Social distance pays off.

muncher

I had noticed a large field rape that was recieving a lot of attention by our feathered friends. I called the farm manager who informed me that no shooting during lock down! I explained to him that I have been taking care of pests the whole time,I just contacted the relevant police force and raise a incident number. He was happy with this and said, crack on then boy. I arranged to have a go on Sunday with my big brother. The weather was horrible 40 mph wind and rain and after a couple of hours with 49 picked we packed up. I contacted me old keyboard warrior mate Motty, and asked if he fancied a afternoon pigeon shooting, he obviously agreed and with Wednesday looking a good day we met at just about 12 o'clock. The field is very large and Motty asked where I thought the best flight line was, I said it was at the bottom of the field, but it's a long walk. He said he was happy and walked off with his gear and two guns, I set up about 300 yards into the field with just a rotary in front and slightly to my left. I didn't have to wait long before my first customer came confidently in. When I had shot 5 I put them on cradles, I did this until I had 20 up. I was shooting 20 an hour to start with and then in the last two hours the wind dropped a bit and my numbers increased a bit, or at least I shot a few more doubles. I kept ringing Motty to see how he was fairing, and for most of the day we were neck and neck numbers wise ,but when he was down to his last two cartridges he stopped on 88 I think at about 4.15 , I shot for about 20 minutes longer and had 101 on the clicker. Packing up took a while and a few long walks back to the trucks, with gear and bags of pigeons. I took them to the games dealer today with the total picked being 182. It was a very enjoyable day.

IMG-20200513-173847182.jpg
IMG-20200513-163905164.jpg
IMG-20200513-163857626.jpg

Edited by muncher

1 hour ago, Cranfield said:

Very nice photos, glad you were able to get out.
There are going to be a lot of very surprised pigeons in the next few days.🙂

Yes I would think so too😁

28 minutes ago, JDog said:

Bravo. I suspect that quite a few pigeon shooters miss opportunities to shoot over rape in May.

I believe you have to keep looking over all crops and look to see if there's a opportunity.

10 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

Well done to both of you that is a very good bag.
Pigeons in this part of the world seem to be playing cat and mouse with me on rape. I spot them feeding one day only for them to disappear again. 

I have a field like that one day I check and think,that will shoot tomorrow, next day they aren't there.

Another enjoyable afternoon. It was certainly busier than i was expecting. The pigeons decoyed well at times, which gave me the chance to finally get to grips with my newish 20 bore o/u hushpower. I shot pretty well with it, shooting 31 birds for 54 shots, before moving back to the 12. I was impressed by my 3" steel home loads.

I am glad the birds got shifted, as I thought the game dealers were all shut. I have been eating more pigeon than I ever have, recently!