does someone know where i can get a box of

Make some steel shells up. I used some home loads on the pigeons yesterday. They were quiet and did a cracking job.

Edited to say, that I have just realised that the required shells would most likely not be fired through a hush power. My home loads weren't subsonic.

Edited by motty

Look up metro gun,  . https://www.metrogun.com/index.html

Facebook pages and instagram

Orion silencer and the metro barrels and extensions are quiet .

there is data for subsonics

1. Heavy Goose
    • Federal 3" 12 Guage Hull
    • Federal 209-A Primer
    • 19 grs Alliant "Steel" Powder
    • 1 1/4 oz. T Steel or other type of heavy, non-toxic shot
    • 3" steel shot wad, or BP Pattern Driver
    • MV 983 fps
    • Pattern with Modified Choke: 89% @ 40 Yards

2. Goose / Duck
    • 2 3/4" Federal 12 Gauge Hull
    • Federal 209-A Primer
    • 20 grs Herco Powder
    • 1 1/4 oz. T Steel(Goose) or BB Steel (Duck)
    • MV 869 fps
    • Pattern with Modified Choke: 91.8% @ 40 Yards

3. New 20 Gauge Data (Use with Metro Gun 20 Gauge Adapter System)
    • Federal 3" 20 Gauge Hull
    • 209 Primer (Any)
    • 12 grs Hodgdon "Longshot" Powder
    • RS or any other steel shot wad
    • Felt under shot wad, as required for correct crimp
    • MV 887 fps
    • Pattern with Modified Choke: 88% @ 40 yards

IMPORTANT! All of these loads are reduced-powder charges that are enough to allow for changes in wad, shot type, and under shot wads to adjust for correct crimp levels.

DO NOT exceed these powder amounts as it will greatly increase sound, and pressure will become unstable.

Be sure you understand the principles of handloading before you attempt to reload any ammunition. Any deviation from these principles can result in SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH!

20 hours ago, sitsinhedges said:

I've got everything to make these bar the non tox shot. A pound a bang isn't that much when you take that into account.  I assume you would need something like Bismuth shot.

yes i suspect bismuth 

can you swap lead for bismuth in shell recipes one for one ? i presume that ballistically it performs very similar to lead  ? 

looking here https://www.claygame.co.uk/bismuth-shot-pd7 seems to be about 54 a KG which means you can get 33 cartridges a KG ? ie £1.60 per cartridge + the hull, primer, wad, powder and labour ? so i am probably looking at £2 a cartridge ? 

is there a cheaper way of getting it  ? ebay USA seems to suggest ~£22 a KG is the going rate in the USA ? 

41 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

I agree

i am starting to think that there isnt an economic way of shooting subsonic non toxic ? does this mean in 5 years there wont be subsonic shotguns ? what do people do when they need to shoot quietly but also non toxic ? 

i am tempted to get a few boxes made up even at £2 a bang just for the hell of it so i can say i can 

On 14/05/2020 at 23:37, lancer425 said:

Look up metro gun,  . https://www.metrogun.com/index.html

Facebook pages and instagram

Orion silencer and the metro barrels and extensions are quiet .

there is data for subsonics

1. Heavy Goose
    • Federal 3" 12 Guage Hull
    • Federal 209-A Primer
    • 19 grs Alliant "Steel" Powder
    • 1 1/4 oz. T Steel or other type of heavy, non-toxic shot
    • 3" steel shot wad, or BP Pattern Driver
    • MV 983 fps
    • Pattern with Modified Choke: 89% @ 40 Yards
  2. Goose / Duck
    • 2 3/4" Federal 12 Gauge Hull
    • Federal 209-A Primer
    • 20 grs Herco Powder
    • 1 1/4 oz. T Steel(Goose) or BB Steel (Duck)
    • MV 869 fps
    • Pattern with Modified Choke: 91.8% @ 40 Yards
  3. New 20 Gauge Data (Use with Metro Gun 20 Gauge Adapter System)
    • Federal 3" 20 Gauge Hull
    • 209 Primer (Any)
    • 12 grs Hodgdon "Longshot" Powder
    • RS or any other steel shot wad
    • Felt under shot wad, as required for correct crimp
    • MV 887 fps
    • Pattern with Modified Choke: 88% @ 40 yards

IMPORTANT! All of these loads are reduced-powder charges that are enough to allow for changes in wad, shot type, and under shot wads to adjust for correct crimp levels.

DO NOT exceed these powder amounts as it will greatly increase sound, and pressure will become unstable.

Be sure you understand the principles of handloading before you attempt to reload any ammunition. Any deviation from these principles can result in SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH!

Am I missing something....Is the 20g data for steel or lead and do you know the weight ?

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

Am I missing something....Is the 20g data for steel or lead and do you know the weight ?

Email brezney.!  I guess it will be steel, and no packers are mentioned so it will be whatever you can get in the Wad. 20 to 23 grain at a guess sounds about right.  But email him he might give you more data, the BP conundrum loads have subsonics as far as i remember, but they have removed many from the archives  last year or so.

Here i just had a run down nothing lept out at me. but have a close look .

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/loadoftheweekarchive.htm

Edited by lancer425

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

Email brezney.!  I guess it will be steel, and no packers are mentioned so it will be whatever you can get in the Wad. 20 to 23 grain at a guess sounds about right.  But email him he might give you more data, the BP conundrum loads have subsonics as far as i remember, but they have removed many from the archives  last year or so.

Here i just had a run down nothing lept out at me. but have a close look .

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/loadoftheweekarchive.htm

cheers.. will have a look

22 hours ago, quentyn said:

i am starting to think that there isnt an economic way of shooting subsonic non toxic ? does this mean in 5 years there wont be subsonic shotguns ? what do people do when they need to shoot quietly but also non toxic ? 

i am tempted to get a few boxes made up even at £2 a bang just for the hell of it so i can say i can 

Just buy some steel if you need to be fairly quiet. The factory 24gm 5s I used are fine, though they have a plastic wad.

Are these for use in a hush power?

Edited by motty

1 hour ago, motty said:

Just buy some steel if you need to be fairly quiet. The factory 24gm 5s I used are fine, though they have a plastic wad.

will steel have enough energy downrange subsonic to be effective ? if it does then a steel load with those fibre wadcups could be what i need ?  

1 hour ago, quentyn said:

will steel have enough energy downrange subsonic to be effective ? if it does then a steel load with those fibre wadcups could be what i need ?  

It all depends on shot size, your quarry, and how far you take your shots.

Is this a moderated gun you are using?

2 minutes ago, quentyn said:

Sorry I am being silly here, you mean  subsonic steel? I have been told not to shoot plastic wads out of my gun as the barrels are ported along their length 

Can you even get subsonic steel ? 

Apologies I may be missing the point 

Q

No, these are not subsonic steel. I know of someone that puts 3000 steel loads with plastic wad through their moderated 20 each year. He has had no problems. I have started putting steel through mine. The cartridges aren't silent, but quiet enough for me not to need ear protection.