Where to get pups?

Word of mouth is best but I bought my last lab from pets4homes. I agree, I was looking for another recently and some prices are ridiculous. As it happens a top trialler knew I was looking and offered me a pup which I will collect at ten weeks lockdown permitting. Price is £850 which I regard as par for the course for a well bred pup north of the border.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Agree as usual 😊😊

Word of mouth from someone reputable and you can trust! If you know them yourself and can see the parents then all the better. 

Alison (Bigbird) here has some good stuff :) and picks up some very good dogs :) 

Sadly I would not take the word of a stranger about the working ability of their dogs ... I have seen many dogs now with faults or very poor workers whilst their owner brags about how brilliant they are and how many litters they have sired 😮 

Some might knock me for saying that, but If anything I can say I am honest ... anyone who asks me how my dog works, I will tell them he's rubbish :lol: he has his faults, so it's not a hollier than thou attitude I have, although I am a bit critical. 

I just think there are a lot of people out there who are either dishonest about their dogs working ability (as they want the stud fees or to sell their pups) or they are kennel blind and wouldn't know a good dog if it bit them on the balls. Dogs with hard mouthes, noisy whiners and poor hunters being bred over and over. 

Edited by Lloyd90

On 15/05/2020 at 15:03, shootingmike said:

Where do people look when after a new gun dog pup?

My last dog was family bred so I wouldn’t know where to start. Came across Pets4homes website, but am seeing pet black labs (as an example) at ridiculous money! 

Whereabouts are you and what are you looking for 👍

There's a closed facebook site that I was a member of for a bit.  Members weren't allowed to advertise pups for sale, or name prices, but that was worked around by people saying  things like 'my excellent working springer bitch,  daughter of FTW Belle of Concraig, has just had a lovely litter of 8 pups by FTCH Glenn of Coswell, etc ,etc,'.... with pictures of the litter and then it was up to you to message them. It was a pretty active group and there seemed to be some reasonable sounding dogs crop up there  - and now you're going to ask me the name of it.....):

Maybe someone else knows or can remember the name...

Practically every breed of dog has several FB pages dedicated to discussions and pictures of the members treasures and they nearly all frown upon advertising or selling puppies but it must of course go on all the same. 

I myself have been registering with the Kennel Club to receive e-mail prompts of a particular breed of terrier litter and none of the breeders have bothered to reply to my e-mail or lift their phone despite several attempts. Sad state of affairs. 

22 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Word of mouth from someone reputable and you can trust! If you know them yourself and can see the parents then all the better. 

Alison (Bigbird) here has some good stuff  and picks up some very good dogs  

Sadly I would not take the word of a stranger about the working ability of their dogs ... I have seen many dogs now with faults or very poor workers whilst their owner brags about how brilliant they are and how many litters they have sired 😮 

Some might knock me for saying that, but If anything I can say I am honest ... anyone who asks me how my dog works, I will tell them he's rubbish  he has his faults, so it's not a hollier than thou attitude I have, although I am a bit critical. 

I just think there are a lot of people out there who are either dishonest about their dogs working ability (as they want the stud fees or to sell their pups) or they are kennel blind and wouldn't know a good dog if it bit them on the balls. Dogs with hard mouthes, noisy whiners and poor hunters being bred over and over. 

As above