im mainly re-building a .....

ditchman

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Very nice, your photographic skills have developed during the lockdown.

What type of size (sp) do you use?

an acrylic size....it looks like PVA...........it is very thin...and i will apply it warm on warm with sable gold leaf brushes......reason i choose the acrylic size is it has a 24 hour working window....many gold leaf jobs can be spoilt when the leaf is put on too early and the size will deform........

10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

an acrylic size....it looks like PVA...........it is very thin...and i will apply it warm on warm with sable gold leaf brushes......reason i choose the acrylic size is it has a 24 hour working window....many gold leaf jobs can be spoilt when the leaf is put on too early and the size will deform........

I think when my Great Grandfather did gates he used something based upon egg yolk?

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I think when my Great Grandfather did gates he used something based upon egg yolk?

possible...............early painters...way back when used egg as a binder i belive...............what part i cant remember...........scully is a dab hand with the paints so he would tell you..

did you hear anything back from him regards the knife ?

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

Following this with interest - Those French circular movements are incredibly well made, a real precision job and capable of keeping excellent time.

i have been doing a bit of research on the movement...........it seems there were 2 or 3 makers....the most prolific maker is the one i have...those movements and dial plates were in about 15-20 different models ......the castings were all made by 2 or 3 makers in bronze and latterly spelter and the marble i think was made by one maker...usually what ever he had to hand...as for this model i have seen 3 very slightly different designs...........

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have questioned some of his posts in the past!

welll you are a very naughty boy...and you should be chastised

10 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Ye olde egg tempera. Egg yoke diluted with water and splash of vinegar. Commonly used with added pigments in 1500 before oil paints. Still used in restoration on paintings in churches etc. Aint done any proper gold leaf since my apprenticeship days at college. Little call for it now. Gold leaf cheaper now than it was then. Aint done marbling graining or ragging for ages either. All were very sort after decorative skills back in the day. I have some old books from 1890's showing invoices where a master decorator with his apprentice was charging £30.00 a week for such skills. lot of money back then. Was all very secretive and often carried out behind locked doors to stop others seeing and trying to copy such skills.        NB 

7 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Ye olde egg tempera. Egg yoke diluted with water and splash of vinegar. Commonly used with added pigments in 1500 before oil paints. Still used in restoration on paintings in churches etc. Aint done any proper gold leaf since my apprenticeship days at college. Little call for it now. Gold leaf cheaper now than it was then. Aint done marbling graining or ragging for ages either. All were very sort after decorative skills back in the day. I have some old books from 1890's showing invoices where a master decorator with his apprentice was charging £30.00 a week for such skills. lot of money back then. Was all very secretive and often carried out behind locked doors to stop others seeing and trying to copy such skills.        NB 

Thank you for confirming my memory still works!:good:

9 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

egg tempera..............thats the kiddy..well done...........

i bought a load of dutch leaf in the 1980's to do something  and even that was expensive....reason i bought it ...cause it was much cheaper than the 24 carat leaf which was really expensive......i bought a pack of 500 24 carat leaf sheets for this project and was amazed at the low cost of it...........

16 minutes ago, ditchman said:

egg tempera..............thats the kiddy..well done...........

i bought a load of dutch leaf in the 1980's to do something  and even that was expensive....reason i bought it ...cause it was much cheaper than the 24 carat leaf which was really expensive......i bought a pack of 500 24 carat leaf sheets for this project and was amazed at the low cost of it...........

You may find when they are delivered that you bought 500 carrot leaves which is why they were so cheap.

45 minutes ago, JDog said:

You may find when they are delivered that you bought 500 carrot leaves which is why they were so cheap.

i did wonder............anyway they are here and look the real deal.........i looked at several websites and they are all a similar price....these leaves are very thin which is what i need for the detail

time will tell.......i want to get on and test them out....but i must finish one thing at a time....must tackle the rest of the castings ...

Interesting! Just had a look and ordered some myself to have a go again  and experiment with. Can feel a Klimt thing coming on. 😉 Found 100 sheets of 24k, size and kit for £13.00 on line. See what turns up. So cheap! . . . . We were watched like hawks when doing it in my youth in case we tried to nick any. Last proper job i done using it was 17 years ago. That was restoring fluted columns and mouldings in a museum     NB

had a bit of spare time so i thought i would get on with it..........all the metal work that was holding it together had a bloom of rust on it....so that has all been cleaned ...and i have re-blued all the washers and stuff............it is all in a jam jar now and before i assemble it i shall put a very fine shellac coat on all the steel stuff.......

started work on the main plinth and it is now back to the original colour.....i have put an uncleaned outrigger in the same pic to show the difference......i shall leave that now and do the other bits of marble....and before i assemble it i will gold leaf the beading which i removed and i will gloss polish it with the jewellers rouge on my buffing machine...then wash it off with degreasant and that will be done then.......

i will continue with the marble cleaning and the stripping of the paint and leaf off the rest of it.....i will order up some clock cleaning fluid to put the mechanism in.....dosnt need taking apart as that was done 10 years ago....just needs a good clean and micro oil....with 6 sable hairs on a brush...(just touch it and leave it)

clock bits 001tn_.JPG

clock bits 002tn_.JPG

clock bits 003tn_.JPG

clock bits 004tn_.JPG

clock bits 005tn_.JPG

clock bits 006tn_.JPG

clock bits 007tn_.JPG

clock bits 008tn_.JPG

clock bits 009tn_.JPG

clock bits 010tn_.JPG

clock bits 011tn_.JPG

clock bits 012tn_.JPG

4 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Meticulous as usual Ditchy and coming along at a rate of Knots. Was there any cleaning fluid used on the marble plinth or just sanded? . I am looking forward to the gold leafing.

Ditchman, "the man with the Midas touch"

i did try some cleaning fluid ........but the staining had gone too deep a layer needed to come off hence the wet & dry...........broke on of the bead strings   as i needed for them to come off to be cleaned and straightened........so they are made of brass and it was no sweat to weld it back together....cant see the join now...and it has to be sized and leafed..

Edited by ditchman