What's This Please - Any Entomologists?

CaptC

This strange "structure" has been built in 12 hours. I went out to close a shed door and it was stuck on the back cross piece.

Measures approx 2.5" high and about the same across the top.  My thumb gives you a rough idea.

What is clever as that the top section has a "skirt" - the bottom has a hole for entry/exit?

I suspect some kind of wasp or bee as the "structure" is similar to the paper mache that you find in wasps nests

Thanks in advance!

DSC_0001 (23).JPG

DSC_0002 (28).JPG

18 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

My daughter gets them all the time on her allotment.

Small or beginnings of wasp nests.

Thanks for the answers - A bit early for wasps though? Will have to ask the Memsahib as to possible disposal as the dear lady dislikes bloodshed (slight pun there)

20 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Mmmm Might change my mind and dispose of the nest.

There will not be swarms of wasps, maybe 50 or so. I have had them in my shed and they just come and go and as Charlie T said they are fascinating to watch, if you are unsure, just keep an eye on them, if you feel threatened they are easy to kill with a can of wasp/fly killer, just give the nest a good spray and retreat, you may need a second spray just to finish them off.

It is the start of a wasps nest, as has been said.

At this time of year wasps are out collecting caterpillars to feed their young, they are very efficient at this and will remove an incredible amount of pests from the garden. Later in the year they switch from this protein requirement and go after more sugary things, fruit, sweets, pop, beer etc. It is at this time they become a nuisance.

The clever thing to do is leave them alone for now and then see them off just as they switch to being a pain (literally).

33 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

It is the start of a wasps nest, as has been said.

At this time of year wasps are out collecting caterpillars to feed their young, they are very efficient at this and will remove an incredible amount of pests from the garden. Later in the year they switch from this protein requirement and go after more sugary things, fruit, sweets, pop, beer etc. It is at this time they become a nuisance.

The clever thing to do is leave them alone for now and then see them off just as they switch to being a pain (literally).

No its not, it’s the wrong construction for a start, look up solitary wasps.

It's a wasp starter cell/nest. Built by the queen who will be laying eggs in it to get her workers up and running. 

I would get rid of it ASAP. Do it in the dark to ensure she is in there (if it's big enough there may be workers already, get them too) A blast with a decent insect spray knock, it into a box or bag and squash it. Then on to the bin. Take care not to disturb any occupants so they attack you. Take precautions to avoid getting stung, especially if you have any reactions to insect stings. If she (the queen) is active it will grow rapidly if left.

I run a pest control company, you could always pay me to come and sort it! :) 

Just now, Lampwick said:

It's a wasp starter cell/nest. Built by the queen who will be laying eggs in it to get her workers up and running. 

I would get rid of it ASAP. Do it in the dark to ensure she is in there (if it's big enough there may be workers already, get them too) A blast with a decent insect spray knock, it into a box or bag and squash it. Then on to the bin. Take care not to disturb any occupants so they attack you. Take precautions to avoid getting stung, especially if you have any reactions to insect stings. If she (the queen) is active it will grow rapidly if left.

What do you charge per mile?:whistling:

27 minutes ago, Lampwick said:

21 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What do you charge per mile?:whistling:

Sorry but being Cornish x Yorkshire the very thought of paying makes me quake! Seriously - I will remove the nest this evening when it gets dark. I will quickly pop it into a bag and squash it!

Cheers all

Just now, CaptC said:

Sorry but being Cornish x Yorkshire the very thought of paying makes me quake! Seriously - I will remove the nest this evening when it gets dark. I will quickly pop it into a bag and squash it!

Cheers all

No take it down carefully and post it to someone, not me though!