Lawn mower advice please

HDAV

Being in lockdown has made this tricky, the in-laws (who are shielding) have a lawn issue, they used to have a young man come and cut the grass, I would also do it when visiting, however I cannot currently visit, and young man is not allowed (by his mother) to cut the lawn.

They have a push Mountfield rotary mower (petrol, pull start) older but does ok, however this is too heavy for them to easily use and they find it very hard to start. So as a stop gap we got them a cheap flymo from Argos (quick hassle free delivery) and while it is sort of keeping the grass down it’s not doing a great job.

FIL has a birthday coming up so I have been tasked with finding a mower....

HIs wish list: powered, electric start. Now I’m thinking by the time you make it powered and electric start it’s going to be heavy and costly and lawn isn’t that big. Electric is a pain but new battery type could be an option if it’s not too heavy has enough power and can easily be charged removing battery to charge could be an issue and shed current mower lives in has no power supply, only option probably to keep it in garage. 
so any recommendations for a power mower either battery or electric start petrol and ideally under £500

Honda or Stihl (my dad has a husqvarna mower which is great but a Honda motor) are my go to for proper garden gear (Bosch for electric as my garden is small I have Bosch mower (newer ones not as good as older), hedge cutter and blower (meh) 

so anyone got a shiny new mower that fits the brief? Battery is my thinking but am I wrong? And what brand? Are stihl/Honda etc still the go to? 

Probably as being self propelled would drain a battery very fast. Must be a company that does do it. Im sure the stihl pro range would, but i know from work the ap300 batterys are £200-300 and the charger the same again. An ap300 battery for comparison will last a long reach hedge cutter for about 2 hrs so might get a hour in a mower

Makita do a self propelled and its variable speed which the Stihl isn’t  😔

https://www.makitauk.com/product/dlm462z.html

so it’s looking like makita or husqvarna but both are more than double the price of a petrol unit from cobra (are cobra mowers any good or a receipe for trouble? As even if a decent warranty no way would they be able to put it in the car and take it for repairs currently.

Edited by HDAV

1 minute ago, HDAV said:

Battery? I’ll take a look thanks 

Yes - sorry, I should have said that bit !

It takes the same batteries as the Worx cordless drills, jigsaws, nibbler, etc. All of which we've found to be surprisingly good quality and long-lasting, even for farm use !

25 minutes ago, HDAV said:

Makita do a self propelled and its variable speed which the Stihl isn’t  😔

https://www.makitauk.com/product/dlm462z.html

so it’s looking like makita or husqvarna but both are more than double the price of a petrol unit from cobra (are cobra mowers any good or a receipe for trouble? As even if a decent warranty no way would they be able to put it in the car and take it for repairs currently.

We bought the Corded self propelled Cobra at the start of last summer, hoping not to put a damper on but no problems so far and does a pretty good job whist being fairly light

25 minutes ago, figgy said:

What about a robot mower, they can sit back and not worry about cutting the grass. Just need power for its docking charging station.

That was my first suggestion and they start at over £700? Also have a dog and cat to contend with....might have another look at them 

30 minutes ago, HDAV said:

That was my first suggestion and they start at over £700? Also have a dog and cat to contend with....might have another look at them 

My mate has got a couple of the Flymo robots. He rates them highly. They are made by Husqvana. I think they start at £200. My mate is tight So wouldn’t spend £700 on one let alone two. 

9 hours ago, figgy said:

What about a robot mower, they can sit back and not worry about cutting the grass. Just need power for its docking charging station.

As above. Then you’re sorted for next years pandemic. Cats are no problem - they move. Dogs need to be taught not to try and play with the mower but they are pretty safe generally.

15 hours ago, Mungler said:

Another vote for the Makita.

The whole range is magnificent; they do a battery leaf blower and hedge cutters too. All lightweight and cracking bits of kit. 

Good too see your still posting.....still into moody timepieces?

14 hours ago, SpringDon said:

As above. Then you’re sorted for next years pandemic. Cats are no problem - they move. Dogs need to be taught not to try and play with the mower but they are pretty safe generally.

Do you have one? The wiring puts the price up as does MIL insistence  on covering the grass with bird seed regularly..... how does it cope with dog mines? 

23 hours ago, AVB said:

My mate has got a couple of the Flymo robots. He rates them highly. They are made by Husqvana. I think they start at £200. My mate is tight So wouldn’t spend £700 on one let alone two. 

I’ll take a look but they ones I looked at started at £700 and need guide wires tricky......

£550 https://www.flymo.com/uk/product/robotics/1200r/967645003.html it’s the cheapest too https://www.flymo.com/uk/products/lawn-mowers/robotics/

Edited by HDAV

8 hours ago, HDAV said:

<snip>
Do you have one? The wiring puts the price up as does MIL insistence  on covering the grass with bird seed regularly..... how does it cope with dog mines? 

<snip>

I used to install them. Wiring is the most important bit, stapling it on the surface doesn’t work long term.

Bird seed is not problem. They cope with dog eggs but can you cope with finely chopped deposits spread around (not to mention cleaning the mower ). Better to pick them up.

5 hours ago, SpringDon said:

I used to install them. Wiring is the most important bit, stapling it on the surface doesn’t work long term.

Bird seed is not problem. They cope with dog eggs but can you cope with finely chopped deposits spread around (not to mention cleaning the mower ). Better to pick them up.

Wiring would be a challenge at the moment