Cleaning decking

harrycatcat1

My daughter has decking outside the back of her house and it's been painted with allsorts of "decking paint" and theΒ the paint/stain is flaking and I was wondering if something like this would give it a good clean and get the flaking stuff off? Its a karcher patio cleaner.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/karcher-t350-patio-cleaner/8206G?tc=CT1&ds_kid=92700046638549236&ds_rl=1243318&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2PP1BRCiARIsAEqv-pSh8s8Ty0TWtn9IMAQcUg36jlS30z7pH4RhXXIG-aOc3NcXd2vo55QaAqzCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Β 

Or has anyone else got any ideas firstly how to get it into a state to coat it with something to preserve it?

All answers gladly received πŸ‘πŸ‘

I use that to clean mine every year but mine isn't painted, just waxed, it does a good job of getting most of the gunk and green mossy stains off but not all.

Good luck πŸ‘

Forgot, if it is badly stained or we are going to wax it we use the metal bristled brushes Aldi and others sell for removing weeds from paths etc

12 minutes ago, henry d said:

I use that to clean mine every year but mine isn't painted, just waxed, it does a good job of getting most of the gunk and green mossy stains off but not all.

Good luck πŸ‘

Forgot, if it is badly stained or we are going to wax it we use the metal bristled brushes Aldi and others sell for removing weeds from paths etc

Thanks, what sort of wax do you use?

I was thinking of wire brushing it but the size is about 7m x 7m so there would be some sore knees there.

I know the long handled brush you mean πŸ‘

I don't suppose there is an easy wayπŸ€”πŸ€”

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Thanks, what sort of wax do you use?

I was thinking of wire brushing it but the size is about 7m x 7m so there would be some sore knees there.

I know the long handled brush you mean πŸ‘

I don't suppose there is an easy wayπŸ€”πŸ€”

Same as Boris above and our decking is 4x4 and doesn't take long with the power washer, and even if the brushing might be a bind, once it is done it's easier next year.

We power wash it once a year and wax every second. First lot of decking planks lasted 14 years and only got replaced because of an area that got damaged later started to get soft so we decided to replace all the planking.

Soak it,mix up a solution of Oxi action and apply liberally leave for a while to work then pressure wash with the spiral attachment works better than a fan pattern,leave to dry and coat with oil for best results new decking always leave for first year as to much preserver impregnation always soak new laid decking it will close any fixing holes to near invisable.

All the old decking I have replaced on jobs over the years,the ones fixed through the invert rather than overt of the board are the ones that have rotted through fixing holes.

Edited by vampire

Just done mine this year. I always use the lance, trial and error to what works best and I think the lance is it. When dry I oil it with whatever is the cheapest oil I can get. They all last the same time (about 18 months tops) before I have to do it again.Β 

This year I use barrintine decking oil from tool station. It was 20 quid for 5 litres.Β  Went a long way and looks excellent. Takes 12 hours to dry which is longer than the others (cuprinolΒ  etc) I've used before but I only used about 6 litres for 2 full coatsΒ whereas normally i use 10 so some for a top up before winter.Β 

30 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Just done mine this year. I always use the lance, trial and error to what works best and I think the lance is it. When dry I oil it with whatever is the cheapest oil I can get. They all last the same time (about 18 months tops) before I have to do it again.Β 

This year I use barrintine decking oil from tool station. It was 20 quid for 5 litres.Β  Went a long way and looks excellent. Takes 12 hours to dry which is longer than the others (cuprinolΒ  etc) I've used before but I only used about 6 litres for 2 full coatsΒ whereas normally i use 10 so some for a top up before winter.Β 

******.....should have got that rather then the stuffΒ I bought from wilko......

Put some caustic soda on the patio, drain cleaner. Leave overnight and hose down then jet wash all old paint away.

You can get some heads that fit to your pressure washer with angled spooning nozzles, cleans very well.

Edited by figgy