Cuckoos

Kevster66

7 hours ago, TRINITY said:

That's interesting. So can we assume that one major reason for the cuckoo decline could be linked to the decline of their host species. For instance we used to come across their eggs in meadow pipit nests. However we have had no meadow pipits in my area for years. 

If you are still hearing cuckoos in you area, and the meadow pipits are absent, I would imagine they are using other hosts.

If you are not hearing them, then you are probably right about your reasons for decline.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Heard and saw my first cuckoo of the season on Wednesday when fishing?

I don’t think the flight pattern between the sparrow hawk and a cuckoo is comparable! 

Maybe the looping flight pattern of the cuckoo is not comparable, but the direct line flight makes them similar in silhouette.

New research has proved that the chest barring and the general raptor shape, is used to scare host birds from the vicinity, allowing the Cuckoo open access. 

It is well known of the Cuckoos parasitic nesting of different species......but some other British birds are parasites of their own type, eg, Starling, Moorhen, Coot and House sparrow have all been recorded laying eggs in other birds of their species nests, the difference is though, that these eggs are then incubated and  hatched, and fledged as part of the host birds clutch, there is no egg replacement at the start, and no chick ejections after hatching, they are basically fostered into the host family.

• 5 weeks later...

On 22/05/2020 at 17:49, twenty said:

Maybe the looping flight pattern of the cuckoo is not comparable, but the direct line flight makes them similar in silhouette.

New research has proved that the chest barring and the general raptor shape, is used to scare host birds from the vicinity, allowing the Cuckoo open access. 

I don’t know about scaring host birds. When I’ve ever seen a cuckoo gliding over a meadow, it’s being mobbed by pipits

Edited by cragman

9 hours ago, cragman said:

I don’t know about scaring host birds. When I’ve ever seen a cuckoo gliding over a meadow, it’s being mobbed by pipits

Yeah, that is a typical response of pipits, they mob the Cuckoo (which is more than likely a male)......the female cuckoo stays quiet and fairly hidden, before nipping in to eject an egg ,and lay her own, during the pandemonium........which takes 10 seconds.

Edited by twenty

11 hours ago, cragman said:

Watched one laying a couple of years ago, being mobbed by at least six pipits.Amazing that her egg was accepted. The male plays no part in the female laying other than encouraging her from a distance with his calling

Female cuckoos have been recorded laying as many as 18 eggs in one season, obviously some are rejected, but that number gives a good success rate.

It seems strange that pipits will feed a near adult sized cuckoo chick in the nest, and at fledging, with all the hawk colouration, but will mob an adult cuckoo, obviously the parental bond is very strong.

On 22/05/2020 at 18:04, twenty said:

It is well known of the Cuckoos parasitic nesting of different species......but some other British birds are parasites of their own type, eg, Starling, Moorhen, Coot and House sparrow have all been recorded laying eggs in other birds of their species nests, the difference is though, that these eggs are then incubated and  hatched, and fledged as part of the host birds clutch, there is no egg replacement at the start, and no chick ejections after hatching, they are basically fostered into the host family.

you could say that of a lot of council estates........:lol:

i heard a cuckoo this spring....first time in 5 years............

31 minutes ago, twenty said:

Female cuckoos have been recorded laying as many as 18 eggs in one season, obviously some are rejected, but that number gives a good success rate.

It seems strange that pipits will feed a near adult sized cuckoo chick in the nest, and at fledging, with all the hawk colouration, but will mob an adult cuckoo, obviously the parental bond is very strong.

A female was recorded as laying 25 in a season after nest manipulation but the norm is 5-6 depending on host availability and condition of the female.