Calling 101

6 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

I have fields booked with nppc and john asked me to call them

4 hours ago, motty said:

You don't need to inform the police. I certainly wouldn't bother. 

24 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I think the OP was quoting BASC's somewhat backside covering advice, rather than the landowner.  Obviously if it's the landowner requires it, you comply, or look for a new perm.

This is the conversation I was referring to. The OP has been asked by the person giving permission to phone 101, In his reply to the post the other OP has said he wouldn't bother. 

7 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

The advice is to call the above .. what do I say and when ..do I call  Today or the morning I go ... this I for shooting pigeons for crop protection 

Just phone em . They'll soon get fed up with it. If we all do it this week you won't be able to get through. Then it's up to them.

If anyone rings and complains they'll come anyway as before.

When I lamp on a golf course, never used to 101,  then one night when returning to the car I was greeted by six boys in BLACK with enough guns to start a war, after showing them my license & permission  which they checked , they relaxed a bit, and asked if I would phone 101 to avoid a repeat,  trouble is you can never get through, so I just phone the control number direct.

13 minutes ago, London Best said:

Twenty years ago I started to phone in when lamping.

Without fail they sent a patrol car to investigate every time!

So I stopped phoning.

BUT, if your land owner said "you can only have permission if you phone 101" what would you do. 

6 minutes ago, toontastic said:

BUT, if your land owner said "you can only have permission if you phone 101" what would you do. 

Yes, having re-read the OP - I now understand your point.

But I would suggest the manager of NPPC is just issuing the same backside-covering advise as BASC are doling out, i.e. call 101.  That is slightly different to the actual Land Owner requiring it.

Nevertheless, not doing so is probably an excellent way to get chucked out of the NPPC with no refund, so for the sake of my membership I would call - at least for the first time.

11 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Nevertheless, not doing so is probably an excellent way to get chucked out of the NPPC with no refund.

Not following the rules is not a good idea, especially as a new member.

A few years ago I was in a deer syndicate in the Scottish borders, one of the rules was "no thermal". One day the estate manager turned up and saw 2 members using thermal. First thing they argued was it's not against the law. It may not be against the law but it's against my rules was his reply. Again they argued but it's not illegal, until he finally got sick and kicked them out for breaching rules.

Whether you fully agree or not with land owner/syndicate rules it's probably best to follow them.

On 14/05/2020 at 08:14, JTaylor91 said:

When I’ve been out during the lockdown I’ve called and asked to be put through to the control room to inform them I will be carrying out crop protection. The control room then asked me my name, where I will be, what I will be using (shotgun or rifle), if I was on my own, car registration and home address. They also asked me to call when I had finished for the day. It was all logged on a daily “B2 lamping log” that they have even though I wasn’t lamping. This was Humberside force. Had no issues from them at all. Not sure if you need to ring anymore though.

same as above

2 hours ago, toontastic said:

I seriously doubt any of the landowners on whose land I shoot have any inkling as to what 101 means.
I always call the landowner prior to shooting, especially at night.

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

I seriously doubt any of the landowners on whose land I shoot have any inkling as to what 101 means.
I always call the landowner prior to shooting, especially at night.

You are missing the point, the op joined a syndicate (nppc) and was told to phone 101 before shooting. He was advised on here to not bother calling as it's a waste of time. My point is, if you are given rules to shoot on someones land you follow them even if you don't always agree with them. 

35 minutes ago, London Best said:

We were managing the estate on behalf of the (absentee) landowner. 
We made up the rules.

But if you were shooting somewhere and you were given a set of rules and one of them was phone 101 would you do as the land owner wished or would you say screw you I'll do what I want

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

Obviously, under those circumstances you follow instructions or you are soon finished.

The point I'm trying to make is not the rights or wrongs of phoning 101 it's more about following a request.

I've never phoned 101 myself, but if I was told by my land owner I had to phone then I would.

Likewise I'd never tell someone who'd been asked by their syndicate to call 101 not to bother as it's a waste of time.

Some rules don't always make sense, but if someone is prepared to allow us on their land then the least we can do is be respectful and follow the rules. Whether we agree with them or not.

Edited by toontastic

7 minutes ago, toontastic said:

The point I'm trying to make is not the rights or wrongs of phoning 101 it's more about following a request.

I've never phoned 101 myself, but if I was told by my land owner I had to phone then I would.

Likewise I'd never tell someone who'd been asked by their syndicate to call 101 not to bother as it's a waste of time.

Some rules don't always make sense, but if someone is prepared to allow us on their land then the least we can do is be respectful and follow the rules. Whether we agree with them or not.

I agree 100%. 
But the point I made earlier was that after phoning  to say we would be lamping on ******** Park Estate, every single time the control room got it wrong and a car was despatched with a report of someone shooting. The control switchboard/whoever made the decision seemed unable to differentiate between somebody trying to help them and somebody reporting shots/poaching. 

1 hour ago, toontastic said:

You are missing the point, the op joined a syndicate (nppc) and was told to phone 101 before shooting. He was advised on here to not bother calling as it's a waste of time. My point is, if you are given rules to shoot on someones land you follow them even if you don't always agree with them. 

Fair enough, I clearly missed that part. 👍