PCP advice Please

6.5x55SE

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, for what PCP or are you asking in a general way ?

In general. Years ago i had a Theoben Rapid in 20 cal really rated both calibre and Gun.

My grandson has a Gamo Coyote .22 ( which is very accurate and brought back fond memories when i used a air rifle ) which he could not get to put pellet on pellet one day when i had a go he had been loading it with .20 pellets ( wrongly bought ) . This brought up my .20 cal memory's but having no knowledge of internal workings of a pcp i thought I'd as on PW.

I changed the barrel on a Theoben very easily but have know knowledge of the Gamo Coyote and would not want to go into the workings . So basically if by just changing 22 barrel for a 20 barrel the power would be the same i don't know. Perhaps my 20 cal itch is not possible without spending a lot of money

A calibre change from .22 to .177 would normally drop from 11.5 fpe to around 9.5 fpe .so id expect a .20 to be somewhere between .

Obviously  a lighter .20 pellet will often give less energy than a heavier one .

A lot of .20 pellets are the same as there .22 equivalent  

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

changed the barrel on a Theoben very easily but have know knowledge of the Gamo Coyote and would not want to go into the workings . So basically if by just changing 22 barrel for a 20 barrel the power would be the same i don't know. Perhaps my 20 cal itch is not possible without spending a lot of money

You would need a new probe and magazine as well.

I thought you were thinking of playing with a Springer. 

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

A calibre change from .22 to .177 would normally drop from 11.5 fpe to around 9.5 fpe .so id expect a .20 to be somewhere between .

Obviously  a lighter .20 pellet will often give less energy than a heavier one .

A lot of .20 pellets are the same as there .22 equivalent  

Thanks again for your information. I vaguely remember a warning about fitting a .177 gas ram to a .22 would push it over the legal limit

43 minutes ago, Mice! said:

You would need a new probe and magazine as well.

I thought you were thinking of playing with a Springer. 

Thanks. When my grandson used by mistake .20 cal pellets in his 22 Gamo Coyote they loaded in both magazine and chamber ok if fact they grouped but was not putting pellets on pellets as it normally does. Taking yourself and others advice it would seem it's a none starter as I've looked online getting a 20 cal magazine and probe there don't seem to be any available. Thanks to all that have commented

6 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Thanks again for your information. I vaguely remember a warning about fitting a .177 gas ram to a .22 would push it over the legal limit

Yes. The wider diameter .22 is more efficient that the smaller diameter .177 (which is why like for like you've a lower shot count in a ,177 PCP vs it otherwise identical .22 PCP stablemate) so to get 12 ft/lbs with a gas ram in a .177 it needs to be be more powerful.

55 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Thanks. When my grandson used by mistake .20 cal pellets in his 22 Gamo Coyote they loaded in both magazine and chamber ok if fact they grouped but was not putting pellets on pellets as it normally does. Taking yourself and others advice it would seem it's a none starter as I've looked online getting a 20 cal magazine and probe there don't seem to be any available. Thanks to all that have commented

They do come up, just not often in places like the rapid forum.

A wanted add might be what you need?

7 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

In general. Years ago i had a Theoben Rapid in 20 cal really rated both calibre and Gun.

My grandson has a Gamo Coyote .22 ( which is very accurate and brought back fond memories when i used a air rifle ) which he could not get to put pellet on pellet one day when i had a go he had been loading it with .20 pellets ( wrongly bought ) . This brought up my .20 cal memory's but having no knowledge of internal workings of a pcp i thought I'd as on PW.

I changed the barrel on a Theoben very easily but have know knowledge of the Gamo Coyote and would not want to go into the workings . So basically if by just changing 22 barrel for a 20 barrel the power would be the same i don't know. Perhaps my 20 cal itch is not possible without spending a lot of money

hello, only .20 i had was a cheap webley springer a long time ago so i cannot compare with a PCP as only have 22s ,  i do not think you can change a barrel on the Gamo but some i know do on various rifles but have metal lathes etc, as mentioned put a wanted ad on here/ AGF/BBS you may be lucky, cheers