Help with puppy.

fatchap

Hoping someone on here can give me some help/advice. I have a 5 month old Staffy french bulldog cross, And the problem I have is he eats everything, paper dirt anything he can find that will fit in his mouth he will eat, I have gone over the garden with fine tooth comb and picked up all the small sticks, but he always manages to find something and has usually swallowed it by the time I've got to him. I have been online and read the usual horror stories, he may have cancer, liver failure, lacking in vitamins. the usual **** you read, nothing helpful. The vet says if he's that bad I need to supervise his garden time, but he just thinks its a game and gets the zoomies and don't do his business out there and ends up going indoors. He is just as bad out on his walks, but I have better control. if he stops for instance at a takeaway container, which he always does obviously I pull him away from it. But I am bricking it when he is out in the garden, always chewing something, one day he is going to get hold of something he and I will regret and a very expensive trip to the vet. 

Would a muzzle be the way forward when he is out in the garden, as I can't keep following him around all the time. I'd like to let him out there all the time if I can. And not worry he is going to choke or worse poison himself. I check every morning for mushrooms and other fungus growing, because I know he won't be able to resist those, if its new he will try and eat it. He is house trained but since I have been supervising him in the garden like I said he thinks its a game and forgets to do what he's supposed to.

Any advice much appreciated.

Edited by fatchap

I have had springers and labs for forty years now and the labs will eat any cr*p that comes their way when free running. At present grass as it tastes good and constantly chewing sticks. Cow and sheep 💩 is treated as desert. When at heel or working no problems. I have never had a problem in all this time and have tried all types of vitamin supplements. If you are worried about poison etc yes a muzzle. I personally do not worry about mine from experience but do have pups insured as they are most vulnerable. I have fungi about but have never seen a dog eating it.

32 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Hoping someone on here can give me some help/advice. I have a 5 month old Staffy french bulldog cross, And the problem I have is he eats everything, paper dirt anything he can find that will fit in his mouth he will eat, I have gone over the garden with fine tooth comb and picked up all the small sticks, but he always manages to find something and has usually swallowed it by the time I've got to him. I have been online and read the usual horror stories, he may have cancer, liver failure, lacking in vitamins. the usual **** you read, nothing helpful. The vet says if he's that bad I need to supervise his garden time, but he just thinks its a game and gets the zoomies and don't do his business out there and ends up going indoors. He is just as bad out on his walks, but I have better control. if he stops for instance at a takeaway container, which he always does obviously I pull him away from it. But I am bricking it when he is out in the garden, always chewing something, one day he is going to get hold of something he and I will regret and a very expensive trip to the vet. 

Would a muzzle be the way forward when he is out in the garden, as I can't keep following him around all the time. I'd like to let him out there all the time if I can. And not worry he is going to choke or worse poison himself. I check every morning for mushrooms and other fungus growing, because I know he won't be able to resist those, if its new he will try and eat it. He is house trained but since I have been supervising him in the garden like I said he thinks its a game and forgets to do what he's supposed to.

Mine swallowed three socks in quick succession late one night ended up at the vet at two o'clock in the morning and a seventy five pound bill. 

Could you build a fenced in safe area in the garden for him. If they are unsupervised with a muzzle they will try and often succeed in getting the muzzle off. It also might make him adverse to going out in the garden to do his business.

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

You were lucky, The Heron - I have a receipt here for my Springer for £2.5k after he ate a sock a couple of years ago.

I was very lucky I saw her swallow one and rang the emergency vet straight away the vet practice is only twenty minutes away so he was able to make her sick quickly we had no idea that she had Swallowed three socks until she was sick, if I ring the vet up now they always ask is this for the sock dog. 

£75 and £90 is very cheap you lads are lucky. 

Few grand to be expected these days. 

Personally I would keep the dog in a kennel or pen that is safe and ensure it’s survival. 

Is it not just teething? Give it some stuff that is safe to chew? 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

£75 and £90 is very cheap you lads are lucky. 

Few grand to be expected these days. 

Personally I would keep the dog in a kennel or pen that is safe and ensure it’s survival. 

Is it not just teething? Give it some stuff that is safe to chew? 

He has loads of stuff to chew, he gets bored quickly and moves on to something else. He has a full set of gnashers so he's not teething.

All the dogs I've ever had I have never kept them outside in a kennel or pen, I wouldn't fancy living in a kennel, so why would a dog given the choice?

39 minutes ago, fatchap said:

He has loads of stuff to chew, he gets bored quickly and moves on to something else. He has a full set of gnashers so he's not teething.

All the dogs I've ever had I have never kept them outside in a kennel or pen, I wouldn't fancy living in a kennel, so why would a dog given the choice?

Dogs aren’t people. Don't attach human emotion or feeling to animals. People say it’s mean to put a dog in a kennel but often leave them shut away in their utility rooms or in crates that are much smaller and less stimulating than a kennel and run would be. 

I wouldn’t fancy sleeping in a dirt hole in the garden but it’s one of my dogs favourite places to snooze in the afternoon, he has multiple soft beds around the home but likes to go outside and lie in this cool corner. 

If you don’t want the dog outside then you need to put it in a crate or pen inside where it can’t chew or eat anything. 

If you don’t your dog is clearly going to do himself some harm. It’s your responsibility to keep him safe. 

It doesn’t really matter what it is or where it is, but I find that a dog appreciates a place that is theirs and theirs alone, be it kennel, bed, or cage.

I have a three year old Labrador bitch which spends all day in the house with me and   at night time she comes and tells me it is time for her to go in the kennel.

Gotta love a Staffy 😂😂 ( says the smug one whose just palmed hers off on the mother in law) 😂😂

No advice by the way I’m afraid apart from frozen carrots and odds and ends ‘hidden’ in the garden so they think it’s their idea. Of course this has the downside that if you forget they think anything’s fair game!