Emigrating

NorfolkAYA

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, old man said:

Do proper research on NZ? 

A range of climates, not too many scary creatures and plenty of game, pests and wild areas? Seemed a relaxed way of life where you were expected to have enough common sense to survive?

How many years before your allowed a gun licence though? 

My daughter has been on the waiting list for Canada for a couple of years. She has the points criteria to allow her go but her husband at thirty two is deemed to ‘old’. Both have occupations that the Canadians are looking for. I have been informed that Canada is looking for people of a certain age who will have loads of children as their economy will soon suffer due to their increasingly aging population. New Zealand is still a fantastic country but is culturally changing rapidly due to the amount of people emigrating there

2 minutes ago, old man said:

A visitors ticket and paid trips would probably get you through that situation?

Yes probably, but then you have to pay someone to take you out whenever you want to go. 

Seems like it kind of defeats the point of moving out there for that lifestyle if your not able to freely do it? 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

Yes probably, but then you have to pay someone to take you out whenever you want to go. 

Seems like it kind of defeats the point of moving out there for that lifestyle if your not able to freely do it? 🤷‍♂️

There used to be a lot more common sense over there, lakes were not surrounded with lifebelt stands, similarly hazards are not fenced like here? The assumption being use your common sense ,don't expect to be told? Not sure you could rock up here and freely partake either? I liked the Kiwi way!

Guess what is my biggest regret?........?

24 minutes ago, old man said:

There used to be a lot more common sense over there, lakes were not surrounded with lifebelt stands, similarly hazards are not fenced like here? The assumption being use your common sense ,don't expect to be told? Not sure you could rock up here and freely partake either? I liked the Kiwi way!

Guess what is my biggest regret?........?

Can’t rock up here but at least the OP (I assume) already has firearms / shotgun licence. 

It looks like a nice place over there I suppose it depends what your into. 

The fishing looks insane and the hunting. Just don’t want the OP to think he can go over and jump right into it for him to be left disappointed 🤷‍♂️ Guess it’s something you need to go into with your eyes wide open. 

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Can’t rock up here but at least the OP (I assume) already has firearms / shotgun licence. 

It looks like a nice place over there I suppose it depends what your into. 

The fishing looks insane and the hunting. Just don’t want the OP to think he can go over and jump right into it for him to be left disappointed 🤷‍♂️ Guess it’s something you need to go into with your eyes wide open. 

As with everything maybe?

Didn't see many clay grounds but some friends bought a new section and took over 100 goats off it in an organised weekend.

Edited by old man

2 minutes ago, old man said:

As with everything maybe?

You’d be surprised how many people get an idea into their head, the rose tinted glasses are on and when they’re there it’s not what they imagined in their romanticised version of events. 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

You’d be surprised how many people get an idea into their head, the rose tinted glasses are on and when they’re there it’s not what they imagined in their romanticised version of events. 

At least over there the rose tint isn't from pigs flying overhead, just awesome sunsets over the ocean.

29 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

If I was 60 years younger I would certainly look at New Zealand although over recent years I have warmed to Tasmania.  Looking through various you tube videos it does look a very nice place. Nice climate and relatively easy reach of the mainland. 

That would be worth a look?

My uncle emigrated to Australia in the mid 80's and they stuck it out even though his daughters were badly bullied on a daily basis in a variety of different ways leading to suicidal thoughts. Once you are there you become the immigrant and will be accepted and rejected in turn.

23 minutes ago, henry d said:

My uncle emigrated to Australia in the mid 80's and they stuck it out even though his daughters were badly bullied on a daily basis in a variety of different ways leading to suicidal thoughts. Once you are there you become the immigrant and will be accepted and rejected in turn.

That sounds awful. 

Thanks for your replies.

Like I said very early on, we are planning on holidaying in NZ next year first off. 

With regards to shooting, I'm not thinking I can just go out and take it up, to be honest I have been slowly moving away from my shooting, much more enjoying fishing (or was before the lockdown).

Just looking for much more of the relaxed lifestyle. Work life balance. 

New zealand is over due a major earthquake at the moment which is quite worrying, but I spose you can't live your life on what it's.

ATB 

Pete 

4 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

That sounds awful. 

It was, my cousins were traumatized by it, still are.

4 minutes ago, NorfolkAYA said:

much more enjoying fishing (or was before the lockdown).

Then you would really enjoy it in NZ, I've seen some of the kayak and jetski videos and it looks fantastic! Even the FW fishing is good.

Mum emigrated to Canada (Scarborough, ontario), in 1967 with her then husband. They both worked for David brown tractors then, he a draftsman, she a typist. In those days, Canada was crying out for skilled workers and had very few requirements for residence. They loved it, big house in the suburbs, lots of brits already out there, great social life. My sisters were born there in 69. Mum fondly remembers everyone having a swimming pool that was frozen solid for 5 months of the year, and the midges when it was warmer. 

Then her husband got cancer and died in 1971. Mum was left with 2 toddlers. Her sister came out to help for a year, but they agreed it wouldn't work so she had to return to England. 

Mum then met my dad in 74, so I guess lucky for me things worked out how they did. But without the family support network if things go wrong, it's a very difficult thing to do. My sister found that out the hard way. Both my sisters are dual passport holders due to being born there, and one of them has emigrated twice, first in 97 to Toronto (lasted a year), lost her job and couldn't find another, and second time to vancouver (18 months), got homesick and had a breakdown. 

