The black hut?

wildfowler.250

1 hour ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Is the black hut on the Humber still in existence? I’ve seen it mentioned once or twice but It’s a lot further south than where I’m based but was just curious. Is there any wildfowling still on that particular stretch of the Humber?

Cheers!

Still wildfowling on there . Not sure the hut  is still there.

It vanished as a result of work done at Patrington Haven to remedy flooding in September 1969 according to Graham Downing's book "A Sporting Century". It was reported at the time as being washed away by a big spring tide but it seems there was more to it than that as it stood on high ground and they had already cleared away Duncan's punt sheds.

The black hut has long gone. But interestingly HERWA erected a monument some years ago to honour the work and life of Stanley Duncan. The monument is placed on the site of the black hut.

If you search google there are a number of photos of the monument online.

58 minutes ago, Impax said:

The black hut has long gone. But interestingly HERWA erected a monument some years ago to honour the work and life of Stanley Duncan. The monument is placed on the site of the black hut.

Thank you for that interesting fact. I'll never get to see it but it is nice to know such people are not forgotten. Thank you.

7 hours ago, Impax said:

If you search google there are a number of photos of the monument online.

That’s a nice touch, will have a google. Cheers!

The two north bank clubs with some financial help from BASC erected a memorial to Stanley Duncan/ black hut at Patrington haven (a large land drain).  Although it is not exactly at the same place, I believe the hut was on the north bank and the memorial is on the south side. They made a good job of it, in the shape of a trig point with information plates placed into the concrete on either side.  

The surrounding land is much drier now, I think in Duncan’s day it was recently reclaimed wet grazing marsh. Now it bone dry arable land.  We shoot the foreshore close by and there is a very big managed retreat project in the pipeline which should in years to come greatly improve the habitat for wildfowl in that locality.  But from past experience we are also extremely very wary, as we have lost shooting ground where such projects have happened in the past.

46 minutes ago, scolopax said:

The two north bank clubs with some financial help from BASC erected a memorial to Stanley Duncan/ black hut at Patrington haven (a large land drain).  Although it is not exactly at the same place, I believe the hut was on the north bank and the memorial is on the south side. They made a good job of it, in the shape of a trig point with information plates placed into the concrete on either side.  

The surrounding land is much drier now, I think in Duncan’s day it was recently reclaimed wet grazing marsh. Now it bone dry arable land.  We shoot the foreshore close by and there is a very big managed retreat project in the pipeline which should in years to come greatly improve the habitat for wildfowl in that locality.  But from past experience we are also extremely very wary, as we have lost shooting ground where such projects have happened in the past.

Very informative! It’s really a shame that there’s not more buying up of land with wildfowling clubs. I know financially and size wise there’s a vast difference to the UK but Ducks Unlimited in the states seem to have the right idea. 

2 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Very informative! It’s really a shame that there’s not more buying up of land with wildfowling clubs. I know financially and size wise there’s a vast difference to the UK but Ducks Unlimited in the states seem to have the right idea. 

It was by owning some land that we managed to maintain our wildfowling.  To the various agencies and NGO’s who suddenly come out the woodwork when projects like this start you are a nobody unless you actually own the land, then their attitude changes and they have to work with you and not push you into the sidelines labelled a mere tenant