Love it or hate it

Old Boggy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 25/05/2020 at 13:07, ditchman said:

will eat marmite if forced.........................

but Bovril to me is like crac cocaine.............awesome dude.....on toast....on bread and butter ....hot drink and added to stews.....what more could you ask for..

definitely addictive i love a pint mug with a bachelor's beef & tomato soup one heap t-spoon of bovril good shake of white pepper stirred well, Amazing on a cold morning

• 1 month later...

It took a long while for Bovril to reach our household , the nearest we got to it was a mug of boiling water with a oxo cube dissolving in the bottom , didn't do us any harm , then for a nightcap we had a cup of Camp coffee with a spoonful of Nestles Condensed milk , sheer bliss :lol:

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

It took a long while for Bovril to reach our household , the nearest we got to it was a mug of boiling water with a oxo cube dissolving in the bottom , didn't do us any harm , then for a nightcap we had a cup of Camp coffee with a spoonful of Nestles Condensed milk , sheer bliss 

that is qite nice...........might get a bottle of camp tomorrow

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

that is qite nice...........might get a bottle of camp tomorrow

Didn't realise that Camp coffee is still produced.

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

It took a long while for Bovril to reach our household , the nearest we got to it was a mug of boiling water with a oxo cube dissolving in the bottom , didn't do us any harm , then for a nightcap we had a cup of Camp coffee with a spoonful of Nestles Condensed milk , sheer bliss 

Ah, condensed milk. The stuff of dreams. Used to eat it by the spoonful or thickly spread between two pieces of bread.

12 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I love the stuff!

IMG_20200626_135427.jpg

Do you have it with your Readybrek ?

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Didn't realise that Camp coffee is still produced.

Ah, condensed milk. The stuff of dreams. Used to eat it by the spoonful or thickly spread between two pieces of bread.

Morning Chris ..... As far as I know you can still buy Camp coffee from the super markets this day and age , before we went up market to the condensed milk we were brought up on the tins of powder milk , this we often ate straight out of the round tin by the spoon full without putting it in the water first , I am now beginning to wonder if we were normal :yahoo:

18 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Morning Chris ..... As far as I know you can still buy Camp coffee from the super markets this day and age , before we went up market to the condensed milk we were brought up on the tins of powder milk , this we often ate straight out of the round tin by the spoon full without putting it in the water first , I am now beginning to wonder if we were normal :yahoo:

Yep, I did the same with powdered milk, it was lovely used to stick to the roof of your mouth, my other favourites were malted milk or Ovaltine, all dry and by the spoonful of course, yum.

5 hours ago, Ratlegs said:

Camp Coffee  Condensed milk  a glug of Rum     followed by another  and another       enjoy

Sound like a pre dawn beverage before a days wildfowling on a very cold morning , would the Rum be Woods by any chance ? , or whatever is available at the time when needed :drinks:

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

its a pity the label has been changed...as it was deemed to be racist

in fact it has had 2 changes because of that

Edited by ditchman

On 10/07/2020 at 19:48, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I love the stuff!

IMG_20200626_135427.jpg

Readybrek! now yer talking. You don't see the chocolate flavoured one any more.

On the subject of Condensed milk, never tried it but apparently if you boil the unopened can in water for several hours the condended milk turns to toffee, anyone tried it it?

Edited by fatchap

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

boil the unopened can in water for several hours the condended milk turns to toffee, anyone tried it it?

Yep.done it loads of times.  The kids used to love it. Makes great bannoffe pie too. Just make sure water doesn't boil dry otherwise you get toffee wallpaper

available now "already boiled" but at about twice the price

• 1 month later...
On 11/07/2020 at 10:38, marsh man said:

My mother was a horder found a bottle of camp coffee in the back of the cupboard a fortnight ago 

This one was a bit to long in the tooth to use I'm afraid the best before said Jul 2007 lol 

2 hours ago, hafod said:

My mother was a horder found a bottle of camp coffee in the back of the cupboard a fortnight ago 

This one was a bit to long in the tooth to use I'm afraid the best before said Jul 2007 lol 

Not sure if the old ones ever had a sell by date on them , so no doubt if it slowly poured out of your mothers bottle we would have drunk it , very little got wasted then .:lol:

i was down at wolverton...and i had left my snap at the farm (appleton).....so the cowman said "do you like dripping on toast"....so i said coarse i do...so he made me some dripping on toast..........on the way out i saw the empty tin on the sideboard.....it had on the side WD 1942..:w00t:

im still here !!!!!

On 12 May 2020 at 13:26, AVB said:

Love it. They also do Marmite peanut butter now although it isn’t really strong enough for me so I end up putting a bit more marmite in it. 

Marmite peanut butter and vanilla ice cream. Delicious. 

and reading this thread has prompted me to make a cold roast beef and marmite sandwich. 

My daughter gave me a jar of Marmite peanut butter as her family won't touch it. I must say that it's a bit of an acquired taste, but reasonably pleasant. However, it smells absolutely disgusting and I'm a marmite lover.

OB