200 yard memory, 200 yard blind

Was out for a walk to destress tonight (had to do some first hand debt collecting from a client who wasn’t paying, then back to back conference calls). Anyway I found a little bit of cover that had been sprayed off and was perfect for a retrieve. 200 yard sit stay and blind for the old dog (second runner) and a 200 yard memory for the young bitch. I see a lot of people doing memory retrieves on straight footpaths etc which is not very worthwhile for the field. Dogs need the distraction of open ground, game trails, tall cover and having to work for the retrieve not given to them on a plate. https://streamable.com/e/tiqm8b

<div style="width:100%;height:0px;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.667%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/tiqm8b" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px;overflow:hidden;"></iframe></div>

On 15/05/2020 at 20:33, WalkedUp said:

Was out for a walk to destress tonight (had to do some first hand debt collecting from a client who wasn’t paying, then back to back conference calls). Anyway I found a little bit of cover that had been sprayed off and was perfect for a retrieve. 200 yard sit stay and blind for the old dog (second runner) and a 200 yard memory for the young bitch. I see a lot of people doing memory retrieves on straight footpaths etc which is not very worthwhile for the field. Dogs need the distraction of open ground, game trails, tall cover and having to work for the retrieve not given to them on a plate. https://streamable.com/e/tiqm8b

<div style="width:100%;height:0px;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.667%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/tiqm8b" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px;overflow:hidden;"></iframe></div>

What's the cover in that field? Looks good, bet its not to hunt through with a pointer :)

On 17/05/2020 at 11:49, Cranfield said:

Very impressive and you are right that dogs as they advance need more variation and other elements in their cold retrieves to test them, I think they enjoy it more.🙂

The video does play a bit fast, but you get the idea.

Yes I didn’t realise that when you record in timelapse on the iPhone you can’t choose the playback speed, it automatically determines it. Also, embedding the video didn’t work well 🤣

I think it is a old fallow rotation or set aside that’s been sprayed off. Good cover for a dummy to get tucked into but open enough to have a wind. I am careful to avoid likely spots for leverets or nests at this time of year. I waked the field and no birds got up, all cover was dead. 

Not quite in the same vein by my Springer will remember where I have hidden a ball after walking nearly 3 miles around a Woodland (just under an hour) - as we get close he becomes agitated and starts asking to be sent to pick it up - I normally hide it about hip height in a tree or small bush or occasionally under a heap of grass cuttings but no matter where, he knows where it is.

• 3 years later...
On 19/05/2020 at 14:03, bruno22rf said:

I normally hide it about hip height in a tree or small bush or occasionally under a heap of grass cuttings but no matter where, he knows where it is.

A very good idea… would never have found this “dead” bird without a dog that doesn’t have its nose onto the floor. 

13548591-3DF9-4ED6-97EF-65AE0829D0DA.jpeg