Turkey on the farm.

Good stuff. We have loads of turkeys in NZ. Despite being a pest species, no one is really interested in shooting them. Occasionally, a farmer will ask me to clear them out when numbers get too high. They eat a lot of grass and make a mess. Our turkeys are not hard to hunt, they are pretty stupid. I tend to use a suppressed 22LR with subsonics which means I can knock quite a few over before they realise what is going on. We avoid eating them in any month that contains an "r" as they feed on insects which makes the meat bitter. In May - August, they are as good to eat as a supermarket bird, if not better.

Hunting-Alex-Turkey2.jpg

12 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

Good stuff. We have loads of turkeys in NZ. Despite being a pest species, no one is really interested in shooting them. Occasionally, a farmer will ask me to clear them out when numbers get too high. They eat a lot of grass and make a mess. Our turkeys are not hard to hunt, they are pretty stupid. I tend to use a suppressed 22LR with subsonics which means I can knock quite a few over before they realise what is going on. We avoid eating them in any month that contains an "r" as they feed on insects which makes the meat bitter. In May - August, they are as good to eat as a supermarket bird, if not better.

Hunting-Alex-Turkey2.jpg

We are limited to shotgun and archery.  They are well hunted and very skiddish over here.  Normally you call them in but happened on this one while squirreling. People eat them but I think they are awful from the wild.  I prefer a good grain fed one from the store. 

4 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Hunting-Alex-Turkey2.jpg

Super photo in some very typical NZ countryside.  I didn't see any when I visited back in 1990 but was told they did have a lot in the vicinity.    I suppose the reason they are like eating leather in the USA is because they only shoot the old 'bucks', trophy hunting not meat hunting.  Like I enjoy a steak from a yearling spiker fallow much more than a six year old or a nice bit of yearling lamb to an old six year old ewe.

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

We are limited to shotgun and archery.  They are well hunted and very skiddish over here.  Normally you call them in but happened on this one while squirreling. People eat them but I think they are awful from the wild.  I prefer a good grain fed one from the store. 

Yes I don't like wild ducks or geese, I alway gave them away if I ever shot one. Much happier buy one from supermarket