Hand made wooden spoons

ehb102

Does anyone here make wooden spoons? Plain ones for cooking.

I am sick of cheap spoons that don't last. I bought a new pack and both split within the month. Yet at my parents' house there are spoons that have been in use since they were married. And my one decent hickory spoon goes on and on. Etsy offers me customised spoons which are just cheap spoons with writing on, or something that wouldn't look out of place at a medieval banquet. 

Good morning your Ladyship.

I suppose you have two options, buy cheap and cheerful versions and throw away when split, or buy expensive versions on personal recommendation from a user or two.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

On 10/05/2020 at 08:47, ehb102 said:

Does anyone here make wooden spoons? Plain ones for cooking.

I am sick of cheap spoons that don't last. I bought a new pack and both split within the month. Yet at my parents' house there are spoons that have been in use since they were married. And my one decent hickory spoon goes on and on. Etsy offers me customised spoons which are just cheap spoons with writing on, or something that wouldn't look out of place at a medieval banquet. 

I carve spoons. What size do you want?

C07E8BA5-6E5B-4199-B80F-23998469CB1A.jpeg

5F93607E-3237-4C8B-9114-F9E371290074.jpeg

Edited by moondoggy

1 minute ago, moondoggy said:

I'll take some pictures of some I have made so you can tell me if there is anything like you have in mind.

Can you please also tell us what woods you use and if some are better for different applications - cooking / serving etc.

6B3C1F89-03CF-403F-885A-41ECB7A78A23.jpeg.a6792a42d4e971fe95f24c0de93400ab.jpeg42F75C8B-6CB1-4ED7-92CE-AA5768363D50.jpeg.9b94c25ef8de869785040228469a8cfa.jpegB0C09C46-223B-47AA-9910-59D9D6B27FF3.jpeg.d51c3b921cee0ab9811c0cf4678ac188.jpeg016511E0-0497-4850-930A-82995B364904.jpeg.a1f1d4ec0fee4aee2199e4558099028d.jpeg3056D2CE-C6E2-4782-8212-BEF2F02B3CA9.jpeg.878b81b96c821ebfa36a9c4c31ae03fe.jpegTop picture shows a group of spoons I have carved 

The pictures below are close ups of those spoons with a rule for scale.

The woods are various, usually cherry, plum, apple, silver birch etc.

The large flat ended spatula spoon is plum (donated by a PW member), as is the butter knife.

The large 12” spoon is honey locust (Gleditsia).

I usually just start carving a piece of green wood and see what developers as I go along.

All of the spoons are totally hand carved using axe, knife and crook knife. I sometimes also use draw knives. I do not use any power tools at all on my spoons.

Forgot to say, all my spoons shown are finished with food friendly ‘spoon butter’ made by myself using coconut oil, beeswax and orange oil.

Edited by moondoggy

Just now, moondoggy said:

Thank you. Ideal hobby for you, just sit in your wood with your chopper out whittling away. Just need a large log of tree stump for the axe work. Very relaxing pastime 👍

lin wants to start carving spoons , i even bought her one of the hook knife jobbies , but she spends her carving time carving faces .

On 12/05/2020 at 00:21, moondoggy said:

I carve spoons. What size do you want?

Those look awesome!

My favourite wooden spoons are just under a foot long. That's a good distance for being able to stir something boiling and not get burned from the steam. 

If you can help me would you like to message me with a price? Thank you x

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, been concreting, horrible job.

Yes, should be able to come up with something. Owee wants a 24” spoon, so I thought I would knock up a couple, one for you and one for Owee. Once complete, I will send you photos to make sure you are happy. If you like them, we could come to an agreement on price. How does that sound to you?
There is no obligation as I want you to be happy with what I make.
Do you have any preference on wood? I thought something like cherry?

Cheers,

Paul

On 10/05/2020 at 09:42, TIGHTCHOKE said:

This was gone by the time I clicked back. Someone else has followed your recommendation!

On 15/05/2020 at 14:46, moondoggy said:

Yes, should be able to come up with something. Owee wants a 24” spoon, so I thought I would knock up a couple, one for you and one for Owee. Once complete, I will send you photos to make sure you are happy. If you like them, we could come to an agreement on price. How does that sound to you?
There is no obligation as I want you to be happy with what I make.
Do you have any preference on wood? I thought something like cherry?

Sounds great. Something hard wearing would be great. I don't mind hand washing it, but I don't want it to die if someone puts it in the dishwasher once. Something with a little flatness at the very end for actually moving stuff off the bottom of the pan would be perfect. Thanks.