Looking for a dog

kentish

Actually I'd prfer a bitch, but looking for a gundog as a family pet, running companion and something I can train hopefully to start wildfowling with. Don't especially want a pup but must be young and biddable. Springer/field spaniel/Cocker or an HPR breed. Don't want anything too big, and preferably local. Thanks!

I think your selling yourself short not considering a retriever breed considering you want the dog for Wild fowl... as well as the other things you mention I imagine it will be around family and a good lab will be less likely for the family to spoil and mess up. 

Whilst cockers are brilliant little dogs I certainly wouldn’t buy one with its intended purpose being wild fowling. 

Just my opinion as if you get the dog and it’s not up to it your stuck with it. 

16 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Working labs are considerably smaller than almost every HPR except for a Brittany, which is only a dog for experienced HPR handler who wants to shorten their own life. 

Smaller in height, but some labs appear to be thicker set than some HPR’s. 

It’s not just the size though as well. A labs thick double coat that’s pretty much designed to sit on the foreshore. Natural retrieving. Notoriously simple to train for even a beginner. 

I wouldn’t say the same thing about many HPR’s ... the name itself is a bit of a give away, they're designed to hunt and point before retrieving, active dogs that want to be on the go. 

I know HPR’s are very versatile but would you recommend one as a first dog to train? 🤔 

I would only recommend as a first gun dog but only to someone who is fit and doesn’t shoot 🤣. A Labrador is a great gun’s dog, whereas HPRs are great gundogs. Hard to split your attention from the dog to the gun, generally the suit women better. Lots of the best gundogs I’ve known are were the husband shoots and wife just works the dog. My shooting buddy wanted to get an HPR but I persuaded him to get a Lab. I’ve trained different dogs and would say Labs are on par with a good HPR for land retrieves, but far better in water, just much more natural. The labs have also been much steadier out of the box. 

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Smaller in height, but some labs appear to be thicker set than some HPR’s. 

You say thicker set, I would say fat 🤣 I appreciate they have a lovely double coat but almost every Labrador including countless working dogs I’ve seen has been very unfit. The only ones you can guarantee to be in good shape are the keeper’s dogs on upland shoots. I saw one squeeze through stock netting, a great dog. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

This is what an actual athletic (or working dog) looks like... you don’t see many lads in the in the Olympic athletic events with rolls of fat 🤣 

8D9CBEFC-6EA7-4D32-9FEE-66D45D04EE63.jpeg

What a cracker, would love to hear his exercise routine he looks in top shape. 

I would love to shoot walked up over him, but I’m not sure I’d want to send him into frozen water 😬 

Fat labs float better 😂😂😂

He was 10 when that picture was taken in Jan, my dogs get 30/45mins in the morning due to work and children. Mainly heeling on the walk. But they work twice a week from mid July to mid February. They are very thin coated and whilst great at swimming in icy water they get very cold if sat still for periods afterwards. They get frostbite on ears so Vaseline helps. Labradors are much much better on the marsh than HPRs, it is no contest. If I had time and money I wouldn’t buy a flash car, I would build better kennels and get a lab or Chessie and a little cocker.

The fittest dogs I’ve seen have owners who cycle off road or have land they can hunt over everyday, such as open Moor. I’m against free running on land ground nesting birds use during April/May/June. 

9 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

He was 10 when that picture was taken in Jan, my dogs get 30/45mins in the morning due to work and children. Mainly heeling on the walk. But they work twice a week from mid July to mid February. They are very thin coated and whilst great at swimming in icy water they get very cold if sat still for periods afterwards. They get frostbite on ears so Vaseline helps. Labradors are much much better on the marsh than HPRs, it is no contest. If I had time and money I wouldn’t buy a flash car, I would build better kennels and get a lab or Chessie and a little cocker.

The fittest dogs I’ve seen have owners who cycle off road or have land they can hunt over everyday, such as open Moor. I’m against free running on land ground nesting birds use during April/May/June. 

Those chessies are big brutes, I have heard they are quite protective and aloof (not always a bad thing). 

I have joined a fowling club this year. I also wish I had more room and a kennels I’d either look for a lab or a chessie specifically for fowling :) 

However for now young Ted is going to have to do his best and I will try and avoid sending him on anything too hard. 

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What a cracker, would love to hear his exercise routine he looks in top shape. 

I would love to shoot walked up over him, but I’m not sure I’d want to send him into frozen water 😬 

Fat labs float better 😂😂😂

all my dogs "showed a bit of rib"...............

17 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Could be another thread entirely... Dream kennel - what dogs?

As I have read, everyone should train a cocker at least once... just to see how lucky they are with the other breeds :lol: 

It would have to hold a spaniel or two ... maybe 2 springers, a cocker, something for foreshore shooting (Lab or Chessie) and a bit of a do it all'er in a HPR. Maybe a GWP but I do like the HWV's :) 

This is all pending on the condition that I have access to lots of hand, with lots of game :lol:  ... personally if push came to shove I would settle for loads of land with loads of game and make do with a brace of spaniels to manage the lot ;)