Binocular question ???.

samboy

22 hours ago, Grandalf said:

Buy all mine at the charity shops.   Use them like reading glasses.   Spare pairs all over the place.   If I break a pair then I just visit the charity shops and get another pair. 

Bino's or any other viewing device is only as good as your eyesight - And as mine is badly damaged by glaucoma - so spending vast sums of money on bino's is just not on. 

Always by good(ish) scopes though.   If you can't see what you are shooting at then you ain't going to hit it.

That doesn't make sense. Your eyes aren't good enough to tell the difference between pairs of binoculars but they are good enough to tell the difference between telescopic sights? 

17 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

That doesn't make sense. Your eyes aren't good enough to tell the difference between pairs of binoculars but they are good enough to tell the difference between telescopic sights? 

You are correct in your assumption but I suppose it gives one the best possible chance.  (And bolsters confidence).  Also a more expensive scope will absorb recoil much better than a cheap one.   However, I have never been able to afford a really expensive scope.   I once came second in the PW Rifle Weekend competition - pulled one shot - so the gear that I have can't be too bad.

Edited by Grandalf

On 17/05/2020 at 08:48, Grandalf said:

You are correct in your assumption but I suppose it gives one the best possible chance.  (And bolsters confidence).  Also a more expensive scope will absorb recoil much better than a cheap one.   However, I have never been able to afford a really expensive scope.   I once came second in the PW Rifle Weekend competition - pulled one shot - so the gear that I have can't be too bad.

Fair enough. 

On 16/05/2020 at 00:34, Robertt said:

The only back to back comparison should be made on a horrble dull day with some mist and rain thrown in.

It's in such conditions that high quality bins come into their own.

On a bright day even cheap bins seem to be sufficient. 

This as above.

If all you are ever doing is driving about on a sunny Summer day checking fields for pigeon activity then cheap n' cheerful is good enough. As you are using your binoculars in almost the very best sort of conditions you could use them in. So any old rubbish pretty much will look good in that sort of test.

I have run the gamut from my late father's 7x50 British Army binoculars he used when he was on light anti-aircraft in WWII through Zeiss Durllyt 10x44 to Leica 7x42BA (and these were all around the best of all of my binoculars) to Optolyth Royal 7x50 and now simply use a pair of war surplus 6x Air Ministry marked binoculars.

Cheap binoculars. When used in ideal conditions they do what I need to do. But on a dark and dirty night you get what you pay for.

Edited by enfieldspares

43 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Cheap binoculars. When used in ideal conditions they do what I need to do. But on a dark and dirty night you get what you pay for.

Ah - That would be my thermal imager and then my IR night vision. 

On 15/05/2020 at 22:11, Walker570 said:

I have a pair of Swearovs which I purchased 35yrs ago brand new, been back to the factory twice. I purchased a pair of Hawke binos for my wife and night before last I took them out with me through till dark and have to say they as good if not better than the Sw's.  Glass has come on leaps and bounds in the last 30yrs and there are some excellent glassware available at sensible prices.  I purchased a fleece jacket for my wife a few weeks ago which looks a million dollars and she constantly gets folks asking where she got it and what make it was because it doesn't have a manufaturer/seller name emblazoned on it.   It was £12 from Aldi and is so comfortable and warm she lives in it.  The name means nothing these days.

Which hawke have you got. 

Was the original question ' are Hawkes any good ? '

No it wasn't.  But yes they are good value for the money.

SV's have always been expensive but a while ago fairly affordable.

Now they are ridiculously over priced but still one of the best out there.

If was after a pair now,  I'd be looking abroad to see if there were any better deals to be had.

To make a comparison with a pair stored in a bucket of water for 35 years is a bit daft.

On 15/05/2020 at 20:13, samboy said:

HI gang. 

I have a pair of Minox 8x43 HG bino's which cost me £700 and i am happy with them.

My pal has a pair of Swarovski 8.5 x 42 which he paid £1750 for. 

The question is are they over a £1050 better than mine ?. 

Thanks all.

A few years back I went out to search for a set of bins with £1500 cash and my debit card, tried many sets in several shops over a month or two, when I eventually settled on a set it was a set of Minox 8x 43 HG bins I came home with, paid £550 not to long after that model came out. Great bins that suited my eyes and whilst the more expensive bins, £1700 swarovski etc were marginally better, they weren't £1000 better. 

Sure you can buy cheaper bins, and I've looked through lots of those, but for me by direct comparison the minox HG's were a good step above most and close enough to far more expensive models for me.

The short answer is no.

I have spent many hours in bird hides and often people will let you try their optics. I've tried the top end makes but they aren't say £1,000 better than my £599 Nikons and like earlier said how good is your eyesight.

If I was starting out now I would go Chinbin.