Steel Cartridges for Pigeons

I can well understand the comments that PPP has made, as his findings using Steel are pretty similar to mine.

When I switched from Lead to Steel a few years back I was given a slab of "big bomber" 36g 4's on the cheap to try, but I was very disappointed with the results, even close birds were not being killed cleanly, and those that were killed were literally dripping with blood when I picked them up, I concluded that the pellets were, in many cases, going straight through the birds.

I well remember dropping a young bird about 20 yards out, it came down apparently stone dead with wings folded like a brick, I went out to pick it up and it jumped up and flew away, this happened on more than one occasion that day.

This would have been a very rare occurence using a comparable lead load, (I used to shoot Winchester Western's a good few years back, I think they were 34g 5's, a cracking if somewhat expensive shell, but it would poleaxe long birds with very few runners).

I then switched to 32g 5's and 6's with pretty similar results, and mentioned to a clay shooting friend of mine, (Oliver Wilde, he now coaches at High Lodge, but was then full time keepering), he suggested I go down to a 28g  7.5 trap load.

I was sceptical at first, but my ratio of clean kills improved significantly, and they are now my "go to" load for all shooting over decoys.

Of course sometimes I will miss birds, (as Motty has witnessed..😧), but I do have quite a bit of experience using Steel for both Pigeons and Clays and I would recommend anybody looking to switch to Steel for use over decoys to give smaller shot a try.

The photo was taken exactly a year ago at the "Classic Steel Challenge" in Holland, I won second in my class and picked up 750 Euros, a great weekend..!

Cat.😎

Classic Steel Challenge1 May 2019.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, PPP said:

There’s no ‘it’ to get, these are my findings based on real world, non sponsored use of steel and lead cartridges.

Well just have to disagree 

My opinions are based on physics. I don't know what yours are based on. I have shot a hell of a lot with steel over the last few years, so I have given it a pretty good trial. It works well, providing the shooter does his bit.

7 hours ago, chip000 said:

I think Geoff gets paid handsomely for his opinions 🤔😉

Geoff Garrod is hardly one of the country's top pigeon shooters. I was talking about Anthony Poolman. He may well get free cartridges from Eley, but I trust his opinion. 

1 hour ago, motty said:

My opinions are based on physics. I don't know what yours are based on. I have shot a hell of a lot with steel over the last few years, so I have given it a pretty good trial. It works well, providing the shooter does his bit.

Geoff Garrod is hardly one of the country's top pigeon shooters. I was talking about Anthony Poolman. He may well get free cartridges from Eley, but I trust his opinion. 

Totally agree also I'd love a £ for every Duck and Goose I've cleanly killed with 32grm Steel 4's and 5's over the last 20yrs let alone pigeons rooks crow's even driven Pheasants

Edited by 6.5x55SE

1 minute ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Totally agree also I'd love a £ for every Duck and Goose I've cleanly killed with 32grm Steel 4's and 5's over the last 20yrs let alone pigeons rooks cross even driven Pheasants

Agreed. I find even steel 4’s are very deadly on geese.

1 hour ago, motty said:

Experience and honesty, simple but effective.  Sad you can’t respect other people’s opinions..

On 14/05/2020 at 21:39, JDog said:

Well Kippylawkid are you clear about all that?

😂 I had switched off from this post having received sage advice from the lads. I didn't realise that it had caused so much conjecture!

Again, thank you for all the helpful comments. 

2 hours ago, kippylawkid said:

😂 I had switched off from this post having received sage advice from the lads. I didn't realise that it had caused so much conjecture!

Again, thank you for all the helpful comments. 

You did not cause any conjecture, you asked a question i hope you got a suitable answer.

On 17/05/2020 at 20:50, 6.5x55SE said:

Totally agree also I'd love a £ for every Duck and Goose I've cleanly killed with 32grm Steel 4's and 5's over the last 20yrs let alone pigeons rooks crow's even driven Pheasants

As always, the subject soon goes "off topic", please enlighten me, what has shooting Duck & Geese with 32g 4's got to do with shooting pigeons over decoys with steel..?:w00t:

Cat😎

12 minutes ago, Catamong said:

As always, the subject soon goes "off topic", please enlighten me, what has shooting Duck & Geese with 32g 4's got to do with shooting pigeons over decoys with steel..?:w00t:

Cat😎

please enlighten US  what has shooting Duck & Geese with 32g 4's NOT got to do with shooting pigeons over decoys with steel..?:w00t:

The whole world 😎 

1 hour ago, Catamong said:

Cat😎

Duck and Geese have down + feathers where Pigeons don't have down so general belief there harder to kill than a Pigeon are you now enlightened oh and no I'm not one of those that believe  you have to shoot Duck and Geese going away so the pellets go up through the feathers but i certainly believe a Steel shot cartridge capable of cleanly killing Geese and Duck is more than enough for Pigeons well that's if the shooter puts the shot upfront

Edited by 6.5x55SE

4 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Duck and Geese have down + feathers which Pigeons don't so general belief there harder to kill than a Pigeon are you now enlightened oh and no I'm not one of those that believe  you have to shoot Duck and Geese going away so the pellets go up through the feathers but i certainly believe a Steel shot cartridge capable of cleanly killing Geese and Duck is more than enough for Pigeons well that's if the shooter puts the shot upfront

Pretty sure pigeons have feathers too...... couldn't resist.  

23 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Duck and Geese have down + feathers where Pigeons don't have down so general belief there harder to kill than a Pigeon are you now enlightened oh and no I'm not one of those that believe  you have to shoot Duck and Geese going away so the pellets go up through the feathers but i certainly believe a Steel shot cartridge capable of cleanly killing Geese and Duck is more than enough for Pigeons well that's if the shooter puts the shot upfront

I'm now lost on this one I'm afraid, anyway, I'm off out to shoot some Munty's with Steel balls from a catapult, do I need to "put the shot upfront"..?

Cat.😎

11 hours ago, Catamong said:

I'm now lost on this one I'm afraid, anyway, I'm off out to shoot some Munty's with Steel balls from a catapult, do I need to "put the shot upfront"..?

Cat.😎

As far as  silly & immature posts go that has to be the silliest ihave  ever seen on here.