im mainly re-building a .....

ditchman

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

i did try some cleaning fluid ........but the staining had gone too deep a layer needed to come off hence the wet & dry...........

I always wondered how staining  was taken out of marble. A taxidermist I knew many years ago picked up a lot of victorian taxidermy stuff and his father was a antique dealer, he used to do lots of restoration on the taxidermy and antiques and had a wall full of all manner of restoring materials. Used to be a very interesting  day out going to see him.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mended the bead and cleaned it using the high speed soft steel brush......sanded the left hand plinth back to its original colour................you know im not sure wether to polish the marble yet to a gloss finish ......still thinking about that.....if i dont polish it  it will be a smooth soft flat white which will compliment the gold leaf which will be in most places a smooth soft matt gold with a nice bloom.......:hmm:

restripped the pendulum (regulator)..........and i will leave the other bits of the marble ....and continue to strip the rough finish off the left hand casting ..like what i did to the other one..............

we progress......

clock beading 001tn_.JPG

clock beading 002tn_.JPG

clock beading 003tn_.JPG

clock beading 004tn_.JPG

clock beading 005tn_.JPG

clock beading 006tn_.JPG

clock beading 007tn_.JPG

clock beading 008tn_.JPG

clock beading 009tn_.JPG

clock beading 010tn_.JPG

clock beading 011tn_.JPG

clock beading 012tn_.JPG

clock beading 013tn_.JPG

clock beading 014tn_.JPG

clock beading 015tn_.JPG

clock beading 016tn_.JPG

clock beading 017tn_.JPG

clock beading 018tn_.JPG

clock beading 019tn_.JPG

clock beading 020tn_.JPG

clock beading 021tn_.JPG

clock beading 022tn_.JPG

9 hours ago, Gordon R said:

When I see your work, I always laugh. Not at you, but at the gap between your level of skill and mine. 

Keep it up.😀

you do the teknicle stuff and i will do the fiddly bits............im sure that is how NASA work when building a moon rocket :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

OK soooooooooooooooooooooooo, the mole job is over and its TIME to start on the clock.:good:

keep yer knickers on ive got another small projects to post up first..................all in good time (see what i did there...:lol:)

• 3 weeks later...

First part of leafing in progress...........basically what you are doing to begin with is lay the leaf on the size..press it in...........then using various sable brushes work it in to the courners....press it in and then start removing the excess....with a make up brush using circular motions............you will be left with overlap lines and this need to be smoothed out with toilet paper in little circular motions and bit by bit the lines will dissapear...........then when it is all covered and to this stage...left for 24 hrs to dry and then lightly buff with a very soft lint free cloth........

i wont put anymore pics up at the moment cause it is difficult to concentrate trying to do both things...........

gold 001tn_.JPG

gold 002tn_.JPG

gold 003tn_.JPG

gold 004tn_.JPG

gold 005tn_.JPG

gold 006tn_.JPG

gold 007tn_.JPG

gold 008tn_.JPG

gold 009tn_.JPG

gold 010tn_.JPG

gold 011tn_.JPG

gold 012tn_.JPG

gold 013tn_.JPG

gold 014tn_.JPG

gold 015tn_.JPG

gold 016tn_.JPG

gold 017tn_.JPG

gold 018tn_.JPG

gold 019tn_.JPG

gold 020tn_.JPG

just to end up for today..........not overly impressed with the size.....it says it has a working window of 5 hours............huh more like 1 hour.........i will have to redo a couple of areas....

when i work on the left hand side cherub i will have to do a bit at a time....rather than the whole casting...........

gold 2 001tn_.JPG

gold 2 002tn_.JPG

gold 2 003tn_.JPG

gold 2 004tn_.JPG

gold 2 005tn_.JPG

gold 2 006tn_.JPG

gold 2 007tn_.JPG

gold 2 008tn_.JPG

gold 2 009tn_.JPG

25 minutes ago, woody walloper said:

is there anything you cant do.

there is loads of stuff i am truly useless at ............believe you me i have turned out some utter carp in my time..........

gardening is one.............my idea is "slash & burn"..........petrol and horsepower...and nitrates

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

That's some really cool stuff you're doing there Simon 👍

its not the sort of job you do if you have hay fever.......:lol:

EDIT

wasnt happy with the finish.........so i have stripped it allll off...........2hrs work down the pan........nothing wrong with the gold.....it is the size im using...it is very temperature sensitive and it went on too thick with one of my sable brushes.........so i rang Polyvine.....(the maker)....and told them i was having problems with the thickness and the temperature.....could i thin the mix using distilled water..........manager said yes ...but do a test first..........so i thinned it 30% water the rest the acrylic size..............painted some on one of the cherubs legs...and it went on nice and very even.and after 10 mins it was clear and not a single brush stroke on it...........sooooo i laid one small sheet of 24carat leaf on the area...and patted it in with the sable brush and wiped it gently with a clean soft tissue

BLOOODDY PERFECT...:ernyha:

gold 3 001tn_.JPG

gold 3 002tn_.JPG

gold 3 003tn_.JPG

gold 3 004tn_.JPG

gold 3 005tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman