Cleaning barrel before use ( new gun )?

rayo

33 minutes ago, rayo said:

Hw100 forums 👍

hello, ok i would not use a pull through, an air rifle size cleaning rods with brass screw ends/and wooly mop, white spirit, from barrel end and a few goes cleaning , then push some soft tissue through towards breech,  careful of the breech seal, once it cleaner i use gun oil spray and shoot out a few fag filters, mine PCP is 22

Can only speak for my mates HW100 and mine.

Couldn't believe the amount of ****e that came out the barrels from the factory.

Definitely no chance of any corrosion whilst waiting to be sold but they won't shoot worth a damn till the that gunge is out.

Now both are tack drivers.

It is standard advice with cleaning rods. No metal to metal contact anywhere, coated rod from the breech and stop before the jag fully exits the muzzle. You must know this opp. ANY tiny burr or mark on the crown will affect accuracy. 

I use a pull through from the muzzle (on air rifles) but I feed the plastic coated line with carbon fibre loop through carefully by hand with the muzzle break removed so I can see exactly what I'm doing. 

1 minute ago, London Best said:

Emphatically yes.

Sussinctly beat me to it. 

PCP barrels need regular cleaning, springers don't as the air is laced with vapourises oils that coat the barrel helping to keep leading to a minimum.

A simple bit of strimmer cord or sea fishing line a peg one end a loop the other will do as a pull through. No need for fancy kits. 

You'll know when it needs cleaning as it will have a poi shift down and accuracy may go off too, a dirty barrel can lose a foot pound of energy over a clean one.