Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Heron

Dog attacked

Recommended Posts

This morning why I was out with my dog she started to play with another dog all of a sudden the other dog turned on mine and gave her a nip my dog has come back home and spent all day on her bed and is not her usual self I checked her for damage and she appears to be OK she is walking OK and has eaten but she is very quiet and introverted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suffering from shock. Key thing is how you reintroduce her to other dogs. I would give her a couple of days and if you have a mate with good soft natured dogs socially distance yourselves and let the dogs play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, The Heron said:

This morning why I was out with my dog she started to play with another dog all of a sudden the other dog turned on mine and gave her a nip my dog has come back home and spent all day on her bed and is not her usual self I checked her for damage and she appears to be OK she is walking OK and has eaten but she is very quiet and introverted. 

 

This is why I avoid other people and their poorly trained dogs when I go out, too much bother. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

 

This is why I avoid other people and their poorly trained dogs when I go out, too much bother. 

 

This.....and carry a thumb stick too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, London Best said:

This.....and carry a thumb stick too!

Yes always good to give the owner a good whack!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It is all most of them understand.

Actually, what I usually do is run at the offending dog(s) waving the stick aloft and yelling. The owners generally get their dogs under control ASAP if they think you’re going to whack their dog with your stick.

Edited to add that I have twice had dog walkers call the police on me, only for the officer to tell them that it was their responsibility to keep their dog under control and away from me.

Edited by London Best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble is a lot of people think that Fido just wants to play saying it's friendly then when it goes wrong they say oh it's never done that before . I keep my dog away from others for that reason,he is fine with other dog's when working if they get the hump when I refuse to let him (play ) with other dog's then tuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly, same here. 
Also, it’s very annoying when somebody’s untrained mutt ruins the last three month’s training you have put in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also put my dog back in the car when waiting between drive's when we are beating or picking up whenever possible,lunch time can be a pain when others just leave their dogs to mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, B725 said:

I also put my dog back in the car when waiting between drive's when we are beating or picking up whenever possible,lunch time can be a pain when others just leave their dogs to mix.

I do similar, when possible.

Must be a Derbyshire thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was attacked by 2 standard poodles while out with my dog, both were male dogs and were more interested in attacking me then my bitch who was on her lead. The owner wasn't impressed when I produced my lock knife and said if the dog bites me I will stab it. 

He then tried to calm both these dogs down that had no collars and he didn't have any leads they then both turned and were advancing on him. A lost the plot and offered to shoot both the dangerous dogs. I will never understand anyone that has a dog they can't control on or off a lead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, washerboy said:

I was attacked by 2 standard poodles while out with my dog, both were male dogs and were more interested in attacking me then my bitch who was on her lead. The owner wasn't impressed when I produced my lock knife and said if the dog bites me I will stab it. 

He then tried to calm both these dogs down that had no collars and he didn't have any leads they then both turned and were advancing on him. A lost the plot and offered to shoot both the dangerous dogs. I will never understand anyone that has a dog they can't control on or off a lead. 

Thanks everyone. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote this last night before any replies but decided against posting it: 

How unusual that she is upset, do you have other dogs with her? Normally they bounce back if the can be around good dogs. I would try to avoid any changes to routine and certainly do not fuss over her when she is anxious, that will encourage it. Ignore the event and ensure that in future you stop the situation occurring before it happens. 
 

My dogs have learnt that if it looks like “it” will hit the fan I will give a clear verbal warning to the other dog/owner by way of “ENOUGH” deep and at full volume with downward hand gesture and aggressive body language. If that is ignored seconds later will be flying in boot or stick first before my dogs react. I try not to let them get involved at all even if being attacked. You want them to feel secure that you are top dog, that way your dog doesn’t feel the need to be aggressive in situations as you have their back. The other day a spaniel trainer (unknown) thanked me for “applying corrective force” to her dog via a size 11 boot. The spaniel ran up snarling and barking at my boys but I ran at it and stopped it before it could get within a couple of metres. She had 5 dogs but was sensible, apologetic and polite. I was on my own with a 1 year old, 3 year old and five year old - my own dogs heeling at my side. If my dogs have any aggression when young (barking, chasing other dogs, any snarling, invading people’s personal space) then that is punished by pinning to the floor in a submissive manner by the scruff, they quickly learn civility. 

