Poultry slaughter

Wb123

For reasons I would rather avoid publicising until the project is further along the road I need to find a way to slaughter birds without bleeding. 

Wringing the neck neck as I usually do often seems to result in a bleed into the neck. I was considering trying suffocation but a lantern in a box only gets the oxygen down to 16% or so, and using baking soda to generate a carbon dioxide fill will exceed the 30% limit. I need this to fit within the approved processes so as far as I can tell that leaves argon or nitrogen for gassing which in either case is a substantial expense to get set up. 

Can anyone think of another simpler simpler solution I have missed?

Thank you very much for the help everyone. 

Interestingly those references seem to suggest high concentration single stage carbon dioxide is acceptable, in which case we have a cheap and simple solution. 

I am based in Northern Ireland which complicates matters somewhat however for current purposes I have enough to approach the various bodies of relevance. I suspect we will be exempt from the local slaughter man Licencing programme under the home kill note, so long as they are happy the use of the carcasses is exempt as it’s not for foodstuff. 

2 hours ago, Wb123 said:

Thank you very much for the help everyone. 

Interestingly those references seem to suggest high concentration single stage carbon dioxide is acceptable, in which case we have a cheap and simple solution. 

I am based in Northern Ireland which complicates matters somewhat however for current purposes I have enough to approach the various bodies of relevance. I suspect we will be exempt from the local slaughter man Licencing programme under the home kill note, so long as they are happy the use of the carcasses is exempt as it’s not for foodstuff. 

Don't think you will come under home kill rules if its not for food, if its for animal health you could be ok but I don't think you will be  and if its for scientific reasons you will need a watok (apha, defra , fsa) plus schedule 1 register (home office). Its all good  fun and a bit of a mine field!

If you track down the watok regs there is a list of exemptions 

Edited by bluesj

How many birds? Try a pair of wide jaw secaturs with the edges of the cutting blade ground to a edge with a U profile. ZSo it doesn't break the skin. Use that to break the fowls' necks by parting the vertebrae. There was a device sold many years ago for gameshooters.

At the local cattle market to kill geese and turkeys they have a thing that is like the two finger salute that the birds' necks fit in with the bird head down. And then a pull of a lever and one set of the two fingers goes down the other stays holding against the breast where it is. In effect like the traditional Austro-Hungarian pole method of hanging except that the bird is head down. 

If all else fails have you considered having then talked to death, en masse, by Jehovah's Witnesses? It is usually five minutes elapsed before the will to live departs the body.

Edited by enfieldspares

A UK supplier has here and also a wall mounted version of it:

http://www.sprcentre.com/Online-Shop-Categories/Poultry-House-Accessories

IMHO the handheld plier type things are quicker if you have an assistant and you work out a system.

But for electrics and/or other methods here:

https://www.burdis-poultry.com/en/16-poultry-slaughtering-equipment

Edited by enfieldspares

11 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

A UK supplier has here and also a wall mounted version of it:

http://www.sprcentre.com/Online-Shop-Categories/Poultry-House-Accessories

IMHO the handheld plier type things are quicker if you have an assistant and you work out a system.

But for electrics and/or other methods here:

https://www.burdis-poultry.com/en/16-poultry-slaughtering-equipment

Many thanks. Unfortunately I suspect either device would lead to them bleeding into the neck. If an electronic device is enough to kill without needing bleeding though that could suffice if we don’t have significant problems with fractures, the devices for sale there however suggest the bird must be bled immediately post stunning. 

We have spoken to someone who has been through the home office Licencing process and were due to have an informal meeting with a chap who works for the home office in this field, but the whole pandemic thing has been problematic so I was hoping to have things fleshed out before meeting. 

Edited by Wb123

1 hour ago, peck said:

Why would you not want to bleed the bird. Most methods of humane slaughter consist of the bird first being stunned then bled to death with a cut to the throat.

The end market isn’t food and not bleeding is vital for their purpose. I promise I will explain more if this gets off the ground without the animal rights lot digging up relatives. 

I spent this morning ringing various people in the department of food and agriculture none of whom could help regarding any need for licencing if any kind. They just avoided providing any opinion and said it didn’t seem to fall into the remit of any department they could think of. Back to the home office people we go, in the hope it’s not their remit either. 

I seem to remember mink farmers use some sort of carbon monoxide poisoning, I think they use a petrol engine with the exhaust going into a box in which they put the mink.                             Have a look here.     https://www.hsi.org/news-media/fur_farming_eu/

Sounds like its going to have to be gassing of some  sort. 

39 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

The end market isn’t food and not bleeding is vital for their purpose. I promise I will explain more if this gets off the ground without the animal rights lot digging up relatives. 

I spent this morning ringing various people in the department of food and agriculture none of whom could help regarding any need for licencing if any kind. They just avoided providing any opinion and said it didn’t seem to fall into the remit of any department they could think of. Back to the home office people we go, in the hope it’s not their remit either. 

Told you it was all good fun!  We couldn't get a straight answer out of any of them as to weather we needed a licence or not until it was part of a contract then it took them 3 years to work out a way assess us!

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

How many do you need to slaughter? 

Even if this goes well it will be small numbers a year, probably no more than ten  or twenty at a time a few times a year, though I may have to able to take them to customers then slaughter or slaughter and then same day courier. Timings all need further work which may not be admissible without licencing if indeed it is required. 

1 hour ago, peck said:

I seem to remember mink farmers use some sort of carbon monoxide poisoning, I think they use a petrol engine with the exhaust going into a box in which they put the mink.                             Have a look here.     https://www.hsi.org/news-media/fur_farming_eu/

It looks like high concentration carbon dioxide would be cheap to set up and do the job just right. 

10 hours ago, peck said:

I was thinking gassing too if the meat isn’t for consumption and numbers are manageable. I have no idea about any licensing as it mainly relates to production of food. 

8 hours ago, old man said:

Carbon dioxide maybe, not monoxide.

Used in places for high throughput of pig slaughter but not without huge welfare issues?

High concentration CO2 is legal for poultry if I remember rightly but pigs get more distressed by it and need a multistage system with low then high concentration once they lose consciousness. 

Can you get hold of dry ice.

This generates a very high concentration of carbon dioxide in an enclosed chamber.

Another option would be a carbon dioxide cylinder piped to an enclosed chamber.

You can use these, but you do get a slight bleed in the neck.

https://www.solwayfeeders.com/gamekeeping-accessories/gamekeeper-aids/humane-bird-dispatcher-p7401-c452/

Edited by loriusgarrulus

On 14/05/2020 at 14:11, scobydog said:

Water hemlock/Dropwort ,if you can find some in NI on the river banks, give it  them as a last meal. Few minutes later they will have asphyxiated ,  be very careful handling it though. Think it is still Britain's most poisonous plant. 

That is worth a look, thank you very much. 

6 hours ago, Harry136 said:

What about nitrogen, has been considered good enough for legal executions, and is used in animal slaughter.

Nitrogen would be most humane but the cylinders are much more expensive than CO2 and I already have a CO2 regulator.