People bags

Hur5ty

And what are people doing with the shot birds?

Game dealers and butchers local to me don’t want any- one butcher I know was offered some free pigeons just to get rid, however he still didn’t want them as all restaurants are closed.

I have been contacted by a 2 farmers lately to shoot over peas, and it’s the disposing of the bag that is preventing  me from shooting.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Hitman 

29 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Definitely read that title all wrong, thought ******* hell this should be in the corona section 😂

But going sunday, not been in months... 

Maybe wrong title 🤣

29 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Definitely read that title all wrong, thought ******* hell this should be in the corona section 😂

But going sunday, not been in months... 

I have shot a few recently on rape and on peas. These have generally been mid afternoon/ early evening. On the way home from work this evening I saw a large group on some Beans which were 3 inches high. I could not tell you what they were actually feeding on. 

OSR currently green and too high for us now. Barley about 3" and mostly Crows feeding. Pigeons on flight line decoying in but flaring turning and going at about 60/70 yards no matter what we do.

Currently keeping all shot birds in large bait fridge in garage for reuse. A few pigeons in freezer for later, a few eaten. 6 crows given to a guy as feed for his beetles. Apparently he breeds flesh eating beetles, don't ask me why, I dunno. 3 Pigeon heads, 3 Crow heads and 1 Jacdaw head gone to a guy who mounts skulls and sells them. Bodies to a guy for feathers to use training his dogs.

Been looking at Crow recipes.....

19 hours ago, the hitman said:

And what are people doing with the shot birds?

Game dealers and butchers local to me don’t want any- one butcher I know was offered some free pigeons just to get rid, however he still didn’t want them as all restaurants are closed.

I have been contacted by a 2 farmers lately to shoot over peas, and it’s the disposing of the bag that is preventing  me from shooting.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Hitman 

If you are doing genuine crop protection then the disposal doesn't enter into the equation.

I have buried over a hundred rabbits a night many times in the past.   They had to be shot or trapped and nobody wanted them. 

3 hours ago, Grandalf said:

If you are doing genuine crop protection then the disposal doesn't enter into the equation.

I have buried over a hundred rabbits a night many times in the past.   They had to be shot or trapped and nobody wanted them. 

That’s a fair point, and yes I completely understand your thinking.

I will have to wrestle with my coincidence if the farmers I shoot for are have pea crops destroyed in the coming weeks.

Thank you for adding your comment to the discussion.

Hitman.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks 

I have been wrestling with the idea of how to protect farmers peas and dispose of the pigeons without burying them.

I decided to only shot as many as we could eat as a family.

My first outing was in Saturday afternoon, after spotting a decent number on a pea field. I was set up by 2pm with a decent easterly wind and bright sunshine.

Pigeons began to show interest in my 20 sillo’s and I soon had 2 for the magnet. They were coming in groups of 6 & 7’s and I was shooting only one pigeon from each group- it was more important for me to be out shooting than the size of the bag.

I shot for 3 hours and picked up 24 pigeons, which I breasted the next day - and Mrs H made an excellent pigeon casserole.

I returned to the same field yesterday and shot a further 17 - which are going to be pan fried with garlic and onions, and some for the freezer.

I was trying some Trust star shot 30g no 6 which definitely need to shot through at least 1/2 choke as they seem to throw quite an open pattern through anything less.

Hitman.