More recently, a colleague, very experienced in his industry went out to North Island, nz to a similar job role (but not quite the same). Sold his house here, all his family ready to move. He went first, family set to follow a few months later after the house sale completed his wife changed her mind and didn't want to go. The job over there wasn't quite what he thought either. He went through hell, lost a lot of money and had to return to the UK and beg for his old job back. Luckily the boss is a good egg and he is back with us, but he discovered that these things aren't as straight forward as it seems. 

Hello from western Canada :   A few random thoughts on immigrating to Canada ; you can own and use a firearm shortly after arriving by taking a firearms course and exam (very basic stuff) You can even do it online from England and buy and use long guns here even if not a resident, not pistols though. Health care would be very similar to England except drugs MAY not be included. You can get a job here and be sponsored for citizenship , apply with your experience and education as proof of ability to get a job , buy a business (may be minimum investment ) -very popular with Asians. , buy 160 acres for a farm and probably a few other situations.

Having shot in England and being familiar with your shooting / hunting situation I think you would find it much easier to own and use firearms here but  far more limited hunting opportunities ie: deer season only two weeks long and one deer , moose maybe longer but not many moose. Birds have month or two seasons but waterfowl leave at freeze up and grays are hard to hunt in very cold weather.

However it is prohibited by law to charge to hunt on private land and would be rare to be refused access . 

Cost wise : a cup of coffee with endless refills will be about $2.50 and a liter of gas is about .90 cents. You can do the conversion.

My closest farm neighbour is a war bride , love here, Englands loss and Canada s gain.

So if you are not a lefty come on over. It is still the new world here.

I had a year work permit for Australia, worked in agriculture mostly..absolutely loved it but missed the seasons, often wonder what would have happened if i had emigrated.. can you not go for a year and find out if you like it

Edited by islandgun

2 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Moved from the UK to NZ 8 years ago. Lots to talk about, where to start? If you have any specific questions, ask away, either on this thread or via PM. I'll give honest answers, I don't feel the need to sugarcoat anything.

Biggest cultural difference you've noticed between Blighty and NZ?  Or, put another, what perfectly normal thing that you did in the UK, did somebody have to take you aside and have quiet word to tell you that it's not really acceptable in NZ?

On 10/05/2020 at 20:10, Vince Green said:

I looked seriously at Canada about eight years ago. They wanted a $200,000 CAN bond (refundable after 5 years) from me to grant me residence and proof of my assets, medical cover, pension etc. Plus about $50,000 for an immigration lawyer to process / expedite my application. Oh and I wouldn't be able to own firearms which rather negated my reason to go.

In the end I bought a house in Abercynon / Mountain Ash, South Wales instead and absolutely loved the place. Absolutely brilliant

Hi vince not so brilliant before early 90s the coke works was something else to smell and behold I think it probably cut short many a life! O and the underground coal fire that burnt for years in the mountain was something else

On 11/05/2020 at 22:05, Lloyd90 said:

How many years before your allowed a gun licence though? 

You don't even have to be a resident, although the process can take a little while. Once you've got your Firearms License, you're good to go, no restrictions  on calibres or where you can shoot (as long as you have permission from the landowner if not public land). It's still pretty lax, even after Christchurch.

9 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Biggest cultural difference you've noticed between Blighty and NZ?  Or, put another, what perfectly normal thing that you did in the UK, did somebody have to take you aside and have quiet word to tell you that it's not really acceptable in NZ?

Good question. I will preface everything I write on this thread by stating that everyone's experience of emigration is different, even if they appear superficially similar. I've met people from the UK who are on a high just by being in NZ, others who seemed to hate every moment and went home after a short time. Also, I have not lived in every part of NZ, just as I haven't lived in every part of the UK, so anything I write is a generalisation which may or may not be applicable to your situation.

So, biggest cultural difference? For me, it would be the "she'll be right" attitude of Kiwis. They make and mend or put up with the things that aren't right to save money. They take risks and we have an accidental death rate to prove it. They are very practical people. They want a shed, they build one from scratch. Need some landscaping done? Borrow a digger and get on with it. It is a somewhat endearing trait, but the quality of housing is poor to the point that it affects health. Lots of houses are basically like damp, cold sheds. If you're from farming stock in the UK, or have had a practical, tough life, this won't be a shock. If you're used to creature comforts, central heating and double glazing, you might be in for a surprise. 

Nobody has taken me aside and asked me to modify my behaviour. Most New Zealanders have British origins and there is a massive expat community. Even people born in NZ often have one or two parents who were born in the UK, so we are not world's apart. They are some specific practices related to Maori culture which we will probably talk about in due course, but in general, this isn't something that is going to be an issue for a new immigrant.  One thing that isn't tolerated is any form of snobbery. If you exhibit an air of superiority, you won't make many friends. Although people are generally very polite, there isn't much emphasis on traditional. For example, turning up to shoot pheasants with a camo semi-auto is just fine, no one is going to bat an eyelid.

One last caveat, NZ society is changing fast due to urbanisation and immigration. We have seen those changes in the years we have been here. For better or worse, NZ is becoming more like the UK and other westernised countries every day. 

Edited by Houseplant