Vintage butcher block? and value?

markm

3 minutes ago, vampire said:

Butchers block would be beech,this looks like softwood imitation.detail of fixings tell you more of quality age etc.

If you know about them, I’d appreciate your advice. I’m happy to send other photos. 

8 minutes ago, vampire said:

I think it's a modern built item to resemble a butchers block.

Google images.

I'm with him ^^^^

If you look at the legs you see they are reclaimed timber beams, with lath nail holes [on the left] and bigger nail holes on the right? Also the top is a solid 'lump' of pine and hasn't got any wear to it,,,, as per a 'vintage butchers block' would have.

It is a 'new' butchers block looky like, sorry 😕

8 minutes ago, JKD said:

I'm with him ^^^^

If you look at the legs you see they are reclaimed timber beams, with lath nail holes [on the left] and bigger nail holes on the right? Also the top is a solid 'lump' of pine and hasn't got any wear to it,,,, as per a 'vintage butchers block' would have.

It is a 'new' butchers block looky like, sorry 😕

Here is the top. End grain. It does drop down in the middle and looks like wear but could be man made? It’s quite heavy.  Heavier than softwood? (Lead in the legs?)

C10098D1-57D5-4845-9044-52E910E63428.jpeg

Edited by markm

A proper butcher's block is scrubbed clean with what could be described as an upside down metal hedgehog, it really does wear down the top, that was one of the job's given to me at the end of the day when I worked in a butcher's. 

4 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Do you want it. How much do you think its worth/do you want to pay?

Its only worth what someone will pay. 

I see what you are saying. But want / value are two different things. 

How much could I sell it for?  Pay £180 then sell value £40. No logic.... Although I would buy to keep 

Is it worth £180 is what I want to know....

Edited by markm

It’s modern, you can see the glue in the joints, it’s been roughly chamfered. And wood of that size all joined together is heavy. It’s certainly not an old butchers block. I wouldn’t personally give £180 for it 

not worth a lot repurposed timber    the top may as well be fence posts  annular rings too far apart  (low quality pine )  butchers block are beach wood  blocks       sorry £20 or £30  / firewood    built to appeal to more money than sense  types     however a rustic repurposed piece  shame the top is new  right cottage could look good  

Proper butchers block are going for around £400 to £900 at least dependant on age, size and condition.

That is pine or similiar softwood, you can tell from the top and the end grain. It's never been a butchers block. It's worth what you are prepared to pay as a rustic coffee table.

These are proper butchers blocks. Totally different construction and wood. Often made up of blocks or strips of hardwood in a frame that can be turned over when one side gets to worn.

1708a6b7f2d60d7696df7ecfc81b812580280a9a.jpeg

d73813e16d92f92ccfe9c7fbb925f710.jpg

Edited by loriusgarrulus

At 1st glance i suppose it would catch your eye, but then look at the legs, they are too square, clean edges the feet are not chipped or showing signs of hard work. And something else to remember they are bloody heavy, having turned plenty over, the 5 foot are a 2 man lift. 

For a piece of kitchen furniture and you like it, then its OK, but i would question the longevity of it if your going to be using it as a butcher would, and of course standing up to a needed cleaning regime. 

In comparison i bought a new 24x24x7 with stand for £200 that was a billy bargain, a bit hot though. 

Edited by Dougy

16 hours ago, markm said:

Here is the top. End grain. It does drop down in the middle and looks like wear but could be man made? It’s quite heavy.  Heavier than softwood? (Lead in the legs?)

C10098D1-57D5-4845-9044-52E910E63428.jpeg

Sorry to disappoint you, but it is as everyone is saying,,,, to me it looks like re-purposed timbers and odd bits of timber leftovers from a [skip 😕] job. Perhaps all bits from a skip 🤭

It's worth whatever somebody would pay for it, but I'd suggest around £45 as a start and see where it goes.

As someone once said,,,, good luck 😉

On 14/05/2020 at 22:09, B725 said:

A proper butcher's block is scrubbed clean with what could be described as an upside down metal hedgehog, it really does wear down the top, that was one of the job's given to me at the end of the day when I worked in a butcher's. 

I had that job when I worked in a butchers (after school job). Lots of water, bleach and scraping.