I don’t know how serious your coming together was but did you get the other owner’s details? I can be quite insistent and, when it has been required, ensured that I got their address and number on the spot so they can pay my vet bills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I wrote this last night before any replies but decided against posting it: 

How unusual that she is upset, do you have other dogs with her? Normally they bounce back if the can be around good dogs. I would try to avoid any changes to routine and certainly do not fuss over her when she is anxious, that will encourage it. Ignore the event and ensure that in future you stop the situation occurring before it happens. 
 

My dogs have learnt that if it looks like “it” will hit the fan I will give a clear verbal warning to the other dog/owner by way of “ENOUGH” deep and at full volume with downward hand gesture and aggressive body language. If that is ignored seconds later will be flying in boot or stick first before my dogs react. I try not to let them get involved at all even if being attacked. You want them to feel secure that you are top dog, that way your dog doesn’t feel the need to be aggressive in situations as you have their back. The other day a spaniel trainer (unknown) thanked me for “applying corrective force” to her dog via a size 11 boot. The spaniel ran up snarling and barking at my boys but I ran at it and stopped it before it could get within a couple of metres. She had 5 dogs but was sensible, apologetic and polite. I was on my own with a 1 year old, 3 year old and five year old - my own dogs heeling at my side. If my dogs have any aggression when young (barking, chasing other dogs, any snarling, invading people’s personal space) then that is punished by pinning to the floor in a submissive manner by the scruff, they quickly learn civility. 

I don’t know how serious your coming together was but did you get the other owner’s details? I can be quite insistent and, when it has been required, ensured that I got their address and number on the spot so they can pay my vet bills.

I have been out this morning and we met up with the same dog there was no reaction from either dog but I did put myself between them I see this man and his dog everyday and we speak my dog is very exuberant and can be a bit to much for some older dogs she's a a lot better this morning but still not her self. 

Thank you for your advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Heron said:

 my dog she started to play with another dog ....

58 minutes ago, The Heron said:

my dog is very exuberant and can be a bit to much

 

So ....are you saying that you're dog was "out of control" ?  🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, harkom said:

So ....are you saying that you're dog was "out of control" ?  🤨

No she is only just twelve months so like any youngster she is full of energy all that they were doing was playing and chasing each other my dog does this with some other dogs when she meets them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It goes without saying that this (below quote) only occurs when another dog is within metres of me. I always “pip” my dogs to turn them (or “pip pip pip” to recall) if they get within say 5m of a dog and its owner. If the dog is loose and away from the owner calmly then I allow them to interact, if the dog becomes boisterous I recall mine to a sit or heel. If we are on a narrow path and an oncoming dog is loose I leave them but will “trill” (which is my annoyed whistle that means for my dogs to heel or woe betide) if my dogs dawdle or crowd the other dog. It’s all good socialisation, my dogs have to be trusted be squeezed into the back of a Land Rover with a dozen others and behave themselves. 

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

a clear verbal warning to the other dog/owner by way of “ENOUGH” deep and at full volume with downward hand gesture and aggressive

Edited by WalkedUp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like your over familiar young dog got 'taught' its manners by a, possibly a bit crusty, older dog and came away a trifle chastened by the experience. 

This is how healthy normal dogs interact and I'm amazed that it should generate a page full of comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It depends upon the severity and reasonableness of the lesson. If a dog gets bitten it has gone too far IMO. 
 

My 14 week old pup had its ear torn in two by a friend’s older dog that it simply walked past. That dog is now dead.

