Cuckoos

Kevster66

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cuckoo calling in the night at Marlesford in Suffolk last week. Friend put it down to it being a really clear bright moon lite night.  Have heard and seen nightingales, blackcaps and several whitethroats this evening. More turtle doves  back now. 5 calling on one farm. Seen 3 from my garden. Swifts back in nest boxes. Saw plenty of them and swallows feeding low over fields in the strong wind while shooting today.  Blacks and woodies really hitting the beans this year. Stockies crazed me all day. Counted 20+.       NB

There's a funny thing, I just sat down at my laptop and saw this thread and at the same time I heard the first Cuckoo of the year.

I had wondered if they'd had to go into quarantine on arriving in this country from Africa?

I’ve heard one every day for the last couple of weeks while on the dog walk. There must be a few around here as I don’t always walk the same area. I have only ever heard 1 before moving out here and haven’t seen so many swallows since I was a kid.

10 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Cuckoo calling in the night at Marlesford in Suffolk last week. Friend put it down to it being a really clear bright moon lite night.  Have heard and seen nightingales, blackcaps and several whitethroats this evening. More turtle doves  back now. 5 calling on one farm. Seen 3 from my garden. Swifts back in nest boxes. Saw plenty of them and swallows feeding low over fields in the strong wind while shooting today.  Blacks and woodies really hitting the beans this year. Stockies crazed me all day. Counted 20+.       NB

Had one keep me awake at night, which has now been joined by a Corncrake........ had to shut the windows

5 minutes ago, JDog said:

NatureBoy has Nightingales and you have Corncrakes. How lucky you are.

You might disagree if one was standing outside you bedroom window at 2-00 am, add that to the cuckoo....crek...crek...crek..cuckoo..crek ..crek cuckoo...........vermin..😄

heres a picture i posted a year or two ago

DSCN8792.JPG.99135ad697f7d4f83449281f52c1bfc3.JPG

Edited by islandgun

13 hours ago, JDog said:

NatureBoy 

You are one very lucky boy if you have heard a Nightingale.

Didn't call for long JDog as it was very windy and only saw it briefly. Was in an old osier bed. Not so much luck, farm i was on heaving with wildlife. Farmer like his father and grandfather before him works very hard providing and maintaining good/correct habitat and wildlife corridors for  shooting and conservation. Well deserves the awards they get! Saw first spotted flycatcher of year today. We had been worried about swifts and turtle doves,. But more turned up in last week.   NB

11 hours ago, islandgun said:

Had one keep me awake at night, which has now been joined by a Corncrake........ had to shut the windows

I like corncrakes, but there call can drive you mad. They remind me of fishing trips in Ireland back in the 90s. Used to have boat on the Shannon for 2 weeks. In some of the more remote areas there would be several calling all night, most nights keeping you awake . .  . . .  Strangest bird sound/duet i have heard was  a few years back at Minsmere/Dunwich in Suffolk. On a really still quiet evening a bittern and a cuckoo started calling at once close by like they were answering each other. A most unusual memorable sound that carried for miles went on for ages and there was no one else around. Very special!    NB

1 hour ago, NatureBoy said:

I like corncrakes, but there call can drive you mad. They remind me of fishing trips in Ireland back in the 90s. Used to have boat on the Shannon for 2 weeks. In some of the more remote areas there would be several calling all night, most nights keeping you awake . .  . . .  Strangest bird sound/duet i have heard was  a few years back at Minsmere/Dunwich in Suffolk. On a really still quiet evening a bittern and a cuckoo started calling at once close by like they were answering each other. A most unusual memorable sound that carried for miles went on for ages and there was no one else around. Very special!    NB

Have you got any skylarks your way?

26 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Have you got any skylarks your way?

Yes! Several about and possibly noticing them more because it's so quiet. One farm has several pairs. Have you got em? Plenty of hares about to. Doing well despite all the disturbance from pale faced random wanderers. Plenty of insects about to. Seen a lot of various species of both micro and masonry bees.  . .  . . Another thing i have noticed that may be connected to CV lockdown is, despite we are in the pollen season there are not so many people complaining of breathing/congestion problems as much as in other years at this time. Early morning air still smell great. Frosts not so good. Barking muntjac back of mine woke me at 4.45am yesterday morning. Worse than the bloody rookery now the branchers are out.     NB

14 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Yes! Several about and possibly noticing them more because it's so quiet. One farm has several pairs. Have you got em? Plenty of hares about to. Doing well despite all the disturbance from pale faced random wanderers. Plenty of insects about to. Seen a lot of various species of both micro and masonry bees.  . .  . . Another thing i have noticed that may be connected to CV lockdown is, despite we are in the pollen season there are not so many people complaining of breathing/congestion problems as much as in other years at this time. Early morning air still smell great. Frosts not so good. Barking muntjac back of mine woke me at 4.45am yesterday morning. Worse than the bloody rookery now the branchers are out.     NB

Good stuff 👍

None on my ground but I was talking to a farmer who runs a small shoot about a mile across the fields from me has got them nesting. He was putting a new fence up due having those same pale faced wanderers appearing in he's fields and farmyard despite the lack of footpaths. 

Both me and the missus have had the odd day of sneezing but yeah as you said, no where near as bad as previous years. 

We've had a couple frosts, had the top off the basil missus planted last week 😂

Caught a muntjac having a sneaky nibble on the drillings the other evening. Had the geese from a couple house's down in the garden at first light on Sunday, think they might have been calling to your muntjac 😂

10 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Iv'e never seen or heard a Bittern, understand they are reasonably common in East Anglia now