Coffee, Latte, flat white, cappuccino, espresso etc

HDAV

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, B725 said:

What about bean to cup? As this grinds the beans.

Makes no difference to the caffeine content...... bean to cup are Generally automated espresso machines (Some automated filter machines)

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

anyone tried these coffee bags ?

The ones like tea bags or ESE bags?

4 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

I like my coffee but I can’t be ***** with the faffing around. Can any of you coffee buffs recommend a good instant coffee? 

Have you tried carte noire? I don’t think anything that comes as soluble granules Will get close to freshly brewed coffee. 

5 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

I like my coffee but I can’t be ***** with the faffing around. Can any of you coffee buffs recommend a good instant coffee? 

Kenco millicano is my go too instant coffee. I've just started getting into grinding beans (Thelma machado)...don't even have a grinder haha. Mortar and pestle job then into a filter and away we go

Edited by Rob85
Adding text

9 hours ago, HDAV said:

Makes no difference to the caffeine content...... bean to cup are Generally automated espresso machines (Some automated filter machines)

The ones like tea bags or ESE bags?

Have you tried carte noire? I don’t think anything that comes as soluble granules Will get close to freshly brewed coffee. 

Carte noir, or L’or as it’s now marketed as is my go to instant. It still needs a couple of decent spoonfuls to make it strong enough, but when you get it right it’s lovely! 

10 hours ago, HDAV said:

Nothing that comes as soluble granules Will get close to freshly brewed coffee. 

I've amended this to be a better statement 😉

I changed to ground beans many years ago, and the taste of coffee made with granules now makes me feel sick 😣

Also, I find the type of sugar and the amount used makes a huge difference to the 'real coffee' tasting experience Oh, and no milk,,,, YUK 😝😂

Edited by JKD

I’ve been down this long and winding road.

It all changed about 7 years ago when I visited a garage to buy a car and got a coffee out of a Flavia coffee machine.

Looked into it - made by Marrs confectionary and the cheapest per cup serving of any pod / vacu sachet type machine and which appealed to the accountant in me. Easy to use and clean, cheap to run and no messing / faffing about with maintenance.

Never looked back and I’ve tried them all. Lavazza Italian roast or espresso for me (I like my coffee the way I like my men etc 😆)

15 hours ago, Mungler said:

I’ve been down this long and winding road.

It all changed about 7 years ago when I visited a garage to buy a car and got a coffee out of a Flavia coffee machine.

Looked into it - made by Marrs confectionary and the cheapest per cup serving of any pod / vacu sachet type machine and which appealed to the accountant in me. Easy to use and clean, cheap to run and no messing / faffing about with maintenance.

Never looked back and I’ve tried them all. Lavazza Italian roast or espresso for me (I like my coffee the way I like my men etc 😆)

Had one years ago when I worked in (randomly enough) a car dealers..... 

stuff the pod, vacu stuff, Some are ok but not cheap or sustainable

Bean to cup or grinder and manual machine..... slightly cultish. But interesting way to spend some lockdown time and money.... I bought the machine years ago now £250 gets you a basic espresso Machine at least the same for a grinder 

£500+ For a bean to cup....

enter the rabbit hole here 

I watched that and:

1. His jumper was the giveaway to what was coming

2. it’s all too precious for me - part of the reason I like the Flavia system is it is sachet in, press button and you get a coffee that doesn’t disappoint every time and there’s zero maintenance, set up or cleaning (life’s just too short right)

3. As I understand it, the Aldi £299 bean to cup machine is pants and before you get anywhere near to a machine Captain Precious Jumper Silly Round-Glasses will drink, you’re looking at spending at least twice that and that’s before buying any actual coffee. Don’t get me wrong I like to waste money on tat that amuses or interests me and my shopping excesses / wastages are too numerous to list but I just can’t see the day where I spend £600 plus on a coffee machine. Will that deliver a cup of coffee that is £600 better than what I have now? No.

12 hours ago, vampire said:

Can any of you coffee buffs recommend a good instant coffee

I used to favour Percol8 instant.  Then they changed the recipe and they sent mt 24 jars as an apology and reverted back to original blend. Then I discovered the Azeri Intenso ( Americano is passable ) I don't like the espresso one

milicano is Ok as is Lavazza Prontissimo

i bought a tin of Lidl / Aldi version...it's a bit bitter , but in a panic it is acceptable

9 hours ago, Mungler said:

I watched that and:

Will that deliver a cup of coffee that is £600 better than what I have now? No.

Of course if won’t but neither will an SO6 EELL bring down a Pigeon better than £50 baikal 😉

I probably made the same assumptions you did watching that video (I didn’t choose it because of the coffee machine) but I have since watched a few more of his videos and found them entertaining for sure.