Whilst a fat unaccompanied Labrador attacked (bounded into twice, jumping up) my pregnant wife and her elderly aunt whilst we were walking on a deserted beach near her aunt’s home in Scotland, knocking the aunt over (she is also sadly deceased now). I was carrying my oldest two sons and so had no hands free so had to command the dogs to “have it”. The Labrador was ripped to shreds, it was quite sickening to see the ferocity in my dogs and the skin torn from the flesh before they listened to the command to “halt”. The lab was howling in pain, the poor thing it wasn’t the dog’s fault that it had been badly trained. The owners probably thought it was a cheeky little handful and loves attention jumping up. It could have seriously injured someone. I had to send my dogs into the sea a few times to get the blood off them and was very unhappy they had been forced to be aggressive. 

Edited by WalkedUp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

depends upon the severity and reasonableness of the lesson.

Read the OPs post. There's not a mark on his dog.

Not sure what any of this has to do with your attack dogs either, but it's obviously a story you wanted to get off your chest. Incidentally, the fact that the lab was 'fat' suggests that it was domesticated and had an owner who spoiled it, and the fact that it was unaccompanied would suggest quite probably it was lost. Did it never occur to you that the lab might have been frantically looking for its indulgent owner and not fully in control of itself? It would have been my thought anyway.

Edited by Retsdon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Heron said:

No she is only just twelve months so like any youngster she is full of energy all that they were doing was playing and chasing each other my dog does this with some other dogs when she meets them. 

Id try and cut that out personally, it’s a bloody nuisance having a dog that spots other people’s dogs in the distance or whatever and runs off to “go play with them”.
 

Also as you have found your dog running up to others can lead to it getting attacked and to be brutally honest I would consider that your fault for not having the dog under control. 
 

On top of that if the dog is a worker then you want it to be focused on you. We had to tell a bloke last season (repeatedly) to put his Labrador back on the lead when beating as the dog spent the entire time trying to jump on and “play” with other people’s dogs whilst they were trying to work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

but it's obviously a story you wanted to get off your chest.

That is true, however I would maintain that it is tangentially relevant - if your dog is not under control it may get itself into a situation were it comes to harm. The owner of the dog seemed to be a man walking on the cliffs 300-400m away. We stuck after around the dog ran back to him to “debrief” but he never bothered to come down off the rocks and they just walked on. My wife’s aunt was quite shaken by being knocked over, but fortunately the sand was soft and no damage done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

Did it never occur to you that the lab might have been frantically looking for its indulgent owner and not fully in control of itself? It would have been my thought anyway.

So your elderly aunt and heavily pregnant wife have just been physically attacked by a dog with your young children present and your thoughts at the time are about the wellbeing of the attacking dog?

🙈🙈🙈

That is a first 🤣

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Id try and cut that out personally, it’s a bloody nuisance having a dog that spots other people’s dogs in the distance or whatever and runs off to “go play with them”.
 

Also as you have found your dog running up to others can lead to it getting attacked and to be brutally honest I would consider that your fault for not having the dog under control. 
 

On top of that if the dog is a worker then you want it to be focused on you. We had to tell a bloke last season (repeatedly) to put his Labrador back on the lead when beating as the dog spent the entire time trying to jump on and “play” with other people’s dogs whilst they were trying to work. 

That's a fair comment but my dog has been playing with this dog and some others for months and my self and the other dog owners know each other and walk together I would not normally let my dog run at a strange dog. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot of  my dogs trained better than your dog posts here 

the op said the dogs were already happily playing  and the other dog gave him a nip the dog has no marks and is ok apart from been shocked 

he didn’t say there was a continued attack 

also didn’t say it just ran over and bounced on him and nipped him 

 

they were playing and the older dog has given the younger dog a warning nip ( the op also states in later post his can be a bit exuberant ) 

 

so all this talk of kicking the dogs and such like has no relevance to this post he didn’t ask how to brake up dog or what to do if they are fighting 

he asked about his dog not been his normal self and as pointed out it’s just a bit of shock 

and from the op saying they have seen each other since and been fine it’s obvious the warning nip has done it’s intended and his dog has learnt from it 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...