Looking for a field

Hi all, 

I am trying to find a field where me and my friend can go to train our dogs to get them used to gun shot. Dont necessarily want a new pigeon permission, we do want the permission to fire a shotgun and throw dummies etc,  I am located near Bristol but am will to travel within reason for the right field.

Obviously I'm new on here and thought I'd try my luck on a few different sections. If we get a permission out of it then that would be a bonus however not essential we just want somewhere we can get the dogs used to hunting and gunshot.

Just now, Wb123 said:

Good luck. 

I have a few acres at home and it makes life much easier having easy access to space. 

If no field is forthcoming your local gundog clubs may have an agreement for some training space. 

Hopefully something will come of this, have been trying to find somewhere local for quite a while

You can use a dummy launcher in public as long as it doesn't have a stock and does not resemble a firearm (so like a turner Richard's one). Although if you HAVE to resort to this you may be better off going somewhere out of the way and be discreet as it's not worth a lot of bother.

DO NOT use a starter pistol on land you don't have permission to be on. 

What dogs have you got and what are you trying to train them for? Taking a dog to a random field in the city won't teach it to hunt, as there'll be no game ... 

1 hour ago, mossy835 said:

no way would i go in a park with a dummy launcher cops will all over you, you know what this stupid country is like.one bang your off to the cop shop.big nanny state,

I've used mine is some parks with no bother, discreetly, away from people. Nothing illegal about it just a bit of common sense needed. 

If your going to start firing it off down the busy park with people's kids riding their bikes past etc then your obviously going to attract attention. 

45 years ago I got banned from the local “country park” by the chief ranger and when I refused to accept his decision by the local County Council Parks Manager for using a Turner Richards in thousands of acres of empty countryside which had just been taken over by the County Council and declared a country park. I knew the area like the back of my hand and led the poor rangers a merry dance by firing it and scarpering then firing it again.

I spoke to my local police force regarding using a dummy launcher, they said that as it fired from a spigot not a barrel and did not resemble a gun it was technically fine to use anywhere. However, they said, if I use it near members of the public they will call 999 and they will send armed response every time so they said to use common sense. I went to a local farmer (who doesn’t allow shooting) and he gave me permission no problem. I also used it on public land at odd times of the day when no one is about (with correspondence from police in my breast pocket). 

45 minutes ago, London Best said:

45 years ago I got banned from the local “country park” by the chief ranger and when I refused to accept his decision by the local County Council Parks Manager for using a Turner Richards in thousands of acres of empty countryside which had just been taken over by the County Council and declared a country park. I knew the area like the back of my hand and led the poor rangers a merry dance by firing it and scarpering then firing it again.

The rangers make the rules up. A retired police officer training gun dogs accosted me for training my dogs on public land carrying a dummy launcher. He had a “verbal agreement” from the local ranger that he could run gun dog classes in the area and charged people for it, therefore in his eyes no one is allowed to train their dogs on the 1000+ acres. Unfortunately he made a huge miscalculation as in his head he was still the big 6’2” policeman not a 50+ year old man. I firstly recorded what he was saying and then tore a strip off of him in front of his pupils and explained that what he said would be issued to the police force and the local council, I recorded his reg plate and gave him the dressing down he deserved. Considering he had confronted me whilst I was minding my own business and not even using the launcher I honestly don’t know what he expected. Funnily enough he has never bothered me again. I will still have the video on my old iCloud account, if I can get back into it I will post up on PW someday. Prime example of someone making the law up on the spot. 

On 16/05/2020 at 19:40, WalkedUp said:

The rangers make the rules up. A retired police officer training gun dogs accosted me for training my dogs on public land carrying a dummy launcher. He had a “verbal agreement” from the local ranger that he could run gun dog classes in the area and charged people for it, therefore in his eyes no one is allowed to train their dogs on the 1000+ acres. Unfortunately he made a huge miscalculation as in his head he was still the big 6’2” policeman not a 50+ year old man. I firstly recorded what he was saying and then tore a strip off of him in front of his pupils and explained that what he said would be issued to the police force and the local council, I recorded his reg plate and gave him the dressing down he deserved. Considering he had confronted me whilst I was minding my own business and not even using the launcher I honestly don’t know what he expected. Funnily enough he has never bothered me again. I will still have the video on my old iCloud account, if I can get back into it I will post up on PW someday. Prime example of someone making the law up on the spot. 

😄