The Irish approach PIGEON CLOSED SEASON!

I do hope NRW and Natural England are not reading this.No consultation ,All based on the scientific evidence? So easy to twist the evidence.Let this be a warning to our organisations and the general shooting fraternity.

Absolutely absurd. These surveys and what ever all seem to be done by tree hugging carrot nibblers so there out come is decided before they start. 
Bit by bit our way of life is getting eroded and will continue to happen. We are losing chunks all the time. 
All field sports no matter what forms should have stuck together. 
It all started back with the hunting act. Especially the terrier folks and lurcher people who seem to all be vilified.  Yes there are idiots but there are in all sports.
I did plan on a gundog in the next few years but the way this going maybe not.
The thumb screws are just getting tighter and tighter 

Oh look here we go let have a go at the game keepers to give our selves a job because some one may have shot a kite in april. The news is also a waste of time

A welsh news article today 

Illegal bird killings ‘surge’ during lockdown
There has been an increase in the number of birds of prey being illegally killed since the beginning of the coronavirus lockdown, according to the RSPB.

The wildlife charity said the crimes were “orchestrated” and most had connections with shooting estates.

Some of the raptors - birds of prey - targeted include peregrine falcons, red kites, buzzards and hen harriers.

In late April, a red kite was found dead in Powys after being shot.

Edited by captainhastings

13 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Oh look here we go let have a go at the game keepers to give our selves a job because some one may have shot a kite in april. The news is also a waste of time

A welsh news article today 

Illegal bird killings ‘surge’ during lockdown
There has been an increase in the number of birds of prey being illegally killed since the beginning of the coronavirus lockdown, according to the RSPB.

The wildlife charity said the crimes were “orchestrated” and most had connections with shooting estates.

Some of the raptors - birds of prey - targeted include peregrine falcons, red kites, buzzards and hen harriers.

In late April, a red kite was found dead in Powys after being shot.

Just baseless accusations, provided by unknown sources! Where is their evidence? Under C19 lockdown regulations there was no one out and about to witness such things!...........if there was they were probably breaking the law?

Edited by panoma1

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Just baseless accusations, provided by unknown sources! Where is their evidence? Under C19 lockdown regulations there was no one out and about to witness such things!...........if there was they were probably breaking the law?

Exactly yet it gets news space on the bbc and joe public see's it oh thinks omg them horrible shooting people. It does my nut in. Constant news head lines all out to grab viewers and all biased and one sided 

The thing about this for me that doesnt ring true is RSPB are say this is orchestrated with connection to shooting estates as the perpetrators are taking advantage of the lack of people being about to take notice of it.

However anyone with half a brain who has been out and about during the lockdown (I have for work) knows that someone would be more likely to get caught committing these  nasty crimes rather than less. There are dog walkers, cyclist and jogger blooming everywhere at the moment and while the lockdown was on anyone shooting would stick out like a sore thumb. So if a dead raptor was found freshly shot it wouldnt take long to work out who did it.

I see the person from the New Forest has got his step daughter a job as a guest presenter on spring watch on the BBC.Another thing I can't watch.The BBC is the worst news channel at giving out fake news.No evidence and goodness knows how old the photographs are that they put with these news items.Funny how so few prosecutions there are.People who do take pot shots at any protected bird deserves everything that comes to them and are certainly not doing us in the shooting community any favours.

Given the CV19 situation, greater emphasis in the future will be on local supply chains, food security  and even a rise in vegans 🙄 and then NI do this .......

I have no doubt that NRW (whose CEO has made anti shooting comments in the past - surprise surprise) will think of this.

Where is the NFU  ????????????? 

Given the CV19 situation, greater emphasis in the future will be on local supply chains, food security  and even a rise in vegans 🙄 and then NI do this ..

Are the restrictions not in the Republic of Ireland, not the United Kingdom eg Northern Ireland. 

Edited by ordnance

In order to shoot a bird, under EU law it has to be outside of the breeding season and pigeon etc should have a game season as this would take pressure off SNH and equivalents as general licences would only be needed outside of game season.

Unless something has happened to the contrary and the above report is short on details, Ireland can still shoot pigeon during the breeding season under EU article 9 derogation of the birds directive as a pest species if they issue general licences and have renewed the derogation as per their 2018 report and 2019 consultation.

This move has been coming as legislated for in 2009.

Link to Irish general licence below

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/eu-birds-directive-derogations

Can still shoot them 1st Sept to 30th May each year, but June, July and aug (when most young birds are about), no shooting.

I would also note that generally pigeon don't do a great deal of damage to crops in this period.

Edited by Stonepark

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

If the shooting organisations are quick they could suggest it before it comes in, get ahead of the legislation, so to speak.

Think how much money they could save not fighting it.

Well that's seems to be what happened last time!:w00t: