Tap indicators.

JDog

One tap indicator got lost somehow so I ordered a pair of new ones. All I really needed was the ceramic top but they came with a brass attachment with which they do not fit.

I suspect that the ceramic top and the brass fitting are glued together. How can I get them apart? The vice option is not an option as I have tried it.

20200512_123518.jpg

I would try as snow white suggests, then failing that hold it by the brass bit in a vice and use a small hacksaw to cut if off close to the ceramic. Any excess can be removed with a file.

A small hacksaw will cut through brass pretty easily.

Heat

possibly Acetone as long as it doesn't affect the screen printing

old trick.....try a single wrap of string around the brass bit and move it like you would a 'Bow' when trying to twist a stick to light a fire....does that make sense?  It creates a lot of heat by friction

Do you have, or access to, a bench grinder ? 

The missing Ditchy would have those ground down in seconds on his linisher.

Failing that, as said, a small hacksaw and then a bit of filing should see the job done.

Take care and mind your fingers though, you don`t want to end up like another member on this forum :whistling:

OB

10 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

on a simililar theme, what is the best glue to stick them onto the metal taps ours have come unstuck, i have tried araldite but its not worked.

I would imagine some regular clear silicone sealant would do.

12 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

on a simililar theme, what is the best glue to stick them onto the metal taps ours have come unstuck, i have tried araldite but its not worked.

CT1 adhesive,its expensive and takes a while to cure.

Gentlemen

Thank you for the various responses. The hot and cold treatment didn't work so I tried the hacksaw method which was also a failure. This morning I raided my wife's make up table and found some nail varnish remover as some have suggested. The brass fitting was placed in the vice sideways on and a dribble of acetate applied and the ceramic top just lifted off.

Where would the forum be without men who know about nail varnish remover?

16 minutes ago, JDog said:

Gentlemen

Thank you for the various responses. The hot and cold treatment didn't work so I tried the hacksaw method which was also a failure. This morning I raided my wife's make up table and found some nail varnish remover as some have suggested. The brass fitting was placed in the vice sideways on and a dribble of acetate applied and the ceramic top just lifted off.

Where would the forum be without men who know about nail varnish remover?

Great the job got done even if it was by such men that know so much about female things.