Calling 101

When I’ve been out during the lockdown I’ve called and asked to be put through to the control room to inform them I will be carrying out crop protection. The control room then asked me my name, where I will be, what I will be using (shotgun or rifle), if I was on my own, car registration and home address. They also asked me to call when I had finished for the day. It was all logged on a daily “B2 lamping log” that they have even though I wasn’t lamping. This was Humberside force. Had no issues from them at all. Not sure if you need to ring anymore though.

Edited by JTaylor91

During lockdown like JTaylor91  I too rang 101 and received the same positive response (Avon and Somerset) 

However,  latest BASC advice draws attention to the fact that there is a difference in approach to  pest control by police authorities and so it is prudent to check with your authority before you go. In this way you will avoid problems. 

Edited by Bobba

25 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

The advice is to call the above .. what do I say and when ..do I call  Today or the morning I go ... this I for shooting pigeons for crop protection 

You are the same firearms office as me, I'm sure.

I have a recorded conversation with our chief firearms officer, I can send it if you want.

Basically he says refer them to him if you're stopped. Make sure you have some written proof of where your shooting. In your case, John's list should suffice? 

1 minute ago, hawkfanz said:

yes  john will tell u to do it,i wont call em on my local perms,and if i go yorkshire who do i fone,i live in lancashire ?

You can choose which force to be put through to if you wanted to ring the Yorkshire force before leaving home. 

so what a happens on nppc ground that covers large areas i could be anywere when i go out looking fo pigeon/blacks so where do i tell the cops were i will be if i dont know before hand,i can see this goin pear shaped for us.

2 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

so what a happens on nppc ground that covers large areas i could be anywere when i go out looking fo pigeon/blacks so where do i tell the cops were i will be if i dont know before hand,i can see this goin pear shaped for us.

Interesting as I shoot for NPPC too, but during lockdown have stuck to a perm just a few miles away.

I know N Yorks is stricter than S Yorks🤔 so looks like a precedent could be set. 

As you're allowed to drive to a destination and back in a day, I don't see the need to get a reference number. But......arguing with a stubborn cop who's a wannabe dictator.......

13 minutes ago, dm800 said:

And Cheshire do not want you to call 101 as they say it's a waste of their resources. 

It's all so confusing, no wonder the Police are turning people around. At least my local force has clear guidelines to follow.

I'm sticking local till it's a little clearer. At least I can go for the first or last couple of hours of a day. Last couple of hours tonight then all day tomorrow. 

Why phone the police now? The government guide lines have changed to allow travel to any area ,obviously comply with social distancing,take proof of your permission to be there ,if your shooting on nppc land your list and members card should suffice,and your SGC or a photo copy. Job done. I agree with hawkfanz on this it’s more red tape than we need or want. The only time I feel this phoning would be beneficial would be in a area where there has been a previous problem with people reporting shooting activity,then I could see this would be of benefit to all concerned parties.

17 minutes ago, Paul5tag said:

Why phone the police now? The government guide lines have changed to allow travel to any area ,obviously comply with social distancing,take proof of your permission to be there ,if your shooting on nppc land your list and members card should suffice,and your SGC or a photo copy. Job done. I agree with hawkfanz on this it’s more red tape than we need or want. The only time I feel this phoning would be beneficial would be in a area where there has been a previous problem with people reporting shooting activity,then I could see this would be of benefit to all concerned parties.

This. We’re all playing right into the hands of officialdom, and if we keep calling to ask permission to go shooting, like children being let out to play, then we’ll set a precedent for ourselves that won’t be reversed and our organisations will not oppose. Look how good they are at opposing ANYTHING. 

I have just rang my local police to see if it is ok to do some pest control and they said yes no problem.

The reason i always ring them is because i am shooting a rimfire in someones back garden  albeit a few acres . Next doors garden which i also cover is even larger.

It is only because i shoot in the gardens and because of the neighbours that i let the police know,  my other fields i dont bother.

2 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

I have fields booked with nppc and john asked me to call them

You don't need to inform the police. I certainly wouldn't bother. 

9 minutes ago, samboy said:

I have just rang my local police to see if it is ok to do some pest control and they said yes no problem.

The reason i always ring them is because i am shooting a rimfire in someones back garden  albeit a few acres . Next doors garden which i also cover is even larger.

It is only because i shoot in the gardens and because of the neighbours that i let the police know,  my other fields i dont bother.

You are phoning the police to ask permission to shoot? Good God!

33 minutes ago, motty said:

You are phoning the police to ask permission to shoot? Good God!

Only because of this virus lark. Plus as said i'm in someones garden and dont want the neighbours ringing the police to say there's a gunman loose.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

I have posted before that I only ever call 101 when I am in close proximity to a town (very rare) or a village where the houses are very close to the field I want to shoot.

Similarly the main reason I rang 101 was because I was shooting within sight of a fairly busy canal towpath and a power station. Before the lockdown I hadn’t bothered with 101 and I more than likely won’t bother ringing afterwards. 

4 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

the trouble with doing this is,,,it will set a precident so that you have to do it every time,i have no intention of phoning 101.

My take on it all too. I`ll be patient and wait until the situation is less restrictive ,which I now think will be relatively soon,as it`s obvious that the timetable is now driven by financial not viral needs.

1 hour ago, matone said:

My take on it all too. I`ll be patient and wait until the situation is less restrictive ,which I now think will be relatively soon,as it`s obvious that the timetable is now driven by financial not viral needs.

The situation is ALREADY less restrictive. That is my whole point!

3 hours ago, motty said:

This attitude I don't understand, the poster has been told by the person giving permission that he needs to phone 101. If I had land and gave you permission to shoot on condition you phone 101 and you said you wouldn't bother I'd just kick you off my land.

Edited by toontastic

25 minutes ago, toontastic said:

This attitude I don't understand, the poster has been told by the person giving permission that he needs to phone 101

I think the OP was quoting BASC's somewhat backside covering advice, rather than the landowner.  Obviously if it's the landowner requires it, you comply, or look for a new perm.