tasted but was ~£2K I think.  >:-0

Guy next door says the secret is the right flour and to make the dough a couple of days before you need it.