I’ve been waiting for these.

JDog

This wisteria was planted not quite five years ago. It was in a 3 litre pot and was 1m tall.

In year 1 it produced two racemes and hardly grew at all, in year 2 it produced ten racemes and grew well, in year 3 it produced 34 racemes and subsequently grew well enough to fill the allotted space.

The pruning regime then changed in July and in the winter from one promoting structure to one encouraging racemes. This year the plant is looking good and has two hundred and thirty seven racemes which will be at their best in a few days time unless tonight’s air frost spoils them.

F8DA3A20-965B-489C-97D6-191D5A4F2FFF.jpeg

11 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

We have Passiflora growing up the back of our house - we were told it would not survive but it's been there 20 years now and is flowering at the moment - so strong that it actually broke our double glazed window a few years back!!! 

Need a photo 👍

We had a wisterias given us two years ago. It had been dug, almost ripped from a rear garden of a house where they wanted to completely change the layout. It was not the best time but I dug a hole quickly in the corner of the yard where there is plenty of brick rubble but little soil never expecting it to survive. It did and this winter I had a look on youtube for details of how to manage wisterias and it said prune back all new growth to three to five buds. I thought this a bit severe because some of the growths were five to six feet in length, but did exactly that and low and behold it is now just coming into flower and a picture which i will put on tomorrow when the sun is on it.  It is a white variety.  Obviously a strong pruning each year encourages flowering. 

Love to see it, shame it's don't last long. I seen the biggest in the world online a video of the world's largest trees. This wisteria is a massive attraction in Japan something like 120 years old.

The way JDogs is going another five years it'll be a contender.

Looks good jd. Mines always 2 weeks behind yours and very similar but ever so slightly different. It's a touch younger too. I got to 90 when counting but the little one distracted me, hopefully next year it will cover the pegoda and have a few more on it. One of my favourite plants. 

12 hours ago, JDog said:

This wisteria was planted not quite five years ago. It was in a 3 litre pot and was 1m tall.

In year 1 it produced two racemes and hardly grew at all, in year 2 it produced ten racemes and grew well, in year 3 it produced 34 racemes and subsequently grew well enough to fill the allotted space.

The pruning regime then changed in July and in the winter from one promoting structure to one encouraging racemes. This year the plant is looking good and has two hundred and thirty seven racemes which will be at their best in a few days time unless tonight’s air frost spoils them.

What a beauty can you tell me how you prune it I have had one on the front of my garage for years but its nearly all leaves 

12 hours ago, JDog said:

Very nice JDog and obviously pruned correctly as we would expect of you. Interesting that you counted all the two hundred and thirty seven racemes. I wonder if you'd have done that if we hadn't been on lockdown :whistling:

When my Passiflora first started flowering, I used to count the flowers religiously every day and was elated when it first reached thirty. It now has well over fifty or more each year and I've stopped counting. Never sure whether the yellow fruits are edible though.

OB

A couple more pictures. Thankfully the easterly winds and frosts of last week didn't seem to affect the plant adversely.

To answer a few questions, yes the racemes are fragrant. Some varieties smell more than others. Pruning is simple once the structure ie the allotted space has been filled. I use barrel strainers on wires 450mm apart to give a tidy appearance. New growth required to fill the structure can be tied out from May to September, other growth can be cut back to five buds or so. Pruning is generally July and December. Old Boggy, yes I would have counted the racemes in any event. 

pictures wisteria b.jpg

Pictures wisteria a.jpg